[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is iPhone really botnet compared to android? Why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 32
File: Steve-Jobs.jpg (28 KB, 580x436) Image search: [Google]
Steve-Jobs.jpg
28 KB, 580x436
I asked this on 8ch /tech/ but people sperged out at the idea of even having a conversation, so trying here:

I'm not convinced that iPhone is actually more botnet than android.

> 98.1% of al mobile malware targets Android accoding to Kaspersky [1] (yes, I know there's probably less malware on F-Droid, but this shows how poor Android's app sandboxing is)
> iPhones have encryption just like Android. Apple doesn't support backdoors as shown in the current case involving Apple and the FBI
> I get the feeling Apple apps are less botnet than GApps by default but can't prove this (any comments)?
I would like to see any compelling arguments to show that iPhone is more botnet than Android that isn't a meme argument. I don't think there are any.

[1] http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2014/Mobile-malware-evolution-3-infection-attempts-per-user-in-2013
>>
Apple makes money off overpriced hardware
Google makes money selling your data.
Apple > Google
>>
File: anti-gay-marriage-church.jpg (30 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
anti-gay-marriage-church.jpg
30 KB, 640x360
If you use apple products it literally means you support degenerates and homosexuals.
>>
>>53564237
Basically this

Apple bundles and subsidizes software to make it's overpriced hardware more appealing. Often selling viable alternatives at a price the competition can't even think about.

On the flip side, Google has only recently entered the hardware market. They make all their money off skimming your gmail and other google accounts and targeting ads at you.
>>
>>53564256
funny how the liberals protect privacy rights more than "anti-big govt republicans"
>>
>>53564256
this
>>
File: apple vs google revenue.jpg (60 KB, 620x872) Image search: [Google]
apple vs google revenue.jpg
60 KB, 620x872
>>53564065
When you buy an iPhone, Apple has made all the money they were ever going to make off you. They got their margin and from then on, it's their job to make you happy as a customer.

When you buy an Android phone, Google has made exactly ZERO from your purchase. From that point on, they have to make money off you somehow. So they spy on you and track everything you do so they can make money off you by first finding and then exploiting your psychological weaknesses.

And judging how much they're making off Android, they're doing a pretty good job at that.
>>
>>53564237
Apple doesn't sell your data so they don't bother securing it well off your device.
Your data is Google's livelihood so they protect your data at all costs.
>>
>>53564256
>>53564305
It's funny because Google not only employs WAY MORE gay people but Google's gay employees, the Gayglers, are radical and way more vocal about gay rights and have been pushing Google for close to decade to be a gay rights advocate.

Google has official gay t-shirts, official gay-apps, gay logos, gay phone cases etc etc.

>Celebrating Pride, Google Style: We embellished the Google signs at our Mountain View Headquarters and the New York City office with rainbow ā€œOā€™sā€.
http://googleblog.blog
spot.com/2014/06/celebrating-pride-google-style.html

>Google celebrates gay pride with rainbow colored logo, search results
http://chicago.gopride.com/news/article.cfm/articleid/58367956

>Google Sells Official Android Gay Pride T-Shirt
https://www.googlemerchandisestore.com/Google+Redesign/Brands/Android/Android+Pride+T-Shirt+-+Black.axd

>OFFICIAL ANDROID video has two gay men proposing to each other!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRmgMe2STL0

>Google releases official Android Gay Pride Parade app
http://www.androidcentral.com/google-adds-pride-parade-accessories-androidify-starts-andproud-campaign-celebrate

>Google pushes for gay rights with 'Legalize Love' campaign
http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/08/technology/google-legalize-love/
>>
File: google and you.jpg (54 KB, 634x499) Image search: [Google]
google and you.jpg
54 KB, 634x499
>>53564333
>Your data is Google's livelihood so they protect your data at all costs.
retard, they sell your data. who has contracts with NSA and CIA? Whose CEO/Chairman works with US State Department? Not apple.
>>
>>53564333
Actually apple also sells your data. The "apple cares about your privacy" meme started because of tim cocks unlockable iphone PR stunt.
>>
>>53564341
Meanwhile Apple's CEO is literally a homosexual.
>>
>>53564366
>Actually apple also sells your data.

Faggot, we'll need some proof for that.
>>
>>53564288
Keep telling yourself that bernout
>>
File: kv4PTiD.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
kv4PTiD.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>53564065
>>
>>53564382
>Meanwhile Apple's CEO is literally a homosexual.
And? He's not a flaming homo. Google's employees, and Android team in particular, are flaming faggots.

