[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Manjaro? A meme or a jewel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6
What doe you guys think about manjaro? I want a clean looking nice OS, and I've heard arch is pretty nice. I don't know anything about installing gnu/linux but I am very good at handling it. Anything I need to look out for?
>>
>>53551496
It's good. Use it.
>>
Not sure but there was this meme going on about shit drivers.
>>
>>53551504
Is it much different than other popular distros?
>>
Manjaro, a version of Arch that works 'out of the box'.
>>
Use it. It is decent distribution.
>>
>>53551518
Less street cred thou
>>
A fucking jewel
>Install Manjaro
>>
Arch without the bleeding edge, aka Arch without Arch.
>>
>>53551496
It's Arch, but fucked up.

I don't mean that it's preconfigured. It uses it's own repos that are behind.

Also, it's preconfigured.
>>
>>53551585
But how is that bad?
>>
It's like arch, but for retarded autistics
>>
>>53551607
just personal preference on the preconfig part, i guess.
feels less of 'your personal system' to me.
>>
>>53551667
I see where you're coming from, Im trying to use this to step to a real arch distro. I don't know enough about it to install.
>>
>>53551714
just a matter of reading the wiki carefully, really.
you can practice in VMware and write down step-by-step to simplify it for the real install.
>>
>>53551773
I thought about that, but I'd rather get comfortable with it first. Once I feel comfortable I will install arch.
>>
>>53551607
you need to compile all the things you use everytime to be 100% free as in freedom

you're free of not being free to use preconfigured systems

i hate /g/
>>
>>53551812
allright, have fun tinkering with it, mate.
>>
>>53551826
Lmfaoing @ ur life pussy faggot. RMS is shilling on /g/ now
>>
>>53551714

You could just install Arch, it's easy. The Arch wiki information is cryptic but there are plenty of youtube videos that go through installing step by step. Some of them even include installing a DE, so the outcome will be pretty much the same as it is with Manjaro. Difference being Arch is actually up to date always, as Manjaro is usually outdated and buggy.

Trust me it's easier than you think. Just remember, that if you are using a wireless connection, then when installing packages with pacstap, remember to install dialog, wpa_supplicant and iw. Some of the guides leave this bit out, I learned this the hard way. I learned that without these packages it doesn't install wifi-menu which you need to have a very basic connection tool for wireless internet.
>>
>>53551496
I had trouble with Veracrypt/Truecrypt and QEMU when I ran it, trouble with loop devices, but if you don't use mounting(aside from physical volumes) or VMs, you probably won't run into too many issues.
It's actually a pretty stable distro. It's not quite Arch, but it's better than a lot of other distros.
>>
>>53551496
Is Manjaro the new Crunchbang?
>>
File: manjaro budgie.png (790 KB, 1920x1077) Image search: [Google]
manjaro budgie.png
790 KB, 1920x1077
>>53551504
Steps required to get VirtualBox running on Manjaro:
-install VB using package manager
-manually add kernel module using modprobe
-manually add your use to vboxusers group
-manually create virtualbox.conf file with kernel modules to load on startup

How is it good or acceptable? There are tons of thing in Arch-based distros that should be done with two clicks but aren't.
Those distros are good only for testing new DEs or other very fresh packages.
>>
Try antergos. It is also based on arch
>>
>has it's own shitty outdated repos
>devs are full retard
Use antergos/architect/actual arch
>>
Go ahead it's quite nice
>>
>>53551496
I'm happy with XFCE version and if I had decent hardware I would try KDE version. It's simple, visually appealing and works OOTB. Regular Arch users will be ok with you using, /g/ Arch users will insult you because this is 4chan and people hate everything and everyone.
>>
>he doesn't use antergos instead
>>
>>53552559
This. It also has a minimal install option.
>>
>>53552960

>He doesn't stop being a terminal retard and just installs arch

It really isn't hard. If you can read and type, you can install it.
>>
i'm using it ATM. about to make Visual studio Code into an IDE.
>>
>>53552559
>>53552960
>>53553120
Archetiect Linux is the best Arch "distro" if you want a pure vanilla installation. Even when I tried Antergos it installed a bunch of unnessary shit in it.
>>
>>53551496
I'm using the cinnamon edition for several months now. I like it.
>>
>>53552521
Which one?

Open source from the community repo or binary from the AUR?

