[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job+Certs+Experience.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: certs.png (25 KB, 912x163) Image search: [Google]
certs.png
25 KB, 912x163
>inb4 "hurr durr have this thread every day"
fuck you its been a few weeks.

Basically state your job, what certifications or experience you needed for that job, and what you think of that job now. Suggestions as to what younger people should to do get those jobs as well, if you have any.

Pic related, current certifications.
What certifications should I get if I wanted a job as a Security/Vulnerability Research Engineer.
>>
LOL NICE """"CERTS""""
>>
>>53525720
Ik theyre shit anon. Hence why I asked which ones I should get. I'm in highschool with shitty part time job. I'm not getting any real ones until I'm out and can start a full time job so I can actually pay for real ones. They were free so why the fuck not.
>>
I had some serious family problems in my life as a student. I never finished highschool and i fell into a devastating depression for years. I'm better now thanks to having received some help but i'm 25 and there's a big hole that i have no idea how to fill. A friend of mine said he could land me a job if i had A+ and N+. Already got the first one and i've got my exam for N+ next month. Any suggestions that could help a poor man with dysthymia?
>>
>>53525761
oh, in that case, right on.

just get ccna and a microsoft cert, msce or msca or whatever the fuck they call it now a days.

add to that a linux and a security cert and you'd be lookin' good. i suggest getting a job after the first 1-2 certs though, apparently employers look down on overqualified people with no experience.
>>
>>53525691
and you aren't gonna get into malware research without either a degree or experience. there was a guy who posted here years ago, had a tripcode and went by the name 'reverse,' you can probably find his threads in the archives. read his threads and follow his advice, he's in the exact position you want to be in.

honestly though, if that's actually your goal, start learning everything there is to C and x86 asm. otherwise you will get nowhere in that field.
>>
>>53525778
what kind of hole?
>>
>>53525691

Certs are worthless. Experience is what matters. Do the reading and experiment on your own.
>>
>>53525840
No experience and no knowledge about anything except what i've learned for the certs i need. What if i cannot get this job and i have to look for it by myself? What do i say to my employer?
>>
>>53525894
You haven't had a job since highschool? If that's the case the only thing that's going to save your ass is lying.

That or, y'know, get a job.
>>
>>53525894
your only hope is through your connections
>>
>>53525829
ill look into him. i have some experience with both. are AWE and OSEE certs from offsec worth shit? i know about half the information from both
>>
>>53526019
Then what do i do if i can't get a job through my friend? Should i volunteer to work for free in some places for a year and put that in my cv? Please i need help.
>>
>>53526069
only security certs that are worth their shit, according to what I've read, are CEH and CISSP, both of which are fucking hard to acquire and take years of experience, most notably the CISSP.
>>
>>53525961
no the american education system is shit, all based on work. im lazy and still in highschool, with a part time job.
>>
This >>53526111 guy is not me >>53525894
>>
File: 1231245.jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1231245.jpg
17 KB, 460x276
>>53525691
>its been a few weeks
literally hours ago

Why do you care anyway? Go fuck yourself OP.
>>
>>53525761
You are an excuse maker. So get a job where you can make a bunch of excuses and get paid like a fucking peasant.
>>
>>53525691
>state your job, what certifications or experience you needed for that job, and what you think of that job now
PhD student
No certs, but required an MSc (I also had industry experience which put me ahead of other candidates)
I'm very okay with my job. The pay is shit, but I get a lot of benefits (lol state employed), get to travel a _lot_ and I also get to do stuff I find interesting.
>>
>>53525761
>I'm in highschool
mods
>>
>>53525691
Job: shit poster
Cert: TCSP (Trump Certified Shit Poster)
Exp: 4+ years
>>
>>53526262
So there is a education restriction now? You should probably fuck off too then.
>>
File: IMAG0856.jpg (369 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0856.jpg
369 KB, 1440x810
Network engineer
Straight outta highschool, two years of training at lower pay while getting certs in telecommunications and network engineering on the job, 21 now after a year of permanent employment after training.
It's good because it pays well and is comfy as. Heaps of perks and I'm left alone by management 90% of the time to get the work done as I see fit.
Pic related, desk I'm posting from atm.
>>
>>53527435
So you consider yourself an "engineer" without going to university?
>>
>>53527473
Well, seeing as engineering is in my title, and there's nothing in the definition of engineer that has to do with higher education... Yes. Yes I do.
>>
>>53527435
Looks fun
>>
>>53527575
It's pretty good. Lots of freedom to do whatever I want so long as I get things done.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.