Is Apple airing faggot commercials like Google? Is Apple making official videos on Apple's YT site about gay rights? Nope. But google is.
>>
>>53564256
>The current year
>Not realizing that being gay is fine
It's ok, you can come out of the closet now. He won't judge you
>>
File: 44004378.jpg (128 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
44004378.jpg
128 KB, 500x333
>>53564366
>>
>>53564383
Do you have proof that they don't? Can you show me the source code of iOS?

Apple is a traitor of privacy because they helped push CISA and have been caught selling user info. Google it and find out for yourself or just keep holding onto your delusion that your apple product cares about your privacy.
>>
>>53564361
Apple is literally part of prism
>>
>>53564448
that's not how it works, retard. you can't prove a negative.

can you prove I don't have a giant dragon in my garage?

>Apple is a traitor of privacy because they helped push CISA
Nope. You're thinking of Facebook and Google.

>and have been caught selling user info.

AHHAAHAHAH... PROVE IT!

>Google it and find out for yourself or just keep holding onto your delusion that your apple product cares about your privacy.

They care more than those Google jews.
>>
>>53564448
>gets asked for proof
>google it yourself!
meanwhile selling user data is literally the cuckdroid business model.
>>
>>53564366
>>Actually apple also sells your data.

Nope, not even a little bit.
Apple doesn't even have the encryption keys to your iCloud, they need to reset the password to access it.

>>The "apple cares about your privacy" meme started because of tim cocks unlockable iphone PR stunt.

Full device encryption started with iOS 8, which was released 18 months ago. Cook has made several statements on privacy over the past few years about Apple's stance, mainly because companies like Google and Facebook take a lot of flak over their poor policies.

Do some research before you make unsubstantiated comments.

http://www.apple.com/privacy/
>>
>>53564478
>Apple is literally part of prism
you don't even know what that is. PRISM basically means that they give gov data on certain customers and that data is limited to email (if they use @me.com). They don't give out anything else since everything else is encrypted.
>>
>>53564448
> Do you have proof that they don't?

So you don't have proof that they do? Why would anyone need to refute a baseless argument. Unless you have evidence that they have sold data there's nothing to argue.
>>
Is there a phone operating system we can trust?

Is there any stable GNU+Linux OS for phones?
>>
File: 1454159345425.png (158 KB, 755x692) Image search: [Google]
1454159345425.png
158 KB, 755x692
>>53564495
You are one damn stupid son of a bitch aren't you?
A special kinds of retard
Weapons grade stupid
pants-on-head retarded
A Downie Derby special
A dumb fucking faggot
>>
>>53564478

So is Google. It just means they share any data you put on Cloud with the government. Anyone with a tech background knows not to use cloud because the data can be pulled by subpoena anyway. As >>53564500 said, Apple can't leak your encrypted data and this has been shown pretty clearly with the latest FBI news. This shows that they don't and can't backdoor into your data if it's encrypted.
>>
File: 1455754965688.png (236 KB, 966x390) Image search: [Google]
1455754965688.png
236 KB, 966x390
>>53564495
iOS is literally full of backdoors, they don't need your encryption key to get in your phone.
>>
>>53564495
>Apple doesn't even have the encryption keys to your iCloud
Yes they do.
iCloud is stored under their own encryption keys which is what allows you to sync it between devices.
Resetting your password would make no difference if the files were encrypted with your own keys.
>>
>>53564516
>bullshit image
hahaah... if that were true, FBI wouldn't be harassing & suing them right now.

if that were true, we'd have dozens of cases in courts CITING THE EVIDENCE retrived from iMessages.

But guess what, retard, there isn't a single case where someone was convicted or charged with a crime and imessage evidence was introduced because their phone was hacked by the gov.

Every fucking day, there are dozens of people being charged with evidence that came from Google or Facebook .

>>53564537
>iOS is literally full of backdoors, they don't need your encryption key to get in your phone.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... then gov doesn't need Apple to write a new OS for them!

Try harder at your bullshit, cocksucker.
>>
>>53564448
>Apple is a traitor of privacy because they helped push CISA

CISA is a cyber security law, it essentially sets in stone the rules that companies and the government have to abide by when sharing user data to law enforcement, with specific privacy provisions for non-relevant information.

Before this law, it was the wild west.

>and have been caught selling user info.

Source?

>Google it and find out for yourself or just keep holding onto your delusion that your apple product cares about your privacy.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Telling someone to google it just means you lost the argument.
>>
>>53564516

That is pretty fucked up (is there any way to opt out of iMessage)? but it's a different aspect of security compared to disk encryption, which protects the data on your phone at rest - not when it's going over the wire.
>>
>>53564500
Seems you're pretty knowledgeable. What about dropout jeep? The backdoor found on iPhones?
>>
File: die-cut-stickers.png (14 KB, 325x262) Image search: [Google]
die-cut-stickers.png
14 KB, 325x262
>>53564065
An iPhone basically sends everything it has to Apple servers every day.

