[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he only listens to tracks that he's heard before >he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: Sony-MZ-N707-MD-Walkman.jpg (3 MB, 2860x2440) Image search: [Google]
Sony-MZ-N707-MD-Walkman.jpg
3 MB, 2860x2440
>he only listens to tracks that he's heard before
>he doesn't listen to full albums
>he uses playlists
>he doesn't want a device with a week-long battery life
>he doesn't want a device with physical buttons for track control
Why don't you use a minidisc player, /g/?
>>
I have the successor to the device that killed the Walkman. Also known as an iPhone with 128GB.
>>
>>53551993

Because I have an 80gb scrolly ipod, aka the best thing Apple has ever made.
>>
>>53551993
I had the 707.
It broke.
>>
>>53552019
>Phone
The ultimate mp3/walkman/tape killer.
>>
>>53552050
>can't play lossless audio
kek
>>
>>53551993

I have the last one ever made by Sony. It looks incredible but for convenience why they fuck would I want to carry another device with a whole 1GB of storage per disc?
>>
>>53552147
>a whole 1GB of storage per disc
You should sell that shit anon, you have a Hi-MD player and they're rare, Hi-MD discs themselves are pretty pricey.
>>
>>53552085
this retard does not know that minidisc audio is compressed
>but HI-MD
no
>>
Because mp3 players have all that and more?
In a smaller package no less
>>
>>53552085

Why would I need FLAC for on the go when I can use superior OPUS?
>>
>needs optical connector
>need to record music manually to minidisc
>there is anti-shock but for a limited intervall only
>small storage that can't hold my whole music library
>not having your music lib on an external 4TB drive linked as OTG to your smartphone
>>
>>53551993
i dont want to carry another device, i already have a music player, thank you anon.
>>
>>53551993
My iPod Classic's battery lasts around a week and its SSD can hold around 120 minidiscs worth of content.
>>
I have a Sandisk Clip.
>>
>>53552512
I'm sorry to hear that
>>
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 650x487
>>53551993
I already have this
>>
>>53552385
I can't believe I fell for the Minidisc player meme back in 2000. It was like 300 bucks. The dumbest part about owning one was I only had about 7 minidiscs worth of music since my family was still on dialup at the time. Also

>needing to manually record music to minidisc

So much this.
>>
>>53552537
>Placebo: the post
>>
>>53551993
This bait thread sucks. Usually people will reply
> but I have phone. Etc
Then OP will reply
>but muh (some autistic reason)
Thus giving rewards ( (you)s ) for replying in a bait thread. But no, OP doesn't reply.
>>
>>53552249
>this retard does not know that minidisc audio is compressed
>What is ATRAC Advanced Lossless?
>>
>>53552368
Serious inquiry: How is OPUS superior?
>>
>>53552537
What the fuck is that?
>>
Serious Question: for on the go audio is there even the slightest advantage over an Ipod Classi or Fiio x1?
>>
>>53553869
There isn't. People are just being hipsters.
>>
>>53553869
You can get a MD player for $20 and it won't matter if anyone pickpockets it or if you drop it.
>>
>>53553997
Yeah and then I'd need to carry a few hundred discs and actively switch them as I decide to play different songs. Or I could just play my iPod on shuffle.
>>
>>53553997
You can get an MP3 player for less than ten bucks.
>>
>Why don't you use a minidisc player?

Because time and technology has advanced past them.
>>
>>53553791
it is not
>>
I remember reading years ago that it was congress that hobbled the minidisc.

They were worried about copyright infringement and shit so they mandated moronic copy restrictions in the minidisc software you used with your PC.

>sonic stage was aweful to use
>I remember not being able to copy a song more than a few times before being stopped
thanks congress

Honestly, minidiscs could have been great if it wasn't for the poor software.
>>
>>53551993
Didn't these things flop hard? I remember when they first came out a few people had one but not long after everyone had an ipod instead.
>>
>>53554843
Possible. More like Sony shooting themself in the foot per usual in order to protect their own record publishing division, which tends to be one of the few profitable ones.

They used the same dogshit transfer software for phones / MP3 players for a while
>>
>>53554843
The copybit was quite easily solved by using a nonshite analog cable.

The NetMD software was horrible shite though. By the time HiMD came about, it was already too late.

Pity, really liked these devices. Probably the last personal HiFi gear that actually felt HiFi. MP3 players sound well, but feel so plasticky.

