[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Node.meme pls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Can we talk about node.js? I always thought it was a meme until my new roommate moved in. He jizzes himself anytime someone mentions js.
I don't want to get into how this guy is annoying, bc he's a really positive nice guy. But God dammit web and node and js are the future and everything is going to be some web thing this or that. Everyone is going to know how to do web blah blah. Anyway

Can some real professionals give input on some of the pros and cons of node? I'd just like to hear from someone that doesn't need a shower every time the topic comes up.
>>
>inb4 "JavaScript syntax sucks"
Tell me why it sucks faggot

>Inb4 "install Gentoo"
>>
Context. I studied math and engineering before getting a job where I was going to do data admin/analysis. But that was a bait and switch to become a Python web dev for a few years. So I know about web technologies some what.
>>
>>53537344
there is nothing on this earth I would not sacrifice to see that chick naked. It's such a shame she'll never do it.
>>
>>53537344

There aren't many cons really. But you can say the same about a lot of shit. Besides software is only as good as the author's creation. What one can do in Node, one can also do in PHP, or even Visual Basic if the mood takes them.

If there are any cons to Javascript right now though, it's the culture. Plenty of loud voices leading people to believe in ideas that are occasionally quite stupid... Like Gulp (study NPM long and hard before considering it, or anything like it), Coffeescript (seriously, why?), React (oh yes... Rewrite all my HTML in Javascript!!? What a stupid idea), Mongo, etc. So many bloated/flawed fads. But JS itself is an excellent language for UI development and quite a few other things.

Parallel processing and concurrency is tough though. But I wouldn't use Java or Python for any of that crap either.
>>
Django masterrace
>>
>>53537504

So right after he moved in he was using angular and then swapped to react. Has spent the last month talking about how damn amazing it is. I just. Why? He says all this stuff about adding classes to shit and refreshing parts of the Dom cleverly. Why don't you use jquery? Whatever it just seems dumb.
>>
>>53537569

We used Flask, sqlalchemy, Jinja 2. Oh and a 15 MB phone number validation library.
>>
JavaScript is the most universal language for modern devices. It has great design and extendability.

Node.js is shit and ruined what makes JS great, hipsters love it because it limits the language to a standard. That their idiotic minds can handle, yes I hate node.js if you couldn't tell.

Yes I am a professional.
>>
>>53537621
How did node ruin js? What did they put in it to make it so shit?
>>
>>53537621
>It has great design and extendability.
no it doesn't
>>
>>53537685

Yes it does. That's why you're adding a JSON parser to your POM file... Kappa
>>
>>53537621
...what?

I like to do most of my fiddling around using node. I've written an IRC client, mail server, web scrapers, and basic json APIs among other things. I also do front end development at work so it suits me that I can use the same language everywhere. The standard library covers a lot of my basic needs so I don't have to rely on too many 3rd party libs. Functional JS also looks very nice if written correctly.
>>
File: 1449905247303.jpg (14 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1449905247303.jpg
14 KB, 255x255
>>
>>53537733
How is this bait? How is this even trolling! I just asked why people think it's so terrible when we have so many hipster-types that love it.
>>
>>53537597
>15mb
How? Does it send a text message or something?
>>
>>53537784
I'm not sure. I mean i know it didnt send a text. I just remember that we would get a phone number from a form and run it through the library. Worked really well but I always thought that was silly.
>>
>>53537344
>Can some real professionals give input on some of the pros and cons of node?
This is what happens when you let idiot millenials, uneducated about computers, make technological choices. You get something that certainly is simple, and straightforward, and comfy. And that's great, but it comes at the severe cost of performance.

>but JS is fast!
Sure is, when your phone has a quad core, 2GB RAM and a 10,000 mAh battery. But the purely functional aspect of whatever you are doing could be achieved by a Game Boy, given a sufficiently optimized software.

>waaah an iphone only costs $600, better than a shitty gameboy hahaha
But then, if you put a little more effort, you would get just as comfortable using any other decent language, and you'd get a thousand times the performance.

>but muh memes!
Because that's what it truly is: a meme.

Everytime a new technology is launched, before people even think about adopting it, there are hordes of people who know they can make more money off teaching people, pushing them to use it, and selling them third party tools associated wtih it, than actually learning it and working with it. So as soon as a new technology seems vaguely popular, you notice a huge push towards it, not born out of a smart idea, but simply because it's a way many companies make money, and then suddenly eveyrone is like "wow there are all sorts of books, lessons and projects about it, maybe it's good!"

