[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Rage at windows updates >Have enough, start downloading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: the_risk.jpg (62 KB, 554x390) Image search: [Google]
the_risk.jpg
62 KB, 554x390
>Rage at windows updates
>Have enough, start downloading distros
>Try 9 distros, Ubuntu appears to work the best
>Reformat entire drive to force me to give Linux a fair shot
>Mouse is tiny in 4k, Google and solve that issue
>Team speak won't install, Google and figure out how .run files work
>Steam won't install, 5 separate errors, spend a whole day troubleshooting
>Install Nvidia drivers
>Black screen on boot
>Try 5 different versions, with 3 different installation methods
>Find a winning combination
>Can now output at 60hz on lower resolutions (48hz was a limitation of Windows Intel drivers on my laptop)
>Try CS go with optirun
>FPS is all over the place, and capped at 48hz with vsync
>Google how to disable system wide vsync for 2 days with no solution
>Cut my losses again and just uninstall CS go
>Try to fix the horrible ui lag
>No solutions
>Cut more losses
>Try to watch TV through xfinity
>Doesn't work in chrome, ff, chromium
>troubleshoot for another day
>Install windows before gf wanted to watch TV
>Shit is up and running in 15 minutes

And this is why Linux will never be popular. Why spend days troubleshooting when there is something that works so much better? Linux is not an alternative to windows. A lot of people don't have time to Google something an entire day to get the is to do the simplist tasks.
>>
>>53520634
[A Google+ linked 4chan gold account is required to read this post.]
>>
>>53520634
You wouldn't have this problem if you used the tested driver.
Teamspeak is in the official repositories
You should have installed the steam runtime
>>
>>53520703
>>>53520634 (OP)
>You wouldn't have this problem if you used the tested driver.
>Teamspeak is in the official repositories
>You should have installed the steam runtime

I tried multiple tested drivers

An older version, either way that wasn't the only run file I encountered

I did

Also, another problem I had was that spotify was incredibly laggy. No hardware acceleration at all.
>>
>Linux
>2016
Install Windows 10 pls
>>
>>53520634
>>53520736
>gayming
>steam
>spotify
>teamspeak
>chrome

Windows is the OS for people like you friend, I highly recommend you stick with it. You won't find what you need on Linux and you should think long and hard about why that is.
>>
>>53520826
Because Linux sucks? These are minor treats any person should have ease of access to. If the Linux community wants more people to adopt Linux don't make the user compromise, simple.
>>
>>53520826
I like things that are convient?
>>
>>53520634
OP are you a payed shill? This is the second post of this I've seen in the past 30 min.
>>
>>53520634
you are just retarded
>>
YMMV, i've never had any of the issues you're talking about. i always see people on this board who say things like 'i booted into linux, x didn't work, y wouldn't install, z crashed' and they've literally always worked first time for me with no problems

it's even worked with all of my weird\obscure hardware, like my no-brand chinese laptop, or my discount laser printer, with no configuration necessary. and i've done crazy things like installing (not making a liveUSB, installing the entire OS) on a USB drive, imaging the USB drive, using the USB in a different computer etc and it works fine with zero issues

hell, i can't remember the last time an application crashed in linux. i mean, on my windows PC, skype crashed 3 times TODAY at pure random

it's very strange indeed
>>
>>53521675
Well meme'd, friendo.
>>
>>53521675
I've had both situations. With my weird hardware it works a treat. I made a janky server with dual P3s, WTF-tier SCSI RAID cards and whatnot, and it ran fine too. I had to boot the damn thing with a floppy disk. A floppy. Friend's ayylienware with Optimus graphics? No external monitor support on the HDMI. Can't figure it out. Most infuriatingly, whenever you turn on the TV, the display settings for XFCE pops up, but the TV isn't there. It sees it, if only for a second. So, the Linux YMMV is real.
>>
>>53520703
>you should do this, this and this, not just that.
Windows installs using one file. 99% of the population doesn't even know what the fuck repositories are.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.