[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kernel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
Ok /g/, it's time to end all "what's the best OS" debate. We will design our own kernel. We will target x86-64 architecture.

1) What programming language should we use?
2) What should be in the kernel, and what should be in userspace?
3) What should be the recommended filesystem?
4) Bonus: name it.

Backward compatibility, and compatibility with [muh favourite software] is not the question. Imagine, if no software exists except the bare minimum to develop the desired OS, and x86-64 is brand new, nothing have been cross-compiled to it.
>>
I'll start on the logo first
>>
>>53545661
Do the thing in rust, that would really make a difference.
>>
>>53545681
/thread
>>
>>53545661
>>53545688
no do it in mindfuck
>>
1) Rust
2) Everything in userspace
3) Any simple fs, ext4 is OK
4) Rust:the OS
>>
File: heston grin.jpg (13 KB, 217x217) Image search: [Google]
heston grin.jpg
13 KB, 217x217
>>53545661
>2010+6
>reinventing the wheel
>with /g/'s neetfags who don't know more than "install gentoo"

wew
>>
Lol fuck off and kill yourself.
Developing a kernel is hard work, it's not something /g/ can do as a project.
Remember, most of /g/ have only just moved past fizzbuzz, hardly any people here even know assembly and the one that do only know it on a basic level, much less know ring 0 programming.
And you need someone to write device drivers, which is just as much work as making a kernel, especially if it's a GPU driver.

It will never happen, just give up.
>>
i would say 640x480 with 16 colours it's a good covenant. we won't spend much time for our game arts. also ring 0 only it's an important feature.
>>
File: 1419721443217.jpg (35 KB, 529x502) Image search: [Google]
1419721443217.jpg
35 KB, 529x502
>>53545661
There is no debate. Windows is literally the best OS. Has been for years. Everything else is a meme that children believe in.
>>
>>53545757
>TempleOS 2.0
>>
>>53545661
At least develop a kernel for RISC-V. Now, that would be cool. New software platform on legacy-free foundation.
>>
>>53545709
Redox.
>>53545757
FreeDOS
>>53545761
GFYS
>>
>>53545761
Hello pajeet
>>
File: 1401585633337.jpg (81 KB, 533x700) Image search: [Google]
1401585633337.jpg
81 KB, 533x700
>>53545771
>>
>>53545703
Not a language.

Noob.
>>
File: 30303318.jpg (98 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
30303318.jpg
98 KB, 400x400
>>53545773
>>
File: monopoly.jpg (106 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.jpg
106 KB, 960x640
>>53545661
put everything in userspace
>>
Interesting alternative Operating Systems:

Redox - written in Rust
http://www.redox-os.org/

MenuetOS - written in Assembly
http://www.menuetos.net/

GNU
neverwillbefinished :(

You know, from time to time it's good to leave Linux/BSD/Solaris/Windows/Mac behind a lttle, and try something new.
>>
>>53545797
defending poo in loos
>>>/int/
>>
>>53545661
i'll write the kernel in javascript
>>
>>53545789
sry i meant brainfuck not mindfuck
>>
>>53545899
You think it can't be done?
https://github.com/charliesome/jsos
>>
Nah, why don't we just go get colonel's instead
>>
>>53545661
If you want to do something fun, which a project should be, use rust.
>>
It's decided. I'll use rust.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll create the assembly part, which call a rust function, but as I have no experience in rust, I'll need someone's assistance in the beginning.
>>
>>53545661
1: Common Lisp
2: Everything should be in the userspace, except the clisp VM which is in kernelspace
3: IBM GPFS
4: GNU/Lispux
>>
>>53545757
>640x480
Wow look at this graphicfag over here.

