[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how necessary is a DAC for a proper audio set up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: lead-audio-dac-la-100.jpg (11 KB, 450x302) Image search: [Google]
lead-audio-dac-la-100.jpg
11 KB, 450x302
would you consider a DAC completely necessary or is it normally just pointless?
>>
meme tier
>>
>>53511340
get a DAc is you can hear noises that aren't supposed to be there or hear colouring in your audio
>>
>>53511340
A DAC is necessary any time you want a digital computer to output an audio signal.
>>
>>53513118
/thread
>>
>>53511340
An external DAC is good if your onboard is damaged, or shitty, ie: picking up static or some other such nonsense.

I use a schiit, and it does it's job well.
>>
>>53512222
>hear colouring

Don't allot of higher end headphones require a DAC? I know my phone can't really handle my headphones, sounds like absolute garbage when the volume gets turned up. Plug same headphones into pc and it's crystal clear even when cranked to ' will make your ears ring' level.
>>
>>53513412
are you thinking of amps
>>
>>53513718
Your right. Fuck me.
>>
>>53511340
I got a fiio e17k and i have noticed a huge difference.. Plus having the benefit of having an eq and being able to drive my headphone properly and loud. good bang for the buck, and its portable.
>>
>>53514334
>Your
Your headphones

>You're
>You are
You're right
>>
>>53513370
>An external DAC is good if your onboard is damaged, or shitty, ie: picking up static or some other such nonsense.
Pretty much this. If your onboard is fine, THEN IT'S FINE.

However a lot of onboard DACs are pretty junk, especially on laptops. My last laptop you could actually tell if I plugged in the power adapter through the headphones. Running purely off of battery it was... mediocre. Plug in the adapter and it was static everywhere.
>>
Personally it won't change the quality per say. You need to first look at better headphones then go for a dac amp combo or dac depending on how the headphones need to be driven. My dac and tube amp setup make headphones sound noticeably better. And provide the difference between listening and experiencing music. It's worth it IMO. Spend no more than 70$
>>
>>53514851
huh, i just tried something out. using a tone generator i plugged my power in and played a tone of 22khz. nothing

i unplugged it and played the same tone and got a really nasty sound.

same for 20khz

interesting
>>
Whats a good and cheap chinese DAC to buy on sites like aliexpress or gearbest?
>>
>>53511340
You already have one. As for discrete units, only if you need features or there's a problem with the one you have now.
>>
>>53517200
If you're taking the chinkshit route, just save your money and stick with onboard
>>
You can get an ODAC if you want to spend a few hundred. Buying anything more expensive than the ODAC is placebotier.
>>
Want to get HD 700 several months from now as I'll likely be stuck renting in apartments. Unless I can find a duplex, it's unlikely I'll own a regular surround sound system.

Does anyone know if a FiiO E10K USB DAC would be a good idea with it? What makes things complicated is I've grown rather fond of my Earforce DSS (Dolby headphone surround device). I wonder if I could use both. The DSS works by optical going in, detects DD signal, surround out through headphone jack.
>>
its absolutely necessary if you plan to use nice headphones or monitors
>>
>>53517337
>doesn't know the joys of owning a multibit dac
>>
>>53517337
ODAC is really high quality but extremely barebones.

>>53517493
You have to try harder.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.