I'd probably still be happy with 1 GB discs, if they just mounted as USB mass storage and hadn't nickel and dimed the shit out of those discs.
>>
>>53551993
I use an old smartphone with 1500mAh battery, xposed/PBMC and a 64gb MicroSD. Works for me.
>>
>>53552085
Lossless audio is needed for archival purposes only anyways, so why would you put lossless files on your portable player? It's not like there's an audible difference between a FLAC and one of these:
>V0 MP3
>256 AAC
>128 Opus
>>
>>53553812
A music player for audiophiles that costs $12 million.
>>
>>53555110
I'm not going to bother keeping two copies of my music
>>
>>53552085
Except you're retarded and wrong.
>stock firmware can play ALAC and AIFF
>can also be Rockboxed if you insist on muh FLAC
Nice try though.
>>
>>53555142
So you only have music on your portable device? What if you want to listen to music on your PC?
>>
>>53551993
>minidisc

Kill yourself.
>>
>>53555212
What am I supposed to convert everything to a lossy format when I sync? Nah, I'll just take the lossless music I already have and put it on the player.
>>
the one thing I disagree with being a point in the OP is

>he uses playlists

I use playlists for each artist. The way a lot of players handle albums is not very good, so even if it's a single album I will put it into a playlist.

We can agree on the rest but I'm still not really interested in that player thing.
>>
>>53555245
>am I supposed to convert everything to a lossy format when I sync?
would it really slow the process down?
>>
>>53555348
>would converting music then transferring it be slower than just transferring it?
>>
>>53552548
>manual recording
Same thing with cassettes basically, at least from radio or friends CDs/vinyl.
>>
>>53555371
convert it while transferring it, if you can encode the audio faster than the device can be written to, it won't take any more time than transferring as-is, it could even potentially be faster, as you will have less data to write
>>
>>53555475
I sync with iTunes, I'd need to convert then transfer then delete, no thanks. Even when I did use Rockbox I didn't do that. Why should I even bother if I've got the space for my whole lossless collection? It's just silly.
>>
>>53551993
>>he doesn't listen to full albums
the only reason music was ever sold as albums is because records, cassette tapes, and CDs held several songs worth of music. There's no point to having albums now that songs are just files and storage is somewhere between large and infinite.
>>
>>53555920
Except some albums played chronologically tell a story
>>
>>53555245
In a perfect world you would already have a lossy copy
>>
>>53556071
But keeping two copies of my music is retarded
>>
>>53556091
you have a copy on your computer and on your pmp
>>
Is there a decent dedicated music playing device that can take SD cards?
>>
>>53556106
And?
>>
>>53556133
See:>>53556091
>>
File: GalGadot.gif (3 MB, 250x252) Image search: [Google]
GalGadot.gif
3 MB, 250x252
>>53556122
Don't let /g/ troll you into the Sansa Clip.
>>
>>53556178
Yes, on two separate devices. I'm saying two copies of music on the same device is retarded, and it is. See >>53555551
>Why should I even bother if I've got the space for my whole lossless collection? It's just silly.
>>
>>53556196
sansa clip, clip+ and clip zip are great devices
made more for portability which may be a downside but they still have strong battery life, play a variety of formats and are able to run rockbox
>>
>>53552019

What's it like paying 400 dollars for an extra 100gb of flash storage?
>>
File: DSC00021.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
DSC00021.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
I don't use my minidisc because it's ridiculously difficult to put music on it or else it would be my go to car player
>>
>>53551993
>>he only listens to tracks that he's heard before
yes
>>he doesn't listen to full albums
yes
>>he uses playlists
no
>>he doesn't want a device with a week-long battery life
wrong
>>he doesn't want a device with physical buttons for track control
wrong
>>
the same reason as everybody else. this music video fucking killed the minidisc over night. everybody shunned it afterwards since no one wanted to be associated with it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymNFyxvIdaM
>>
>>53556837
I really doubt that
>>
>>53557274
it happend in my class. i was 18 when freestyler premiered at mtv. it took about a week until everybody went back to their walkmans.
>>
>>53557432
>my class
So it really impacted nobody
>>
>>53557493
can't prove anything, but it's around that time i saw the minidisc disappear from the market. music stores stopped selling music in md, the players went on sale.

trends comes and goes for ridiculous reasons
>>
>>53551993
>Using proprietary ATRAC compression

disgusting.
>>
File: 36551MDSPP7000_big.jpg (30 KB, 590x187) Image search: [Google]
36551MDSPP7000_big.jpg
30 KB, 590x187
>>53551993
I used to be a pro... Not only I owned a minidisc portable player but I also had my car stereo bought specifically for minidisc
>>
>>53551993
Because the audio quality is much poorer than ALAC?
>>
>>53554843
>sonic stage was awful to use

I never had a Minidisc player but I did have one of Sony's standard portable CD players that played Atrac3Plus. Holy shit was Sonic Stage a steaming bowl of elephant piss. My collection of music at the time was only a few hundred songs but my slow ass computer took 5 hours to convert it to Atrac and SS would crash multiple times a few hours in. And I don't believe you could resume so you just had to restart it.

Was totally worth it tho

>tfw hundreds of songs on a single CD
13 year old me thought this was the future of PMPs
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.