It's called iCloud backup and it's enabled by default. You should have no expectation of privacy between you and Apple.
>>
>>53564554
>>53564588
You can just not sync iMessage with iCloud, which is why this is an "issue".
>>
File: 1458140501942204.png (53 KB, 775x176) Image search: [Google]
1458140501942204.png
53 KB, 775x176
>>53564537
>iOS is literally full of backdoors, they don't need your encryption key to get in your phone.

nigga, you full of shit. Craig Federighi is on record for saying that iOS has no backdoors and that Apple has never worked with any gov to insert backdoors.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/apples-software-chief-denies-government-iphone-backdoor

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2762118-Federighi-Decl-Executed.html#document/p1

Show me a declaration from someone at Google saying there's no backdoors in Android.
>>
File: 1456163917901.png (289 KB, 415x357) Image search: [Google]
1456163917901.png
289 KB, 415x357
>>53564288
nah, it's a bipartisan effort to take your privacy away

what's funny is the right should be pro privacy (want small government with its hands out of your personal life) but they're so anti-terrorist "muh homeland security" they're willing to data mine the shit out of you to stop it
>>
>>53564609
not only this, if you use imessage (and if you text another iphone it automatically will) ALL OF YOUR TEXTS ARE ROUTED THROUGH APPLE SERVERS
>>
>>53564588
If you're doing sketchy stuff you won't be using iphones or android devices. Drug dealers/hitmen use burner phones or some form of OTP encryption.

People always ignore this when talking about encryption on phones.

Also no, all messages sent through apple devices have been proven to contact apple servers/computers.
>>
File: 145814049145499.png (93 KB, 784x232) Image search: [Google]
145814049145499.png
93 KB, 784x232
>>53564598
>What about dropout jeep? The backdoor found on iPhones?
That was not a backdoor but an exploit that NSA found. And Apple probably closed it long time ago because AV companies are saying they haven't seen an iPhone remote exploit in the wild for YEARS.

Apple's new kernel and Secure Enclave chip have eliminated most of the attack vectors. It's really fucking hard to exploit an iphone now.

There isn't a single forensics company that sells a product that can extract data from a locked phone. Not a single one! That says a lot.
>>
>>53564644
reminder all your regular texts are routed through and stored on phone company servers
>>
>>53564516

Pretty misleading headline.
Apple cannot read your end-to-end encrypted iMessages.

They can, after court order, restore an iCloud backup and recover message history for evidence in a criminal investigation.
>>
>>53564687
>They can, after court order, restore an iCloud backup and recover message history for evidence in a criminal investigation.
That's not true. They can restore your backup but you still need a PIN number to access the messages.

Apple can't decrypt your messages without a pin. iMessage is encrypted with your device's internal key and also with your PIN.

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf
>>
>>53564588
>>53564622

iMessage doesn't "sync" with iCloud, but message data is backed up with everything else as part of your iCloud backup.

Don't want your messages to be recoverable?
Backup to iTunes with encryption turned on, which is actually the default now.
>>
>>53564687
>They can, after court order, restore an iCloud backup and recover message history for evidence in a criminal investigation.
They can also do it without a court order, they don't have to tell anybody.
>>
>>53564716
>Apple can't decrypt your messages without a pin. iMessage is encrypted with your device's internal key and also with your PIN.
That's what the backdoors are for you cuck
>>
>>53564716

When you restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup, you set a new passcode.

The only PIN saved as part of a backup is the Restrictions Passcode.
>>
>>53564771
You still need a passcode to decrypt them.
>>
File: condescending_wonka_3_400x400.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
condescending_wonka_3_400x400.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
>>53564743
>They can also do it without a court order, they don't have to tell anybody.

Oh yeah?
Tell me another fairytale, anon!
>>
>>53564333
>so they don't bother securing it well off your device.
Except iCloud data stored on Apple's servers is fully encrypted.

I own an Android phone and I don't plan on switching but if you're really that worried about security or botnets, it's hard to argue that Android is superior to iOS. iOS uses 256-bit AES by default, performs better with full disk encryption due to using superior NAND, and generally seems to have fewer security issues whether it's due to iOS being superior or the mere fact that 95% of Android phones barely get updated after launch.
>>
>>53564816

And you create that passcode when you restore your backup.
>>
>>53564759
>backdoors
Yet Apple's VP is on record, under the threat of perjury, that Apple has never inserted a backdoor.

