[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't believe how powerful this computer is. I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
I can't believe how powerful this computer is. I bought it in mid 2012 and it still just werks

Is it the SSD?
>>
>>53554120
yeah
>>
Macs age VERY well. I've used macs made before 2009 that are still amazingly comfy to use. Windows is starting to get better though. Windows 7 especially made it so old hardware stays relevant.
>>
Probably the gimped meme OS you're using
>>
>>53554157
/thread
>>
I'm running a C2D from 2007 and it's still working flawlessly, I guess some hardware is just not as faulty as the other.
>>
>>53554175
has nothing to do with the machine being a mac.

>>53554157
/thread
>>
>>53554175
My thinkpad is from 2009
>>
>>53554176
how so?
>>
>>53554208
>OS explicitly made to work with and optimized for this specific piece of hardware
>hurrdurr it's only the SSD
>>
>>53554120
No it's the fact that computers have long reached a point where they are completely overpowered for typical shit like webbrowsing and office work.

My laptop is from 2008 and my computer was build in 2010. Both have no issue with anything that isn't the latest triple A games.
>>
>>53554224
yeah
>>
>>53554175
My old macbook and macbook pro aged like shit. They are barely usable today
This rMBP is the first apple product that really amazed me
>>
>>53554120
Your computer's three years old, why would it not just werk? Mine's 8 and it's still great

Also you can use Cmd+Shift+4, Space to take a screencap of a specific window
>>
>>53554120
OSX has a much more stable core and doesn't get bloated over time like Winshit because of registry.
>>
>>53554175

A 4 year old computer being used as a daily driver is not remarkable at all. My daily driver is a 7 year old thinkpad. Anything made after 2008-2009 with an SSD and linux installed will run forever if you only do browsing and word processing.

>that markup on used macs
>>
File: 1456991231824.jpg (29 KB, 458x535) Image search: [Google]
1456991231824.jpg
29 KB, 458x535
>>53554120
>mfw macfags are impressed by 4 year old hardware that isn't obselete yet
>>
the ssd is the only thing that makes it usable.

my 2011 was a fucking piece of shit on every OS starting with 10.7. apple fucked over the people with spinning disks hoping they would upgrade, but i just put an 840 evo into my 2011 macbook and now it works fine.

10.6.8 was the best version of osx though
>>
>>53554715
OP's just a retard, the only reason El Capitan doesn't support all Intel Macs is because the unsupported ones are 32-bit and the past few OS X versions have been 64-bit only.
>>
>>53555010
not really, some 64-bit macbooks are not supported since 10.8
>>
>>53555113
Oh yeah, I think there were some iGPUs they decided to drop support for
>>
>>53555123
yeah, lack of 64bit gpu drivers
>>
>>53554732
10.9 was great with an HDD, I had an SSD by the time I upgraded to 10.10 so I can't comment on that nor 10.6-10.8 though
>>
i have a 07 17" imac with an intel core 2 duo t5600 and 2 gb of ram. It's impossible for the computer to boot with over 2gb of ram due to firmware limitations which I assume was planned obsolescence by Apple. It also can't u[grade to anything newer than Lion. OH and also basically every model made during that year gets the display ruined by lines going down the screen after the warranty expires due to a display manufacturing defect.

I decided Lion was too slow, and installed Windows 7 on it. No Windows disks would boot and it doesn't detect bootable usb's.

Any time I tried to load from a Windows installer disk I was prompted with

Select CD-ROM boot-type. _

So that didn't work, I had to go on apple.stackexchange and found a solution that involved extracting neutral.cab from my installer disk. Extracting oscdimg from that, and using the command line to create a new iso image with the original windows installer and the extracted oscdimg.

So fuck Apple. I do love my late 2013 rmbp with 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, and nvidia dgpu though
>>
>>53554120
I had the same one, with 16GB upgrade. It had had traveled to a repair center for 4 times when Apple replaced it for another one.
>>
>>53554120

how come do you have 1536MB graphics?
>>
>>53555861
>which I assume was planned obsolescence by Apple
Doubtful. Apple states my 2008 iMac only supports 4GB RAM and here I am using 6GB. If you can't use more than 2GB RAM I'd assume it's because your northbridge can't support more than 2GB RAM.

Also
>17"
>T5600
It's a 2006
>>
My MacBook Pro 13 from 2006 finally broke earlier this year. It had Ubuntu 12.04.3 and OSX 10.7.5 on it. The thing still worked like new and ran the latest version of everything I used it for. I have a couple of other laptops, but it amazed me that a laptop would last me a decade. I only replaced the battery twice in 10 years. I'll always buy MacBooks.
>>
>>53556358

pic related is my late 2007 mbp 15''

I don't upgrade to el capitan bcs I don't see any reason. It works very cool and fast. I installed a second 500 gb HDD when the superdrive failed. I use it for torrenting, collecting&playing flac.
>>
>>53556524
Good for you?

Also El Capitan is basically Yosemite but better, why would you not upgrade?
>>
>>53556524

This is the battery info of that computer. I believe it depends to the user to use it with care.
>>
>>53556536

I heard there are some issues about wacom drivers and Adobe's CS6 programs. I didn't risk to mess with my workflow. I installed el capitan to other machines tho. I'd install it in the future if I can make a time machine back up for this one and try it myself.
>>
>>53556358
you do know that manufacturers' ram recommendations are often incorrect, right? just because it says the max is 4 gb for example, often the pc will be able to use more. this is not new.
>>
I don't think I'd notice any difference at all if I upgraded to a new model. Don't expect that to change in the next couple years.
>>
>>53557036
No fucking shit, I've got a program that lists all Mac's stated memory capacity and actual memory capacity.
>>
*Macs'
>>
Upgrade basically any laptop after 2011 with a SSD and you won't have any problem for a long time. If you're using too much swap get some extra ram. As soon as your CPU can't handle it anymore then you might consider getting a new one.
>>
>>53555113
Honestly I have installed the current OSX on macbooks as old as early 2010 and they ran like champs rocking 6 hours of battery life etc.
If all you do is web browsing and word processing and really basic coding Macs are great.
>>
>>53554120
>>53554120
>2012
kek, my 2009 emachines e278 still runs like a motherfucker. After slapping an SSD it boots in 30 seconds.
>>
All computers nowadays age pretty well, because most of the progress has gone into lowering the power consumption, not increasing the speeds.

My laptop from 2012 is still working just fine and pretty much on par with the newer undervolted processor series.
>>
>>53554120
Wouah a macbook that still work after 4 years...
You are so retarded dude...
>>
>>53554120
I think it has a lot to do with the ratina display. Most people on /g/ underappreciate the processing power of the ratina display, and fail to realize that there isn't a single Apple machine built between 1990-2005 with a ratina display that's gone obsolete - frankly, I think that says a lot about how far ahead of it's time apple has been.
>>
>>53554120
It's because processors aren't that much better than they were back in 2012. Based off the year that computer is probably running Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, for general usage they still work fine, just look at how many people are using 2500k still.
>>
>>53554120
>generic compaq prebuilt
>use it 14hrs every day
>havent upgraded since 2007
>everything still works just fine
Kek macfags BTFO
>>
>>53554732
If you're not on an SSD, Mavericks still works very well. It's Yosemite and El Capitan that totally rape HDDs.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.