[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fury or 980? I *would like* to run 4K smoothly...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: GTX-980-vs-Fury[1].jpg (106 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
GTX-980-vs-Fury[1].jpg
106 KB, 1024x576
Fury or 980?

I *would like* to run 4K smoothly...
>>
The 980 will only run 3.5K
>>
>>53551761
980 overclocked matches a 980 ti. Fury can't overclock.
>>
Looking at the bench marks, the Fury looks better than the 980?
>>
>>53551761
Depends if you want to be DX12 ready or not.

Fury if you want to be future proof for DX12.
980 if you want to get cucked firmware and then have to upgrade to nvidia's newest card in 1-2 years.
>>
>>53551775
ayy

>>53551805
Fury is definitely better. Sapphire's Fury can overclock.
>>
>>53552026
Also unlock to full fury x?

So pretty much fury x/980 ti performance at 980 prices without needing a heavy overclock that still leaves you lacking
>>
I was in this position and went for the Fury.

>>53551775
>Fury can't overclock.
This meme comes from tech reviewers just trying to slide things up in MSI afterburner like they do for their Nvidia cards. You need Sapphire Trixx to properly OC the Fury in order to get voltage and memory frequency control.

My Fury's nice and comfy at 1150MHz.

Not sure what you have in mind, but none of these cards can really do 4K at high frame rates for tricky games. The Fury runs ultra Witcher 3 at 1440p on my machine at 60fps, so probably wouldn't be playable for me at 4K. Depends on your fps and settings standards.

>>53552047
>Also unlock to full fury x?
Only possible with early batches, see some of the Fiji unlocking threads on overclock.net
>>
>4K smooth
Not even with dual 980Tis can you do this.
Give up on 4K until 2017.

As for what you should get if you want to buy now- buy two of the highest end card from either nvidia or AMD. That'd be two fury X cards or two 980Tis
Anything less is not 4K worthy.

4K is INSANELY demanding.
>>
>>53552047
Fury hands down then?

I have been an nvidia user for a long time...
>>53552391
How to make sure I buy the right model that can be unlocked to Fury X and/or overclock?
>>
>>53552411
ok, ill run in 1440 most likely then.
>>
>>53552424
If it's 1440, then a single high end card should be just good enough.
But now is a tricky time to buy high end, if you have something already you'll want to wait for the dieshinks coming in late 2016.
>>
>>53551761
Fury for future-proofing since the 980 will fall out soon
>>
>>53552439
>>53552444

Building new system
>>
>>53552412
>How to make sure I buy the right model that can be unlocked to Fury X and/or overclock?

For overclocking, I believe the Sapphire Nitro is the current leader, but obviously there's some silicon lottery luck involved.

Only early Sapphire Tri-Xs and Asus Strixs could be unlocked. If you buy a new one, chances are you won't be able to unlock. You could try ebay and ask sellers to test it with an application called CUinfo. Or you could give up trying to find one as an OC'd Fury outdoes a stock Fury-X anyway.
>>
>>53551761
Titan X
>>
>play games at 4k
>achieve almost unnoticeable better AA as ONLY improvement and broken UI and generally unplayable games
Can you kill yourself already
>>
General question, how is performance looking with DX12 around the corner?
>>
>>53553762
DX12 makes much better use of AMD's cards since it allows developers to exert more control over how they use the graphical processing available rather than falling for proprietary prebaked dlls and effects provided by nvidiacorp that run best on genuine Nvidia™hardware. The way it's meant to be played™®
>>
>>53553850
By the sound of this thread, it is either stupid to buy nvidia or... I am getting shilled.
>>
>>53553881
It's stupid to buy Nvidia. You can check it yourself easily. For example, look for benchmarks for their 7xx series back when they were released (2013 I think?) and compare them with the 280, 280x, 290 and 290x. Now compare benchmarks for recent games. Their AMD counterparts are nowadays one tier above what they used to be. If I remember correctly the 780Ti was designed to trade blows with the 290x, nowadays the 390 (rebranded 290x) is moping the floor with it.
>>
>>53553881
Yes. You buy NVIDIA cards if you want the best performance overall for the current batch of games, and if you have a big budget. NVIDIA has had the best single GPU performance for the last few years, and they might continue to do so (of course cards like the R9 295x2 and Pro Duo are better, but those are dual-GPU). So if you have the money to spare and don't mind upgrading your card the next year becuase NVIDIA cards have no longevity, that's ok.

But for cards that aren't the absolute highest end, AMD will last longer and is much better value for money. AMD cards won't get you the best single GPU performance (in some games yes, but not overall), but in return they will last a few years and still be competitive.

TL;DR: You buy a 980ti/Titan X if you want the overall best performance RIGHT NOW. You buy a 390X/Fury/Fury X if you want your card to last.
>>
>>53551761
Fury.
NVIDIA has already started dropping driver support for the 980 in anticipation of the new cards. The 390 is on par with the 980 now.
>>
>>53554051
This. AMD cards gain performance over the years, NVIDIA cards lose performance within a year.
>>
>>53553881
>it is either stupid to buy nvidia or... I am getting shilled.

Bit of both. AMD do seem to have the better card for your pricepoint at this time.

At the same time, /g/ dislikes Nvidia because of their shady practices with gamesworks and their attempts to actively work against open source projects.

You're are getting both of these things coming through in this thread.
>>
>>53554051
>390X
Don't understand that card anymore, it's not quite good enough for intensive games at 1440p but its overkill for 1080p.

The only smart buys for demanding games are the 390 for 1080p, the Fury, Fury-X and 980-ti for 1440p and SLI/crossfire options for 4K. Everything else occupies awkward spots between resolutions or is made redundant by one of the above cards.
>>
Fury, get the Sapphire one.
>>
Now I see why AMD is always in the red, they spend all their money on shills.
>>
>>53554899
>State facts based on benchmarks, NVIDIA's and AMD's business practices, user experience and performance
>hurr durr everyone's a shill
>>
>>53552391
>Only possible with early batches
If you're talking about all 4096 shaders, then yeah, that's first-run thing only, but I bought a newer Sapphire Nitro Fury back in December and unlocked 3840, which is still a decent bump if you wanna take a chance
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.