Where can I see this magical backdoor of yours, google's bitch?
>>
>>53564818
How much is apple paying you?
>>
>>53564833
>And you create that passcode when you restore your backup.
That's not how it works. You need old one too.
>>
>>53564818
What? A court order isn't an encryption key, it's an order telling Apple to do something they can already do.
>>
>>53564841

We don't discuss salaries at Apple.
>>
>>53564366
gonna need a source on this one chief
>>
>>53564847

Your passcode is for on-device security.
Your AppleID password is for iCloud security.

Your iCloud backup isn't double encrypted, simply restoring it with your AppleID password decrypts the data.
After the restore, the first thing you're prompted to do it set a new Passcode, which then protects your on-device data.
>>
Now that I think about it, I never even see people calling Apple stuff a botnet on here.

They're without a doubt the best company when it comes to customer privacy, as evidenced by this whole FBI case.

Note that all other companies also give their data over to the FBI just like Apple does iCloud data, but I can't see many other companies taking a stand on encryption like Apple is doing.
>>
>>53564403
ya Google is way more flamingly gay

they're the SF fags big time

Tim Cook is a business guy first and not a sjw at all unlike Google who employs hundreds of them lol
>>
File: baka 1362901143430.jpg (24 KB, 305x315) Image search: [Google]
baka 1362901143430.jpg
24 KB, 305x315
>>53564849
>What? A court order isn't an encryption key, it's an order telling Apple to do something they can already do.
Baka, if that were true, FBI wouldn't be asking from Apple to make a custom iOS that doesn't delete data after someone tries 100's of passcodes in order to break it.

If you fucking hate Apple so much and you have to shitpost about it, at least learn how it works so you're not exposed as a fucking moron every time you post.
>>
>>53564890
I remember my first day on /g/
>>
>>53564495
Apple is based, don't bother arguing with poors
>>
>>53564909
Most people can remember things from a few days ago.
>>
I can't wait until the iPhone 7 is announced and all recovery functionality has been eliminated for the purposes of protecting encryption.
>>
File: 1457570683391.png (475 KB, 848x619) Image search: [Google]
1457570683391.png
475 KB, 848x619
If you're privacy minded and don't have the money to afford an Apple product you can still buy some cheap chinkphone and grab a custom rom from XDA made by some pooinloo hopefully without the bloat and chink spy software
It's okay anon you don't have to be so bitter
>>
>>53564609
lol what's it like being a jealous moron?

ever since iPhones stopped being subsided for $200 all the poorfag are fucking sour grapes as fuck, so funny.
>>
So basically, nobody can peek inside my iPhone/iCloud, not even Apple and its my own personal device in every sense?
>>
>>53564609
> You can disable it
> B-B-BOTNET!
Most Android phones also have a proprietary cloud backup system
>>
>>53564403
Apple is neither pro or contra anything. Their philosophy is to be above current societal trivialities, that's why they're being called out for that neutrality and even being offensive at times.
They want to represent owners first and foremost. Racists, black people, gays, flaming homos and professionals.
>>
>>53564957
Yes. Except for email and SMS, Apple can't see shit. Voice calls can be intercepted by your phone company, of course, so don't use plain old phone numbers for security related shit.

If you pick a 6+ alphanumeric passcode and don't turn off encryption, you're as safe as you can be by owning a phone.
>>
>>53564957
fbi can't chip off the thing whereas every single android phone can be chipped off easy peasy and you're screwed.

this isn't even taking into consideration the vast majority of android phones are infected by the Chinese
>>
>>53564992
That's true. Apple is not trying to impose their morality on anyone.
>>
>>53565018
Android doesn't even have encryption turned on by default and most android phones don't even have an iPhone's Secure Enclave equivalent.

Then there's shit like this...

>"Google can reset the passcodes when served with a search warrant and an order instructing them to assist law enforcement to extract data from the device. This process can be done by Google remotely and allows forensic examiners to view the contents of a device."
MANHATTAN DISTRICT ATTORNEYā€™S OFFICE

http://manhattanda.org/sites/default/files/11.18.15%20Report%20on%20Smartphone%20Encryption%20and%20Public%20Safety.pdf

>Android adware can install itself even when users explicitly reject it
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/android-adware-can-install-itself-even-when-users-explicitly-reject-it/
>>
people with S7's in the mail haven't even gotten them and they're already salty jeez

sorry guys Google hates you
>>
File: 1458178283040.png (196 KB, 1211x1259) Image search: [Google]
1458178283040.png
196 KB, 1211x1259
Remind me again guys how many times has Google gone to court to protect their users' privacy?
>>
Google is basically an extension of the US military at this point anyway

It's like if Halliburton offered free email and web search services that people liked.

