[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so few laptops have the PCIe SSDs? the hardware has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 91pS9mM8AZL._SL1500_.jpg (224 KB, 1500x1475) Image search: [Google]
91pS9mM8AZL._SL1500_.jpg
224 KB, 1500x1475
Why do so few laptops have the PCIe SSDs?

the hardware has been available for over a year and you can even buy the samsung apple version on newegg.

they are 3x as fast as SATA, why is there so little interest?

would this laptop not be far and away faster than anything else in it's price range (as far as boot and loading and file transfer times?)

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-15-6-Inch-Quantum-Dot-Touchscreen-i7-4712HQ/dp/B00NV9M6HC
>>
Waste of battery.
>>
>>53555035
SATA ssds are already faster than most users can take advantage of. When I upgraded from a sata3 ssd to a pci-e one my boot time went from 15 seconds to 10. It's not as groundbreaking as the switch from magnetic hard drives was.
>>
>>53555070

Valid point.

however I have 2 SSDs in RAID 0 on one my machines and there are times and programs that take some time to load

may I ask how you upgraded from sata to pci-e or do you mean you bought a new machine, i would like to upgrade if I could
>>
>>53555065

I basically only carry my laptop from one desk to another, i never use the battery; I know a lot of people like me who only need the battery so they don't have to reboot every time they unplug from the wall...
>>
>>53555098
This was in a desktop. I just bought an sm951 and an m.2 to pci-e adapter.
>>
>>53555122

ah ok I see

would you say for you (as a computer enthusiast) it was worth it or do you wish you had not done it? thanks
>>
>>53555151
It was worth it for me because I work with huge amounts of tiny files and having the extra IO speeds things up. For general PC use it's not worth it, only for extremely disk intensive tasks.
>>
>>53555170

would it not load large video games and the levels between them approximately 4x faster than a single sata ssd?
>>
>>53555184
No because a lot of that is sequential data and the disk isn't necessarily the bottleneck. Benchmarks don't always equate to a real world difference.
>>
>>53555170

I run virtual machines on my laptop with oracle virtualbox, would it not help a lot with moving them around and having them do tasks at the same time?
>>
>>53555209

I have always been told that SATA currently is the bottle neck and that's why they only run gaming video cards on the pci bus
>>
>>53555211
It probably wood. Operating systems do a lot of random I/O. It won't be a huge boost coming from an ssd, but if you're running several at once it might be noticeable.

>>53555226
>2016
>not having a sata video card
>>
>>53555035
Skylake is the only chipset that realistically has enough pcie lanes to handle x4 m.2 drives. That being said, not sure if the power draw and heat those things have would be a good idea in a laptop.
>>
>>53555287

in benchmark tests it blows away SATA limitations
>>
>>53555035
The hardware has not really been available for that long. Sm941 was, but only for one OEM.
>>
>>53555423
What's your point? That type of workload in a laptop is not the norm.
>>
>>53555439

the asus in op's link is over a year old

what i cant figure out is why more laptop makers are not at least adding an open PCI port as a selling point to us nerds

shit sucks yo, I want one but i don't want a macbook
>>
>>53555455

well given that the norm is "checking facebook and looking at cat photos" I agree with you

can you not agree that computer enthusiasts looking for laptops with discrete videocards and the fastest possible drives may be doing abnormal things and feel limited by the SATA bus

hell i went out of my way to buy a laptop that had two SSD drive ports so I could run them in RAID 0

and yes that made a difference, to me, for what I do

should the average faggot bother with the danger of data loss and complexity of doing that?

no
>>
>>53555476
The thermal throttling during sustained load is well documented and less than ideal inside a laptop. They still have issues using those as a boot drive. 2 drives are on the market: sm941, and the 950.
>>
File: superraid4.png (292 KB, 628x541) Image search: [Google]
superraid4.png
292 KB, 628x541
>>53555035
Because the only uses for it on a laptop would be pic related, which the vast majority of laptops will never be designed for nor be able to utilize fully.

A normal SSD already loads facebook and 99.999% of work related tasks instantly.
>>
>>53555476
>what i cant figure out is why more laptop makers are not at least adding an open PCI port as a selling point to us nerds
literally 2 seconds in google

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list.html
>>
>>53555602
>less than ideal inside a laptop.

everything is less than ideal in a laptop

a laptop is a compromise, but for those of us who need to get shit done on the go we do the best we can

i cant exactly run virtual machines to test our software on my cell phone when I can't be at my desk with my tower and dual monitors

so i make do, i am not trying to say this slim laptop is better than a proper tower workstation
>>
>>53555607
>A normal SSD already loads facebook

>implying this is how a computer works
>implying facebook does not live in RAM (locally) and would load faster or slower depending on the hard drive

you are thinking of internet connection speed which is not exactly a bottleneck on your computer

>implying you have any idea what you are talking about

what these are for is speeding boot time and moving large files around on your drive, such as photos and video, which is also why OP's laptop has some kind of retard resolution i have never heard of before
>>
>>53555533
Again: z97 was limited in pcie slots vs z170. USB 3.1/thunderbolt is nice and ad we speak, they are developing external GPU solutions. Even if there was a pcie slit, no external gpu exist as far as I know, yet. Yes, I agree performance is great, but it does have its drawbacks.
>>
>>53555662
>>what i cant figure out is why more laptop makers are not at least adding an open PCI port as a selling point to us nerds
>literally 2 seconds in google

and after reading that myself i still think there should be more PCIe compatibility, all you did was confirm there is very little out there, which i already knew
>>
>>53555766

I don't want to put a GPU in it, I want to hook my hard drive to it so I can move shit around and access information on my primary hard drive at 2000 vs 600

oh and they have been promising us external vidocard hookups almost as long as flying cars

at least pcie ssd literally exists in some laptops today

for me today is good, i have work to do today "someday" often never comes when these kinds of plans are made
>>
>>53555869
USB-C
S
B
-
C
>>
Since we're talking about ssds and laptops, can someone tell me if I'll need anything besides the actual ssd if I want to replace the hdd in my Lenovo laptop?
>>
>>53555895

this is an honest question, today is there a way for me to hook a drive to my computer using USB-C that will be 4x as fast as the SATA bus?

if so i will go buy the hardware, if not I need something now not someday
>>
>>53555926

be careful doing that, in some older laptops the drivers do not support trim and will treat the SSD like a spinning drive and (from what i understand) write and read to the same spot over and over again and wear it out

just make sure you check if your specific model has given people this issue
>>
>>53555962
http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Ports-10Gbps-Express-Card/dp/B015JYYZNY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51VscTUCVHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0PZTKFFVZW731QYB35QD
>>
>>53556038
>http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Ports-10Gbps-Express-Card/dp/B015JYYZNY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51VscTUCVHL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0PZTKFFVZW731QYB35QD

please tell me how I bolt that to a laptop
>>
>>53555992
My laptop's a Lenovo y50-70.
Some variants come with an ssd.
>>
>>53556038

you do realize OP is talking about plugging an SSD drive into the PCI bus directly and leaving it inside the laptop

and you are telling him to buy an adapter that....plugs into the PCI slot then has a cord that leads to the hard drive thus adding a cord and complexity for no reason to reach the PCI bus

brilliant
>>
>>53556120

you should be ok then

i would google the model and see if people are bitching about having problems in forums who are doing the swap though, for instance one brand might be fine another might cause you a headache, just saying
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.