[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This might be the end for me, going blind and programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 1379262184430.jpg (273 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1379262184430.jpg
273 KB, 1280x960
I was just diagnosed with an incurable disease that over the course of the next year will render me completely blind
I'm a programmer
what options exist for me to continue programming, or should I just an hero now while I can still do what I love
>>
>>53513315
Giving up is an option,anon.
>>
Time to end it I guess
>>
>>53513315
Go out with a bang
Shoot up a Republican rally or a school
>>
>>53513315
Adapted keyboard and software that reads for you and gives sound signals. Configure it and get used to as long as you see.
>>
>>53513315
You have one year to code the best damn thing of your whole life.
>>
>>53513315
learn to use accessability aids? Even bone stock windows xp had the shit that read what was on the screen to you.
>>
Begin using narrator and learn to use a computer like blind people do.

if you are willing to give up you must not really care about doing it in the first place
>>
>>53513387
this. make the world proud

>4chan hacker programs X that did X, the most monumental task in hisrtory. he worked so hard he went blind
>>
Learn to shitpost by ear.
Every key on a keyboard has its own unique sound so after a while you will learn to hear if you typed right or not, and there are software that will read back what is on the screen for you.
>>
>>53513315
social security benefit up and become a neet
>>
>>53513315
What disease?
>>
Write a program over the next year that will allow you to program without your eyes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refreshable_braille_display
>>
>>53513556
He jerks off too much.
>>
>>53513586
Ah, tuberculosis
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bAa6gFvLs

>>53513578
>>
write a program that programs for you Op. enjoy your legacy
>>
>>53513609
also learn how to touch type
>>
>>53513478
imagine if all it took to get a functional HURD was a soon-to-be-blind dev join the effort.
>>
step one >get gud
step two >memorize your keyboard COMPLETELY
step three >never make any more coding mistakes ever

alternate option: do the above but also have a friend or whatever read back you code to you, then you'll know if you made mistakes.
>>
File: crabby_feel.png (78 KB, 452x676) Image search: [Google]
crabby_feel.png
78 KB, 452x676
>>53513315
Shiet anon ;_;
>>
>>53513315
http://itsfoss.com/ali-miracle-interview/
>>
>>53513315
Look into JAWS and Orca, you can get a braille display too and learn braille. My old co worker was blind and he had no problem using a computer. There's was a guy taking CS with me who was blind too, just used accessibility shit. You can even use a smartphone and stuff still.

Sucks man, but you can still be a programmer, hell you can even still lurk /g/ and shitpost.
>>
>>53513315
This is one of my greatest fears.

I wish the faggot who owns that truck had it instead of you, but like others said start working on programs that will let you keep working when you do lose your sight. Good luck senpai.
>>
Since you program a lot you can probably type blind anyway. Just take a text to voice service and tweak it now. If you want further applications work on something fancier like sword art online level VR
>>
>>53514500
I definitely cannot program blind. I heavily rely on being able to see the entire scope of classes/functions/everything else especially for error correction.
Programming isn't like writing, it's not linear.
>>
>>53513315
Considering the Margolin .22 target pistol that the Russians used (and possibly still use) at the Olympics was designed by a blind man, I'm sure you can work something out. Don't give up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MCM_pistol
>>
>>53514658
Save 100k, buy a http://www.nature.com/news/fda-approves-first-retinal-implant-1.12439
>>
my group just hired a blind programmer.
i don't know how his system works but there's audio options.
>>
>>53513518
>Needing to look at the keyboard while typing, blind or not.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.