[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google raises bounty to $100,000 for hacking its Chromebook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 56ea4e98c36188d1678b458a.jpg (52 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
56ea4e98c36188d1678b458a.jpg
52 KB, 900x500
>Google has doubled its “jackpot” for any hacker who can crack one of its Chromebooks. The top prize now stands at $100,000 after no one managed to successfully hack the laptops the last round.

>The winner will have to compromise a Chromebook or Chromebox in guest mode with device persistence. In other words, to grab the reward, a hacker must crack a Chromebook while it is in a locked-down state and it should remain hacked after a reboot.

>The tech giant added a “download protection bypass bounty” for anyone who uncovers ways to skirt Chrome’s Safe Browsing download protection features.

https://www.rt.com/usa/335987-google-chromebook-hackers-award/
>>
I'd buy a $5 wrench and keep the $99995 left.
>>
>>53544855
>quick buy our chromebook for a chance at 100k
>>
>>53544855
sounds like they don't trust their own system,

$100,000 is peanuts to google
>>
They should make it $1m. Create buzz and get the security they want.
>>
>>53546791
Would you? It's seems stupid but it works, pay to get your system compromised but at least you know what you need to improve. Besides $100K won't even make dent in their wallets
>>
Amazing. If you lock down a computer so it's just a web browser and then put it in an even more locked down guest mode, it's hard to break into! I'm shocked. I would never have imagined that removing all power and versatility from a system would let you make it more secure.

I just made a computer that I call a RockBook. It's actually just a rock. It may be even less powerful and versatile than a ChromeBook, but I bet you a billion dollars you can't hack it!
>>
>>53547319
/thread
>>
The solution is simple.

Visit Google.com, then compromise google instead.
>>
>>53544855
Does anyone else think they might be trying to spark a bidding war with would-be exploit consumers?

If you found an exploit and were looking to cash in on it, and Google was paying $100k compared the black market/intelligence community price would be ~$1-7.5k, wouldn't you go with Google's offer instead? That's one less exploit on the market, and one more exploit patched; all costing Google some pocket change.
>>
>>53547502
>~$1-7.5k

you;re selling to the wrong people
>>
>>53547515
Is the demand for CHROMEBOOK-SPECIFIC exploits actually higher than 7.5k USD? I haven't even seen anyone using a chromebook being since that matte grey developer/pilot model.

What would a more realistic market price be?
>>
>>53547502
>the black market/intelligence community price would be ~$1-7.5k
That depends on the exploit. A serious exploit for a major product could be over ten times that.

But we're talking about ChromeBooks here. They aren't very popular and they aren't used for serious work.
>>
>>53546805
I don't think it would really attract that much more attention though. It'd be the same hackers at 100k and 1M.
>>
>>53547391
>>53544891
>>53546791
Fucking kids.

Remember the good old days when 4chan had an age limit?
>>
>>53547628
>autism this strong
>>
>>53548097
>5 rupees have been deposited into your Microsoft account
>>
>>53548107
A U T I S M
>>
How hard would this be actually? That seems like a lot of money to offer for something most people would do in their spare time for free.
>>
>>53547628

Its always funny yet annoying when I see a typical 'I've been here for 1.5 years I'm an oldfag now!' faggot think he's people's grandparent. Fuck off.
>>
>>53548182
why don't you take a year off and try to do it and report back to us
>>
File: AidsSkrillex.png (588 KB, 511x655) Image search: [Google]
AidsSkrillex.png
588 KB, 511x655
>>53546711
>>
>>53547319
Maybe not but I could definitely crack it
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.