[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Void Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: void-installer.png (5 KB, 713x383) Image search: [Google]
void-installer.png
5 KB, 713x383
I saw someone posting in the desktop thread, and did some reading on it. What's the main appeal? runnit and ports tree?

Anyone here running it?
>>
>>53513627
>What's the main appeal?

non-systemd (runit)
xbps package manager
rolling release

I ran it for a while but sometimes it didn't even started the graphical display (don't know if it was due to cinnamon or general)
>>
File: 1406254953158.jpg (15 KB, 411x310) Image search: [Google]
1406254953158.jpg
15 KB, 411x310
>>53513720
All right, I'll have to try it out. Run minimal arch, so shouldn't be that different.
>>
>>53513915
It has a graphical installer
>>
I wnnt to try it especially since remix wont boot at all cause my computer hates unetbootin tried it in a vm and it seems fine other than having to installl moat of it manually
>>
>heard about it in a desktop thread

Figures!

The appeal in void is laughing at retarded linux users who will use literally any unfinished, amateur, sh-driven crap just to stay away from the systemd boogeyman while using and even praising equally bloated non-traditional/non-unixy nonsense like udev (and coughgnucough) all the while.

Fun game to play: Find someone who complains about bloat and cites too much/spaghetti code as a major factor in instability and insecurity. Ask them if they use vim. If yes, link them to a list of vim's CVEs over the years and its horrifying codebase. Double funny - when they use emacs.

As added hilarity, their ports tree, the place where it's hosted included, makes crux look like a professional undertaking and gentoo look like it's backed by a fucking nation state. Literally homebrew (macfag) tier. Though more respectable than arch for actually putting effort into following the same interpretation of the same philosophy instead of caving to redhat (they even forked gnome), void is still a laughable failure. It's a toy distro.

TLDR: What you are referring to as Void Linux is, in fact, Void "of any value" Linux, or as i've taken to calling it "an endless" Void "like the typical user's bloated anus" Linux
>>
I use it on my laptop.
If you like the Arch philosophy and are disappointed by the fact that Arch barely follows it anymore then you'll probably love Void.

Runit is amazing
xbps is a great package manager, ports is comfy. You can build any package from source, Infinality is just a case of rebuilding font-config with the patches enabled.
The installer is good, does everything you need without wasting your time. Manual install a-la Arch is possible if you need encryption or some other customised setup.
The base repository is all free-software, you can enable other repos by installing a package. The repo included a lot of software that appeals to me personally like Icecat, which is quite annoying to install on Arch.

>>53515009
Void includes BSD versions of some coreutils if GNU is your problem, though it's not mine. It also used Gentoo's eudev rather than udev.
>>
>>53515207
Eudev isn't a step up from udev, it's udev. Udev is the least UNIX thing to happen to linux in a while, besides the kernel itself and the rest of freedesktop's software.

Just use openBSD. Using hypocrisynix will only out you as a poser retard who derives their self esteem from running fdisk once and writing an fstab.
>>
>>53515258
I'm aware that the split between udev and eudev is entirely political, I was just making the point that Void does make some effort to pull away from fd.org shit.

I already use openBSD on my toy server, It's great, but I don't think it's entirely suitable to be a desktop system, which is why I use Linux on my personal computers.
>>
>>53515009
t. macfag
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-15_20-12-15.png (60 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-15_20-12-15.png
60 KB, 1280x800
Was it mine that you saw?

I just got it because I read about it and I wanted to try it.
>>
File: IMG_1275.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1275.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>53516747
>>
>>53519113
Leave it up to mac fags to have the dirtiest screens
>>
>>53513627
Why not just use Slackware?
>>
>>53517926
What wm u got?
>>
>>53519892
It's just XFCE ^^ You can see it on my screenfetch there.
>>
>>53519113

>having to run a fucking terminal command to take a screenshot
>i mean really
>>
>>53513720
This is a cinnamon problem. Something in the cinnamon install that you can get from most places doesnt play well with most laptops, specifically anything with dell hardware in it.
>>
Devs are stupid asses
>complain about missing file package
>fixed
>complain about another missing file with same name in package
>lazy dev refers to previous commit and doesn't fix anything while closing the issue

Also
>install pkg
>uninstall pkg
>/bin folder is now fucked up and I can't execute anything
>>
>>53519140
Macfags have the dirtiest screens, but thinkpad fags have the slimiest keyboards.

With your powers combined, I am captain fucking disgusting.

Dell users are cool though
>>
>>53513627
It's basically Arch without systemd and AUR
So pretty much a shitty Slackware
>>
>>53519113
You took a screenshot but after that you decided to take a photo of the screen to post it instead just to show you have an apple computer. End yourself.
>>
>>53519140
This is true, I would be the first to admit my rMPBs screen is disgusting.
Not as bad as my thinkpad keyboard though, that shit is shiny as fuck.
>>
>>53513627
Im running it, It has served me well so far. Repos are good, though sometimes a little limited.
>>
>>53519892
what rings u got bitch?`
>>53515334
>>53515258
what do you think of mdev? I once tried to get it working under Arch, but failed.
>>53520611
>>>mlp
>>53522945
I'd use it as my main distro immediately if it would be comparable to Arch in terms of precompiled packages
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.