Thinking Eric Schmidt isn't bending you over is retarded
>>
>>53565007
>>53565018
>>53565019
This company philosophy applied in the real world gives me hope for humanity, quite literally.
Where technology can be the actual tool like a fucking handaxe or electricity without being subjected to government's or ANYONE'S control but your own as its owner. It is right, it is timeless and it is American.
>>
>>53564065
the only way i know you can get malware is if you download and install a rogue .apk file. which you would have to, #1 enable the ability to do so in your settings. #2 ignore all the warning pop ups that you are downloading and installing an .apk file.

aside from the tech illiterate, seems like a non-issue.
>>
File: 1445741554504.png (932 KB, 920x696) Image search: [Google]
1445741554504.png
932 KB, 920x696
>>53564907
>I've never read the news but I'll call someone else a moron
Apple already turned over the full iCloud backup made on October 18, which was six weeks before the investigation. The local police were idiots and reset the Apple ID password on the iPhone, which locked it from sending all its shit to Apple. If they hadn't done that, the FBI would not need a court order.

The purpose of the court order was to recover everything that happened in the six weeks after the most recent backup that Apple turned over to the FBI.

So yes, Apple is able to restore your iCloud backups when you're dead. But be glad that they can't access your phone if your ghost changes your password.
>>
>>53565091
Yes the "local police" fumbled and created this "unfortunate situation" wherein the FBI is asking for a way to access information on every iPhone
>>
>>53565107
Yeah? They were the only ones with physical access to the phone. Are you insinuating that Apple employees broke into a police station and reset the phone?
>>
File: google chrome listening botnet.jpg (98 KB, 948x888) Image search: [Google]
google chrome listening botnet.jpg
98 KB, 948x888
>>53565063
>>53565066
Google doesn't give a fuck about user's privacy.

Privacy = LESS AD REVENUE!

You can't data-mine and serve ads to shit that you can't see. That's what it comes down to really.

Google's an advertising company. If they can't see what you're doing, they can't serve you targeted ads.

Assange thinks Google's actually a branch of government at this point:

https://wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/

http://www.newsweek.com/assange-google-not-what-it-seems-279447
>>
>>53565128
The FBI did it on purpose you goof
>>
>>53565128

Pretty sure he's just suggesting that the FBI intentionally did this so they can set a precedent of being allowed access to any iPhone in future cases.
>>
I dont see why anyone besides pedos and criminals is concerned about all this encryption bs

Dont all we need to worry about is enough encryption and passcode to block identity theft when your phone is lost or stolen?
>>
>>53564907
>FBI wouldn't be asking from Apple to make a custom iOS
Only because a backdoor is faster and can be executed remotely.
>delete data after someone tries 100's of passcodes
All you need to do is copy the disk somewhere and you can bruteforce as much as you want.
>>
>>53565091
>if your ghost changes your password.
You don't have a clue.

That Bernardino case involved an iPhone 5 which was also under an ENTERPRISE policy so it was set up so the employer can see its data and disable it and request password change.

Your regular iPhone is COMPLETELY ENCRYPTED.

Fucking baka. At least read the court papers or stories about them that are not written by morons.
>>
File: 1434089588557.jpg (41 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1434089588557.jpg
41 KB, 480x480
>>53565150
>Only because a backdoor is faster and can be executed remotely.
>All you need to do is copy the disk somewhere and you can bruteforce as much as you want.

you're a fucking idiot. go learn about SECURE ENCLAVE.

You can't bruteforce it without deleting data. You can't copy the data because of Secure Enclave. iPhone is not android.

You're a fucking idiot. Post less please.
>>
>>53565150
>All you need to do is copy the disk somewhere and you can bruteforce as much as you want.
Yes and given iOS uses 256-bit AES that would take massive amounts of computing power and potentially hundreds or even thousands of years.
>>
>>53565196
>implying they don't already have access to computing technology we could only dream of
It has happened in the past with other things.
>>
>>53564309
>make you happy as a customer

Are you retarded? What this chart means is once you buy the phone, the ONLY thing Apple is going to do is try to get you to throw it out and buy another one. If they "made you happy" after you bought it, you'd have no reason to buy their new fancy one. Instead they fucking send updates to brick your phone if you got it repaired by a third party and put sensors in the phone that break if the phone is exposed to any temperature slightly over or under their allowances and then refuse your warranty claim.
>>
>>53565241

Not with iOS encryption. It's exceptionally strong encryption that is not brute-forceable.

