[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So has anyone on /g/ developed or attempted to develop an emulator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1456804876223.jpg (322 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456804876223.jpg
322 KB, 1280x720
So has anyone on /g/ developed or attempted to develop an emulator before? I've been meaning to start on one now, but don't really know where to begin.
>>
>>53522366
Do you know assembly language for the platform you want to emulate?
>>
>>53522391
I've downloaded a manual for it, I've been reading through it, wouldn't say I know it yet though

Was thinking about tackling the Gameboy
>>
>>53522416
Do you have any idea how a CPU works?
Because you're trying to emulate one in software.
>>
>>53522434
I have a vague idea from a course I took in school, but I guess not.
>>
make a saya anime emulator ^^
>>
>>53522492
M8
This is not entry-level java course shit.

I suggest you lay off your pipe dreams of playing free games and being the super cool l33t hax0rz emulator for a time and actually hit the books.

Learn about x86 architecture, how CPU and it's different components work, what are registers and ALU, what is a heap and stack, how the cache works, what's the mobo's job in the PC, what it means to render an image, what is virtualization and software emulation in practice, what hardware does the desired device have and how it functions.

This is not a simple thing, emulation is one of the harder challenges software engineering offers.
>>
>>53522620
I appreciate the suggestions, but it wasn't about playing "free games". There already a metric fuck ton of emulators to use for that. It was a matter of getting a better understanding of how shit worked.

I'll take a look at it though
>>
I FUCKING LOVE SAYA
>>
>>53522366
I co-developed a PS4 emulator with a team in Latvia. We are done with it months ago, but are too scared of lawsuits to release it.
>>
Start with the basics. Gameboy uses a simple chip (Zilog Z-80) and those are fairly simple, but you should start with something even easier, like CHIP-8. Some links to get you started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip-8
http://www.codeslinger.co.uk/pages/projects/chip8.html
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Creating_a_Virtual_Machine
>>
>>53522620
He wants to learn through hands on approach. Which includes trial and error. Quit acting like you're superior and help the motherfucker you whiny bitch.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.