I didn't have to do anything with the open source one, it just werksâ„¢
>>
File: 1344368440688.jpg (196 KB, 590x443) Image search: [Google]
1344368440688.jpg
196 KB, 590x443
I gave up trying to use it

At first when I was trying to install it, it kept giving me an error right before installing. Then after I managed installed it, grub was non existent and I was trying to boot Manjaro from a second drive on my laptop with windows on the first drive. Then after I got everything working, grub could never detect Windows from sda no matter what I did. And the worst part of all is that I kept getting

SCREEN TEARS
C
R
E
E
N

T
E
A
R
S

Arch is a meme and I'm a fucking retard, pic not related
>>
>>53552521
>with two clicks
Good news, anon: Windows 10 was released!
>>
I actually gave up on Arch and moved to Manjaro. Installing arch just takes your computer out of commission for a few days while you install and fix it's shit. Manjaro is install, done. Works right out of the box, which is important if you're installing on your daily driver. Afterwards you can rice it out with Awesome, hax0r neovim configs, etc.

Also, I have no fucking clue why the Arch Wiki is so lacking on wifi, it's terrible. Wifi-menu barely works at all and the article on netctl switching it's out of date and just all around bad.
>>
>>53553748
>screen tearing
Replace your compositor and configure it correctly. Compton, my nigga.
>>
>>53553781
No, thanks. I have W10 as a second system, but Ubuntu-based distributions require less work and maintenance than Windows.
>>
>>53553926
Compton is the shit.
>>
>>53551496
You gain a bit of stability and get to keep AUR while sacrificing a significant part of the god-tier Arch documentation in your favor (Manjaro's docs aren't bad per se but they're scarce). Decide by yourself whether it's worth the tradeoff.

>>53551585
>Also, it's preconfigured.
Use the net installer
>>
It's shit. Use tumbleweed
>>
>>53554647
>Tumbleweed
Funny, just about to replace it with Arch. Can't speak for Leap, but Tumbleweed a shit.
>>
Can someone explain to a Linux noob what the real difference is between distributions. I've ran fedora, Ubuntu, opensuse, Manjaro and more recently arch.
Other than package managers, they all feel the same due to the OSs usability pretty much being determined by the DE. I don't like any of the available DEs, that's why I installed arch because I just use i3.
>>
>>53552423
Budsen Labs is the new Crunchbang, but no one cares about it because it has a shit name for a distro
>>
>>53551496
Security incompetent developers, or at least lazy. Once their cert expired, nobody could install packages. Their fix? "Set your clocks back".

That kinda jaded me on Manjaro.
>>
>>53552521
Well, all all this has to be done once.
And it doesnt take 5 hours to do this, 5 minutes i guess
>>
>>53554800
Some minor filesystem differences aside, and discounting the really niche or source-based distros? Barely any difference. All these shitflinging distro wars you see are pretty much just pro-skub vs anti-skub.
>>
>>53551496
It's fine. Basically another distro aiming to please those who want a full-fledged distro out of the box. I could imagine using it under some circumstances, but since there are so many other options, I don't.

Certainly, for some users it has benefits over using Arch even aside from being something that works immediately. Personally I'd rather user Manjaro than Arch, but that's just me. Realistically, I doubt I'm ever going to use either as even a secondary system. My minimal choices are elsewhere as are my full-fledged distro choices.
>>
>>53552122
>so the outcome will be pretty much the same as it is with Manjaro
No, it won't. Manjaro is not only Arch with a DE.

>>53552423
That doesn't make sense on any level.

>>53554806
It's BunsenLabs, and it's a great name and also tied to the way #! releases were named after Muppet Show characters. The character in this case is Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.
>>
I've been using it on my laptop with xfce, absolutely adore it. Has the only good package manager GUI I've used.
>>
>>53555037
except that there is a wide consensus that skub is absolute shit
>>
>>53555658
Are you me?
>>
To date it's the best distro. It's arch with the comfyness and ease of mint without arch's bullshit setup and mint devs' incompetence.
>>
>>53555582
>Honeydew
Sounds like a better distro name desu
>>
>>53551496
used it 3 years ago and it was shit