This is why the FBI wants to brute force the passcode.
A 3-bit passcode is a fuckton easier to brute force than a 256-bit AES key.
>>
>>53565196
>potentially hundreds or even thousands of years.

Actually...

>The universe itself only existed for 14 billion (1.4e10) years. It would take ~6.7e40 times longer than the age of the universe to exhaust half of the keyspace of a AES-256 key.
>>
>>53565194
>You can't copy the data
If they have physical access to your device they can absolutely do whatever the fuck they want.
>>
Ios or Android, your data ends up with the NSA either way so who cares
>>
>>53565302
Except decrypt it apparently or the FBI wouldn't be balls deep suing apple
>>
>>53565287
>Are you retarded? What this chart means is once you buy the phone, the ONLY thing Apple is going to do is try to get you to throw it out and buy another one.
No, I'm not retarded, but you clearly are.

Android gets no updates. Of any kind.

Apple, on the other hand, updates all the time.

>iPhone 4s
>released nearly four years ago
>still supported and getting the latest updates
>still getting the latest security fixes

>meanwhile, Android devices are getting discontinued not even a year after release date [1]
>87.6% of currently used Android devices are running outdated versions of Android (4.x and older), missing out on crucial security fixes in Lollipop [2]
>nearly half of users are running a version of Android more than two years old (4.3.x and older) [2]

Why can Apple keep their phones up to date for so long but Android developers can't?

[1]: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsungs-only-Android-Wear-smartwatch-disappears-from-Google-Play_id69294
[2]: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html?utm_source=suzunone#Platform
>>
>>53565241
>It has happened in the past with other things.
Yes, if the NSA has quantum computers capable of trillions of times more computing power than we have on the most modern CPUs and GPUs, yes brute forcing 256-bit AES could be possible.

The Tianhe-2 Supercomputer is the world's fastest supercomputer and it would take 5.4183479e52 years to guess exhaust every possible combination for a 256-bit key.

It's much more likely that the NSA has weakened AES and created backdoors in the random number generators used by iOS and OSX. If they have, this is something they wouldn't want to be public knowledge however which is why the FBI would go through this dog and pony show instead.
>>
>>53565287
>they fucking send updates to brick your phone if you got it repaired by a third party

It was an unintended bug in the iTunes restore process, which was fixed within a week of Apple knowing about it.

>and put sensors in the phone that break if the phone is exposed to any temperature slightly over or under their allowances and then refuse your warranty claim.

Lol wat?
The iPhone has temperature sensors that can shut the phone down if it gets too hot, so it basically doesn't cook itself. Apple can see from diagnostic data if there have been thermal shutdown events, and will usually replace the device under warranty if they've been happening to your phone.
>>
>>53565294
Yes but each year computers get faster, those calculations are based on the speed of hardware currently available.
>>
>>53565289
I'm talking about the network of super quantum computers powered by fusion reactors under every major city in the US.
>>
>>53565315
Local law enforcement fucked up not the FBI.
>>
>>53565302
>If they have physical access to your device they can absolutely do whatever the fuck they want.
Okay, FBI has the device so why can't they do shit with it?

Wanna know why? Because your password is stored in the part of the CPU called SECURE ENCLAVE and you can't extract it.

Even if you decapped the chip, you'd have really hard time extracting the key.

Seriously, STFU about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>53564366
>there are actually people in /g/ who believe in the Reddit Apple sucks meme
>>
>>53565318
>Why can Apple keep their phones up to date for so long but Android developers can't?
Because the Android's deal with the devil to gain marketshare gave handset manufacturers too much control.

With Android 7.0 Google should just take Android updates over entirely for all devices like Windows phone.
>>
File: 1434234232432.jpg (11 KB, 350x225) Image search: [Google]
1434234232432.jpg
11 KB, 350x225
>>53565341
>Yes but each year computers get faster, those calculations are based on the speed of hardware currently available.

Kids. look here... look at how fucking stupid most of the posters here are. They're so fucking stupid, they don't even understand exponential growth.

Instead of shitposting, why don't you pick up a book on HS math and start learning the basics?
>>
>>53565366
Excuses excuses.

Why should a consumer give a fuck about any of that? All they know is that they get zero updates for their phones. Even security updates are not being pushed and the number of vulnerable android handsets in use right now is in the fucking 100's of million.
>>
>>53565341

There would have to be a major breakthrough is quantum computing for anything dramatic to change.