And meme magic causes something that should have been ignored into the next big thing. Truth is, it's just another cancer on top of the stack of shitty technologies the modern world rests on. Can't wait to see it all crushing under its own weight, and witness normies' realization that all their computer needs can be filled in by a fucking $5 slc.
>>
>>53537621

Absolutely right. The language itself is great. You can describe entities so flexibly. It's a big plus for the language. Unfortunately though, what most of the 'frameworks' do, is reduce that capacity for expression, adulterating the language with a deluge of symbols that are either unnecessary to you, or very badly abstracted. Angular is the posterboy for all that's bad about JS frameworks, but with JSX, React might actually be far worse. Doesn't stop everyone from thinking it's the next big thing though.
>>
>>53537969
What's a $5 SLC? Like an fpga or something?

And why does it matter if it's slow on a Gameboy when everyone has a the $600 dollar iPhone to run it? Don't get me wrong I love optimized code. I hate abstraction on abstraction but it helps deliver a prodcut quicker. Isnt that good?
>>
>>53538028
Meant "SBC", for "single board computer", typo got there.

Regardless, the thing is, we keep buying more and more expensive phones, with less and less battery life, and there is zero improvement, because the software keeps getting worse. We could have phones running at the speed of light, with weeks worth of battery life, and not costing much. Basically, everything would be better. We'd only need to kill every hipster and applefag and the problem would be solved.

As for the speed of delivering a product, that's bullshit, get good coders and they'll get the job done in no time using any language, get shit coders and they won't do the job unless they use their special snowflake favorite framework. And in the end, you pay for it. Always. There's always an issue some day, when nothing works anymore, and you need to pay a fortune to bring experts to analyze the issue, and that'll tell you "you know if you hadn't used this piece of shit technology, it would have never happened".

Some people don't stick to C because that's all they know, they do it because there is a great mastery of this language, which makes it incredibly reliable. Instead, you get people who don't have the shoulders to be coders, developing critical systems using shitty techs, and creating garbage that is impossible to maintain.

It's just a meme, and in 5 years, people will be paid a fortune to sort this shit out.
>>
>>53538127
well said. /thread
>>
>>53537569
Django is SJW framework, kill yourself
>>
>>53538127
So what would the alternative to webdev frameworks be? Just using plain JS?
>>
>>53537344
Node is OK, I often use it. Language flamewars are stupid.
>>
pretext: i do a lot of programming for my job but i am a scientist and not a real programmer (i did do web dev on the side though)

javascript is fast. really fast. it's the fastest interpreted language, as far as i know. and node, while bloated, is also very fast. everything runs a web browser nowadays, so everything also runs javascript. people have written compilers that compile code in other languages to javascript. c++ will run at about 50% speed in javascript. javascript is fucking everywhere and it will be the absolute #1 language for anyone to come for years in the future

i suppose people like node and react (and hell, even json) and all this stuff because it lets them use javascript for virtually everything and that's what they've learned. in my opinion it makes web development more complicated than it needs to be. in my opinion javascript is a really poorly-designed language, when you compare it to other modern web languages, like python or even fucking ruby, the hipster piece of shit that it is.

but it's fast and runs on anything.

why contain it?

as for node itself, it's a fad and people will look back on it in a few years and think 'what the fuck was i doing', sorta like how people look back on tables, PHP and WordPress
>>
>>53539808
What scientific work do you do?

>in my opinion javascript is a really poorly-designed language
You used python as an example of a better designed language. Why is python better designed than js? I ask that specifically only because I've used python quite a bit.
>>
>>53537344
Elly tran ha in case anyone is wondering
:^)
>>
>>53540849
I'd napalm her pho if you get my meaning
>>
I make 130k/yr(USD) writing JS. Either .NET + a framework(usually angular) or Node/framework

There are problems that come with javascript at scale. The number one problem is working with other developers and handing them one of the most dynamic mainstream languages. If you don't enforce a strict style guide/linter the codes gonna look completely different depending on who coded what.

When the project grows past 20k LOC then you start to feel the heat. Development slows down significantly after that, unless you've been extremely thorough with your tests/style guide/planning.

With nothing but best practices(which never happens btw in the real world) you might be able to squeeze out a 50k LOC project, but it will get hairy at the end.

Beyond 50k and you're looking at rewriting some of it in a static language. Probably Go these days or atleast in the near future will be the goto(no pun intended).

So my suggestions

If you're some /g/ neckbeard who doesnt even develop anything significant in his freetime or program for a living then you're a faggot.

If you work in some other language and shit on JS you're probably a faggot.

If you recognize that node is great for prototyping and that with careful planning and strict practices you can make great apps in a fraction of the time then you're not a faggot.

If you're debating on using node for some giant enterprise software bullshit then you're a faggot.

Can we all progress as a people and recognize that these things are useful in some cases but flawed in others.

Also node isn't going away. If anything it will explode in popularity thanks to web assembly. It's just that you wont write in javascript anymore
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.