tried it again last month, now it's my daily driver
>>
I'm about to pull the trigger for my laptop. Arch or Manjaro? Don't care about ease of install.
>>
I like to use the openrc version
otherwise I wouldn't use it, doesn't mean its bad though, but its nothing special either
>>
>>53556374
>Don't care about ease of install
how can you not care if you ask a question like that? are you a prodigy hacker?
>>
>>53554800
Package managers, desktop environments, and less commonly file systems, and init systems... but kernel level they are all the same
>>
>>53551496
Only Manjaro Cinnamon is worth it. Every other version is objectively terrible.
>>
>>53556684
Because Arch isn't hard to install from a CLI, I've already did it in a VM. Now I want one of these for actual dualbooting, and can't quite decide.
>>
>>53556787
install gentoo
>>
>>53556808
Don't want to install software for 6 hours
>>
>>53556787
>Arch isn't hard to install from a CLI
I tried on several different devices following the instructions and it never once worked. Literally every single command would do nothing. What's the secret?
>>
>>53556823
What guide did you use? If it was one of the /g/ ones, well they have errors in them.
>Literally every single command would do nothing
Even if you chrooted into the system from the iso or it just didn't boot on its own?
>>
File: Excella_Gionne.jpg (63 KB, 500x1150) Image search: [Google]
Excella_Gionne.jpg
63 KB, 500x1150
>>53551659
this
>>
>>53551496
It was ok when I first installed it with KDE about 18 months ago. I went through some pain when upgrading to plasma5. Since then, the updates have got better and better. It's a really solid OS now.
>>
>>53556775
Although kde and xfce are the official versions
>>
File: 1449200104783.jpg (70 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1449200104783.jpg
70 KB, 480x480
manjaro, crunchbang, or bunsenlabs if I'm a complete pleb with linux and i just want a decent lookin one out of the box?
>>
>>53551496
>I want a clean looking nice OS
any Linux can be made to look this way.

It's a rolling release distro that has had various issues in the past. Besides that, it's Linux.
>>
>>53559469
manjaro has a NON SYSTEMD iso on sourceforge, I use it.

crunchbang is dead (?)

bunsen is highly experimental (?)
>>
Is Manjaro the gaymer OS of GNU/Linux distros?
>>
I used it a few times back in 2013-14

It surprisingly worked better than pretty much anything else out of the box. Even ubuntu which was weird. But that was related to my sound card back then.

I just don't like their defaults in terms of looks, but otherwise it's fine. I think it gets too much criticism for what it is. I see Mint as much more of a failure.
>>
File: eba.jpg (370 KB, 579x567) Image search: [Google]
eba.jpg
370 KB, 579x567
>>53551496
>i7 4790k
>2GB RAM
all of my what
>>
>>53552960
Architect is where it's at.

Antergos is the buggiest piece of shit I've seen yet. I remember that even checking a single one of the "extras" included would not allow me to finish the installation.

Also numix gets boring. Font rendering was superb though.
>>
>>53559500
I'm not seeing shit about non systemd on sourceofrge. What am I missing?
>>
>>53559523
No thats debian stable
>>
>>53559559
I was expecting a dick.
>>
>>53559600
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=manjaro+openrc

Gives me:
sourceforge.net/projects/manjaro-openrc

With XFCE
>>
>>53559648
oh i see, i thought you meant on this
https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjarolinux/
that's probably why I didnt find it
>>
>>53559666
okie, 666
>>
>>53558181
And they're shit.
>>
>>53559666
The fucking devil didn't want you to find
>>
>>53559618
But Manjaro is green & black colored...
>>
>>53556374
arch is unstable, would break maybe once every two months for me, admittedly not that often

manjaro is stable and has yet to break once. also it comes with an assortment of nifty tools like the hardware detection tool and the kernel selection GUI.
>>
>>53556775
Is it good and not just slapped together? I remember years ago trying manjaro unofficial spins and holy shit did they just "not werk" at all. Such broken shits.
>>
>>53559697
You're shit
>>
>>53559618
you want to run top of the line hardware on a pre 4.X kernel? what's the matter with you?
>>
>>53559718
I've been running Manjaro Cinnamon on my main rig for months without an issue. Not sure about their other spins, but Cinnamon is polished as fuck.
>>
>install manjaro
>wow I could really use that 'feh' program
>pacman -s feh
>package not found
>wouw I could really use that 'screenfetch' program
>package not found
and then I found another to use
>>
>>53559646
Gay.
>>
>>53559828
another distro to use*
>>
>>53559828
Don't lie anon.
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) feh-2.14.2-1

Total Download Size: 0.17 MiB
Total Installed Size: 0.41 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
>>
>>53559500
>manjaro has a NON SYSTEMD iso on sourceforge
Arch does too
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.