[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Gentoo even worth installing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: 1458240215372.png (255 KB, 532x695) Image search: [Google]
1458240215372.png
255 KB, 532x695
Is Gentoo even worth installing?
>>
Kinda. If you enjoy installing Firefox for 6 fucking hours
>>
>>53562043
If you need to ask that then no, Gentoo isn't for you
>>
>>53562043
Just stick w/ a good distro, like debian on a good DE like KDE
>>
>>53562072
Kek. Really?
>>
>>53562043
memes aside... yes
with gentoo you can tweak the system to exactly match your needs, also will help you learn a lot about your system which in the long run where you need a job, your knowledge acquired will be beneficial if its linux oriented...

so install linux senpai
and dont forget to rice that motherfucka! :^)
>>
>>53562115
That's what compiling from source is like anon
>>
>>53562115
more like 30 min
>>
>>53562137
Lol I did that with gcc. That shit took a fucking day
>>
>>53562043
The only use case for Gentoo is if you want all your code built from scratch, but you are too lazy to do LFS.

It sounds like a really good idea for all of your binaries to be built exactly for the capabilities of your CPU, but in reality it doesn't make much difference. Maybe you can find a benchmark that shows a big difference, but benchmarks aren't good representatives of the workloads of normal applications.
>>
>>53562138
oh boy 30 minutes! Imagine all the chinese cartoons I can watch in those saved 5 and a half hours.
>>
>>53562115
In Gentoo, all packages are source packages and installing them automatically compiles them.

Not too bad for command line packages, but large GUI applications like LibreOffice or Firefox can really drag.
>>
No
You'll become depressed and addicted to drugs like pic related

GENTOO NOT EVEN ONCE
>>
>>53562072
You know there are binary packages for software like firefox
>>
>>53562223
Then what's the point of using Gentoo if you're gonna install fucking precompiled binary packages?
>>
File: MAXIMUM HACKING.webm (586 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
MAXIMUM HACKING.webm
586 KB, 1280x1024
Yes
>>
>>53562255
>systemd
Top cuck, uninstall Gentoo
>>
>>53562115
$ genlop -t chromium
* www-client/chromium

Tue Mar 8 13:59:19 2016 >>> www-client/chromium-49.0.2623.75
merge time: 1 hour, 41 minutes and 52 seconds.

Fri Mar 11 04:02:24 2016 >>> www-client/chromium-49.0.2623.87-r1
merge time: 2 hours, 11 minutes and 43 seconds.
>>
>>53562272
What's wrong with systemd?
>>
>>53562146
Compiling GCC sucks because it basically compiles 3 times IIRC.

1st build uses the system C compiler to compile a simple, but standards conforming C compiler written in strict ANSI C. This compiler lacks advanced features like complex optimizations, but it will work on all systems and produces valid code.

2nd build uses the simple C compiler to build the full GCC from source. This produces a full version of GCC, with all its advanced features, but the binary itself may not be very optimized.

3rd build uses the new GCC compiler to compile itself. This produces a new version of the binary with full optimization and all that goodness.
>>
>>53562115
Yes but you can also install firefox-bin
>>
>>53562274
oh god, is there any benefit? why do something for two hours if you still can do the same for two minutes?
>>
>>53562322
Then just install fucking Debian.
>>
>>53562329
The code might be slightly more optimized for your CPU. Honestly that doesn't make much difference.
>>
>>53562115
Tested last year. Took about 20 minutes on my i5 4690. ~2 hours on my C2D E7600.
>>
>>53562277
People will give you different reasons, but mine is that it's a buggy piece of bloated crap that's horrible to troubleshoot and the general attitude of its devs pretty much insures that it has zero prospect of getting properly fixed. So it's kind of like KDE in that respect.
>>
>>53562360
well i assume this would help if i needed a system that is running 100s of software for i dont know what reason/task... then that slight difference would make a difference i guess
>>
>>53562308
4th build uses the newer GCC compiler to compile itself. This produces a newest version of the binary with fuller optimizations and all that goodness.
>>
>>53562274
Why is a chromium build so long? Why does a browser need so much code?
>>
>>53562465
Rendering engine, javascript engine, plug in systems, all the complexities of HTML and CSS, sandboxing, networking code, etc....
>>
>>53562438
Possibly, but most desktop applications aren't CPU bound. They spend most of their time idle and waiting for input from the user. Slightly more optimized code in some areas really doesn't make that much difference for them.

Maybe you can get some benefit if you are running computationally complex code like a physic simulation, but I image that it would only be by a few percent compared a generic binary.
>>
>>53562611
so its official?
there is almost absolutely no need of Gentoo?
seems its a distro for only educational reasons
>>
>>53562043
Download a vdi to run it in VirtualBox, have a ball and then drop it.
>>
>>53562705
It's solid for servers I suppose
>>
>not running hardened gentoo on a libreboot chinkpad
>>
>>53562882
>not programming your own OS on your custom soldered hardware
>>
>>53562906
this post gives good argument desu
love to hear what other think about this
>>
>>53562043
Only if you get high while wearing drag clothes
>>
>>53562043
It's a brilliant learning experience. I remember first getting to know GNU/Linux sometime in the late 90s with SUSE 5.x, and didn't retain a lot - didn't fully get to grips with it either due to dependency hell and rpms. Working through the Gentoo installation manual at least shows you how the various concepts in a modern GNU/Linux system tie and work together. I'd highly recommend it to those wanting to get familiar with this kind of systems.

Whether it's a good/best choice for a stable desktop or server solution - no idea. It might offer quite a few benefits for a very niche set of custom-hardware systems?
>>
>>53562329
ofcourse there is. it is literary the only way to customize chromium
>>
>>53562043
Yes
>>
>>53562882
I'm running regular gentoo now, what are the benefits of hardened gentoo?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.