[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /g/ i saw this today and it raised a question. So my processor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled-1.jpg (433 KB, 1102x802) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
433 KB, 1102x802
hey /g/ i saw this today and it raised a question. So my processor (i7 6700) has an integrated graphics card (intel 530). In my dxdiag it shows the 530 in my display tab. Is my computer running on the 530 or my 970?
>>
Your monitor is probably plugged into the motherboard, not the graphics card.
>>
>>53546103
it switches on the fly depending on demand
>>
i7 6700 w/ 970m?

What is this?
>>
>>53546164
its a laptop actually
>>
>>53546239
Then it's what >>53546180 said.
>>
>>53546191
i know i should have gone with a 4790
>>
>>53546103
>>53546180
What he said.
Try benchmark a game to see what it's uses
>>
>>53546180
Not really correct, both GPUs work together
Usually the discrete one copies the video data to the integrated one
>>
Go into "manage 3d settings" and change the graphics card selector from "auto" to "nvidia"
That will force the computer to always use the GeForce card.
This will completely fuck your battery life though.
Welcome to nVidia Optimus
>>
>>53546309
ty anon
>>
>>53546476
You are welcome.

If you right click an executable you will get the "run with..." option so you can select between the iGPU (intel) and the dGPU (nvid) at execution. There's also an option to set specific graphics settings per application. You'll need to use this for things like Minecraft.
Because it uses Java, and Java isn't generally used for gaming, by default Optimus will put it on the iGPU.
My workaround is using the Curse Minecraft client which gives each minecraft instance it's own Java executable (which you can assign in the Optimus control panel)
Heads up though, opengl applications forced into the dGPU will be put through a DirectX filter because shit driver implementation. So streaming or recording can get a horrendous "flicker" to it. The bypass to this is to use the iGPU and opengl will be used without direct x.

Optimus is great on paper and utter shite in practice
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.