[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here know the brand names/serial numbers of the parts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 470x313
Anyone here know the brand names/serial numbers of the parts in the pi-top so I can build one cheaply, or are they unique to the device? I know I can get the 3d print files easily for the case. 300USD plus postage is far too much money for what they are selling, you can buy a chromebook cheaper than that.
>>
Hmm, I could use that trackpad if it can be acquired standalone
>>
If that thing is a small production run, the price isn't so bad. The profit margin is likely slimmer than you think.

Also, why do people insist on using the pi as a personal computer? Cheap laptop = used thinkpads; arm development = smartphone. The pi is just a powerful dev board.
>>
>>53532971
everyone has a boner for the pi, they try to use it for everything. There are a bunch of laptop and game console projects. Fine if you're having fun but it seems like a lot of people are trying to make it practical, even though phones and laptops smoke it
>>
>>53532971
My idea is to plug a compute stick into it instead.
>>
>>53532985
It isn't even so much that it's less powerful than a phone, it's that people think they will learn more programming on something like a pi than a normal computer. Don't the producers of it advertise it as an educational thing? I don't get it. The pi is a shitty computer. It is a ridiculously powerful dev board. If people skipped the Debian and focused on the gpio, the thing becomes so much more useful.

Think of everything you can do with an AVR or PIC dev board. Old car ECUs didn't run anything more powerful and they tend to work well. Now take those same 40 pins, jump from 8 bit/sub-1M program memory to a fucking quad core 64bit arm processor. Why is THAT not the amazing thing?

If the most common accessory for the pi wasn't a Bluetooth keyboard, we would have amateur spaceships being made with them.
>>
>>53532985
My fucking faggot friend has like 3 pi that he's trying to use as a torrent box, an emu box, and an HTPC respectively.

He constantly has his SD cards corrupt, IO errors, and 3 fucking exposed PCBs, each with a rat's nest of cables hanging off the back of his tv.

I tell him often that spending $300 on a shitbox pc would let him do all these things in a much more efficient and simple way, but he insists that his way I'd better because it's free and he thinks fucking around with poorly documented software makes him 1337.

Meanwhile, he thinks I'm a pleb for using an Amazon Fire with Kodi connected to network shares for my HTPC, and I'm "stupid" using my pc to emulate games with an actual fucking GPU, and it's "not elegant" to torrent on a device that doesn't fucking share its internet bandwidth with the fucking CPU.

God I hate this fucking guy. Every time I talk about a tech problem I have, he starts yakking about how a pi could solve it "with the right tweaks xD"
>>
>>53533131
Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer, others you just need a bigger pi.
>>
>>53533152
What fucking kills me is that with all the money he's spent on Bluetooth dongles, keyboards, joysticks, SD cards, power adapters, hdmi splitters and cables, USB hubs, external hard drives, and enclosures for old laptop drives to use as new externals, he could've just built a purpose-built pc (small form factor, large capacity, emulation tier gpu). He sinks more time into maintaining this shit than he does using it for it's intended purpose.
>>
>>53533236
> friend has hobby
> friend excited about hobby
sounds like a fucking monster
>>
>>53533294
It's like a stereotypical stoner, anon, but replace "have you ever done X while high???" With "have you considered doing X with a Pi???"

It has moved beyond a hobby and entered narrow-minded fixation on doing things ONE WAY.
>>
>300 fucking bucks for this shit netbook
The fuck, you could buy a real netbook/laptop for that. A phone even.
>>
>>53533361
At least he's doing something constructive. Who knows, eventually his way might actually be the best way to do something and you could use his idea.
>>
I used my Pi as a media center for my dad.
Nigger's happy as fuck with it, thinking about upgrading him tot a Pi 3
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.