We're talking about billions of years to go through every AES key, even if you double the computing capacity to do it, it's still billions of years.
>>
>>53565318
>Why can Apple keep their phones up to date for so long but Android developers can't?
Apple is one huge company with a few products while "Android" is several hundred (and much smaller) with thousands of products. You also can't expect Google to do all the work since it is impossible to recreate all those proprietary drivers to work with newer versions of Linux, APIs and the like.
>>
>>53565359

The iPhone 5C doesn't have a secure enclave, this is why they're pushing for a modified version of iOS.

If it were an iPhone 6 or newer, there wouldn't even be a discussion, the FBI would be fucked.
>>
>>53565420
What about Android OEMs? Aren't they in the business of keeping their customers happy? Why don't they give a fuck about them?
>>
I've never seen android users on full-on damage support ever. My next phone is going to be an iPhone
>>
>>53565376
We're only years away from quantum computers, stop being a faggot. It's impossible to predict what will be possible in hundreds or thousands of years given how fast computing has moved thus far.

Computers today are more than 250,000x more powerful than what we had in 1980.
>>
File: 1435116357449.jpg (23 KB, 464x356) Image search: [Google]
1435116357449.jpg
23 KB, 464x356
>>53565461
>We're only years away from quantum computers

You really are fucking retarded. I'm done arguing with you.

As an advice from an anon with some education, go back to school. Seriously.
>>
>>53565395
>Why should a consumer give a fuck about any of that?
They shouldn't and they don't, which is why Android is seen as shitty and why the iPhone is the most popular smart phone on the market.

I'm just explaining why it happens. Android would never have become popular if Samshit and others weren't free to bastardize it.
>>
>>53565479
http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2449757/mit-scientists-build-worlds-first-scalable-quantum-computer
>>
>>53565332
>If they have, this is something they wouldn't want to be public knowledge however which is why the FBI would go through this dog and pony show instead.

They don't want their adversaries (you, EU, China and Russia) to know their capabilities. Exactly why we should believe they have that kind of hardware. This is exactly what they do with drone and satellite imagery.

>your password

You don't need to know any password to bruteforce or copy data from the disk you idiot. The device doesn't even need to be powered or even intact.
>>
ALL SMARTPHONES ARE BOTNET.

If you can't understand this simple fucking idea, you're beyond retarded.

You are being watched, cataloged, tracked, and part of the collective. You cannot escape this. Doesn't matter what country you are in, you are known and in a huge database detailing what you do and when.

Home computers can mitigate this because you are at home and they already know where you live, and there are ways to block browser tracking and other privacy concerns.

Smartphones? You're fucked.

Stop using them. They are garbage.
>>
>>53565489
Android support is so poor because the margins on Android phones are so low and OEMs just don't give a fuck after they've sold some sucker one of them. It's basic economics.

>>53565501
Can you even read past a fucking headline? Do you even know what a qubit is or what 5 qubits means? Do you know what's so hard about making qubits stable? Do you even understand the complexity involved from going from 5 to 10 qubits? Do you even know how many qubits are needed to break AES?

Dude, just go take some fucking courses.
>>
>>53565443
Nobody gives a fuck about the security of old devices. Consumertards are more than happy to buy a new shiny toy every six months.
>>
>>53565544
>public science is the only science
Would you have said the same with stealth bombers and nukes?
>>
>>53565516
>Exactly why we should believe they have that kind of hardware
It's probably not hardware but a fundamental (intentional) design flaw of the random number generators used in most encryption schemes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_EC_DRBG
>>
>>53565583
>invokes magic
Whelp, it didn't take you that long. Area 51 is next I presume? Alien technology?

Yep. K-den.

PS: What you don't understand is that Snowden leaked a document in which NSA said they were funding research for quantum computers and the budget was fucking tiny.
>>
>>53565601
>historical fact is magic
Okay, that's how I know you lost the argument. I guess that means you won't be receiving your slave wage for some time.
>>
>>53565652
>X is true because unrelated Y is true
By that retarded logic, anything's possible. Do you even understand induction? Can you figure out where your brain went wrong?
>>
>>53565420
Yet Microsoft does it just fine by strangleholding OEMs. My Dell laptop from 2009 can still run Windows 10 with all the drivers working and is still receiving all the updates.
>>
>>53565691
why are you such a fag, fag?
>>
>>53565691
>unrelated
That's where you are wrong. How exactly are technologies (science fiction back then) that were hidden from the public irrelevant to quantum computers (a reality right now)?
>>
>>53565745
Modern PCs are mostly standardized. Your Dell shares a great deal of hardware with an HP. This just doesn't happen with phones because there is still competition between hardware vendors.
>>
>>53565318
exactly the reason I went back to an iphone right here familam

wasn't going to void my warranty/accidental damage replacement for a custom rom
>>
>>53565536
"You must be at least this young to ride on /g/"
Seriously, go visit Switzerland some time, and tell us all about how the Illuminati "tracked" your every move even there.
>>
>>53564237
my personal data weights much more opposite the fact that someone thinks he knows what's best for me.