We need 80x60 teleterminals and that's it. Anything higher is basically >>>/v/ tier.
>>
>>53545991
Rust compiles to native code F A M I L Y
>>
>>53545661
>developing for x86
>>
>>53545826
I'd just like to interject for a moment. what you're refering to as GNU, is in fact, GNU/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus GNU. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by FSF.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called GNU, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNU added, or GNU/GNU. All the so-called GNU distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNU!
>>
>>53545954
>>53546074
filedropper dot com
slash 4chang-os-testtar

Well, that's the basis.
>>
>>53545661
>what programming language should we use?
not sure what to write the kernel in if thats what you mean but i think the natively supported languages should be: C, C++, python, ruby, awk, lua, bash, php and go,
>what should be in the kernel and what hsould be used in the userspace

everything in userspace i guess

>what should be the recommended filesystem
zfs

>name it
hyperion OS
>>
I'd just like to GNU for a moment. what you're GNU'ing to as GNU, is in fact, GNU/GNU, or as I've recently GNU to GNU'ing it, GNU plus GNU. GNU is not an GNU system unto itself, but rather another GNU component of a fully GNU'ing GNU system made GNUseful by the GNU corelibs, shell GNUtilities and vital GNU components GNU'ing a full OS as defined by GNU.
Many GNU users run a GNUified version of the GNU system every GNU, without realiziGNU. Through a peGNUliar turn of GNUs, the version of GNU which is GNUly GNUsed today is often GNUed GNU, and many of its GNUsers are not aware that it is GNUsically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a GNU, and these people are GNUsing it, but it is just a GNU of the system they GNUse. GNU is the GNU: the proGNU in the system that GNUs the GNU's resources to the other proGNUs that you GNU. The kernel is an essential GNU of an GNU system, but GNUseless by itself; it can only function in the GNU of a complete GNU system. GNU is normally GNUsed in combination with the GNU GNU system: the whole system is basically GNU with GNU added, or GNU/GNU. All the GNU-called GNU distributions are really distributions of GNU/GNU!
>>
>>53546120
>>53546242
>>
Why does nobody build an OS on top of UEFI? That even supports network adapters nowadays. You wouldn't have to write your own drivers.
>>
>>53546328
>An entire OS in ring 1
This seems like a terrible idea.
>>
Software running in Ring 0 is an agent of the patriarchy. It is inherently privileged and tries to restrict other, less privileged applications' access to the hardware. In modern operating systems, applications aren't even allowed to access the physical ram but have to ask the white, middle class MMU (The "M" stands for "Male") to do it for them. Can't you see that this hurts the Ring 0 software as well?

Ring 3 software is instead required to ask the "strong software" running in ring 0 indirectly via system calls - this is not acceptable in 2016 and encourages violence against women.

I think that this is very problematic. This Ring3gony MUST STOP. I sexually identify as a memory leaking fizzbuzz implementation in PHP running in userspace, so this violent hatred for Ring 3 programs is giving me post-traumatic stress disorder. Please stop.
>>
Everything in the kernel - userspace is the kernel.
>>
>>53546074
you still have to do the initialization in assembler my java friend.
>>
>>53545661
>We will target x86-64
dropped
>>
>>53546328
Once I learn Forth and read up on some shit I'm going to try building an OS on top of Open Firmware
>>
How does software even decide in which ring it starts?
What even happens when software gets launched? I just thought that the kernel loads the code into memory and jumps to the entry point.

I know that less privileged software can give control back to the kernel via interrupts, but how does it work otherwise?
>>
File: dNVvntX.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
dNVvntX.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>53545661
>[current year]
>giving some software privileges over others

It's obvious you need to rethink your OS shitlord.
>>
>>53545661
4) /g/aybOS
>>
>>53546484
These decision is made by CPU hardware. There is no magic, just hardware state machines. You could google Intel data sheets if you are interested in that
>>
>>53546242
Top kek
>>
MINIX3 already has the best kernel, it's over.
>>
>>53545661
write it in D and target powerPC

default file system should be ext4

call it
PowerPC
EXT4
D
Operating
System
>>
InaneOS.
>>
>>53545661
let's make lisp machines great again.
implement 4 rings of privileges correctly, and the filesystem has to be btrfs - when it's finished.
Also: the OS has to integrate RBAC natively (because fuck UNIX ACLs), and btrfs should be patched accordingly.
Furthermore, there has to be a way to start different types of processes, not only the POSIX-compatible ones. For example: ordinary processes and light processes which could be useful to parallelize tasks without being too much performance-heavy. This way more failsafe applications may be made, following either the erlang's BEAM actor model, or the lisps native concurrency, which is also not bad.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.