[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I got a Raspberry Pi 3B as a gift and I love it. Very neat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1450486521139.jpg (74 KB, 650x754) Image search: [Google]
1450486521139.jpg
74 KB, 650x754
So I got a Raspberry Pi 3B as a gift and I love it. Very neat and powerful little box. This device, however, isn't what I'm posting about.

After installing the default Raspbian OS and booting it up, I browsed around what was installed and found some files in My Documents. One of these files was a Pac Man template for a program called Scratch, which is a super high-level programming language for kids to learn. I (21yo college student) have a little sister (7yo) who was sitting with me when I was messing with it, and she asked to mess around with the Pac Man game. She edited all the sprites to look like how she wanted and made the ghosts move faster to make it more difficult. Her eyes lit up messing with the code and hunting through options, then she asked if a Raspberry Pi was too difficult for her, because she wanted one. Knowing the intricacies of linux, I hesitated, but still said no it's not too difficult, "but I should probably be around to help...and I'm going back to college next week".

How do I keep the dream alive, /g/. Is it too early? Should I just buy her a Pi, then when something goes wrong, let her figure it out/lose interest? She's only 7, she only gets this time of her life once.
>>
>>53564332
buy it for her anon
>>
buy it for her bro
>>
Congratulations, you have just enticed your little girl to think coding is as easy as taking someone elses work and plagiarizing it. She will be one of those "gurls on computer science" that end up being the teams social media expert.

Please hurt yourself.
>>
>>53564332
Write letters to her with code. Letters, not e-mail.
>>
>>53564388
virgin alert
>>
>>53564332
it's early, but she'll probably grow into it
and if she finds out it's not right, you get a second raspi :^)
>>
>>53564388
>NEET looking down on a 7 year old
ayy lmao. i wish someone taught me shit like that when I was a kid and I bet you do too
>>
>>53564332
Have you fucked yet?
>>
File: 1320679188775s.jpg (2 KB, 113x126) Image search: [Google]
1320679188775s.jpg
2 KB, 113x126
>>53564388
>Please hurt yourself.
>>
>>53564427
I had more sex at the age of 7 than you will ever have in your life
>>
>>53564453
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53565611
^:)
>>
just get one. Theyre like $30. Set up a gofundme or smth and write a story and it'll be funded in 3 minutes if you actually have money problems
>>
>>53564332
Pick up a used 2 series for $20
>>
Check this out OP. It's. Basically a raspi with a software package designed for kids.

https://youtu.be/CKzQKWNN4Ho
>>
>>53565512
getting raped by your uncle Joe doesn't count
>>
>>53564332
why not just install turtle or a game maker
>>
>>53564388
anon,

I learned to program at 11 because of taking other peoples code/functions for game mods and re-packaging it into my own repeatedly until I gained enough knowledge and my brain matured enough to be able to comprehend wtf I was even doing. years later I was able to write my own code with little-to-no reference, and now on that same old game I can write for hours without looking up anything other than function definitions because
>nointellisense

for her age, she's doing pretty well. if she actually ends up learning how to code by herself by starting out on shit like this, im all for it

yeah, I started out as basically a blantant copy-paster & modifier, but I learned when doing it. Thats what matters.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.