so apple won.

type from a google free tablet

have a nice weekend!
>>
>>53564065
If you say
>botnet
do you mean which OS spies more on it's user?
>>
ITT: Android fags BTFO and buttmad, grasping for straws

In other news: the sky is blue, the Pope is Catholic.
>>
Android is available in 100% FOSS variants, void of even google apps

You are free to audit that software or pay a professional to do so

You may install software that acts as a security measure even if google has not "blessed" it with a cryptographic key (this is where retard normie "viruses" come in to play. nothing stops idiots from installing notavirus.apk)

You can install your own damn kernel without waiting for someone to put together a whole new "ROM" (read only memory? uh, dude, it's not even eeprom, it's like, fucking nand)

So, android, can, in fact, be, comma, less, comma, of a fucking botnet. But normally isn't in the hands of ricer samsung tards that install whatever as long as it makes their "homescreen" look cooler than iOS. Those are like those flash-using linux users cruising around in bloated web browsers claiming that nothing will even touch their user files, let alone root's shit.
>>
>>53567231
Dude he's right about smartphones. Even running FOSS it's literally tracking everything you do.
Everywhere you go it knows through GPS, it knows when you were at places, who was there with you, who you stopped for a brief second to look at and then never see again. It knows what you say, what you want and what you think, because you enter all of this into the keypad on amazon and google, linked to your gmail and amazon accounts.
Or apple accounts, whatever.
You can ironically trust apple more with your data because apple sells phones. Google sells its user's data.
>>
File: android is trash wolfram.png (36 KB, 2452x1262) Image search: [Google]
android is trash wolfram.png
36 KB, 2452x1262
>>53567376
Don't buy the "Android is open source" whitewashing. They just do code drops of some parts as open source where it suits them, but keep large parts as closed source when profitable/convenient. And the open source parts aren't useful on their own, because the proprietary parts are essential parts of the system's value. And then of course come the services and the platform's tight coupling to them. The services are even more closed - unnecessarily.
Real open source systems have outside contributors and stakeholders, and developer communities. Android mostly just has app developers and a "hacking" scene (xda etc).

Yes there's a small band of Quixotic guys (Replicant etc) trying to make an open source fork limp along but it's comparable in size (and odds of success) to Amiga users/developers. It's an unusable tech experiment that only runs on a couple of antiquated phones and has no services, not the Android that people know.

The only openness-related reason to prefer Android over iOS is that the app store policies are slightly less draconian than Apple's.

Android is for Google, by Google. The source is put someplace public each release, but development is completely behind closed doors. There is little transparency at all, on roadmaps, status of what is being worked on, status of existing bugs, etc.

If you aren't going to be part of the virtuous cycle of the Android ecosystem / OHA in general and license GMS, it makes less sense to use it as a base for something as grand.

I think this is the way Google designed it.

tl;dr: Android is not open. It's just a meme for retarded nerds.
>>
>>53567412
Also with voice recognition it knows everything you said, too.
It really amazes me how no-one, even on /g/, is spooked by non-local voice recognition.
When you use 'ok google' or 'siri', what you said is uploaded to google (or apple) servers, and then the text of that is sent back to your phone for use in the application that is running.
A text copy of everything you've ever said can be kept (and is kept) on servers, fully parsed, searched, and kept in efficient databases linked to you.
TEXT.
TEXT OF EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER SAID, KEPT FOREVER.

That's like what, 50MB per person for an entire lifetime of speaking? Fully searchable?

The NSA is running speech to text on every single phone call and keeping all that information forever.

Fuck you if you don't think speech to text is fucking spooky.
>>
>>53567451
And in a couple decades, microphones will be standard almost everywhere. Smartphones already made this a reality today, but I'm talking about CCTV cameras with microphones, exploiting directional audio capture to listen into conversations.
And they know who is speaking through what's in their pocket. Or what their voice sounds like.

If you ever want to think freely, don't say it out loud. They're listening.

Now that sounds tinfoil hat but really the tinfoilers would have called this shit nonsense a while back. This is just technology now.
"Yeah we're being listened to, this is the 21st century grandpa, nothing to hide nothing to fear"
>>
>>53567376
The drivers aren't foss. As much as I like android, saying that it's 100% foss is a lie.
Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.