[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm swapping an r9 280 for a i7 Mac mini tomorrow. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I'm swapping an r9 280 for a i7 Mac mini tomorrow. What does /g/ recommend me to do/install on the mac? I'm thinking on dualbooting Linux
>>
Honestly, for the price I'd rather just get an intel nuc and hackintosh it.
>>
>>53509954
Literally why? You should really consider buying a decent notebook instead. Why purpose is an i7 when you have no dedicated graphics? This product is a scam.
>>
>>53510478
what purpose*
>>
>>53510478
Because I am literally swapping my old graphics card for it. I could always sell it and get a notebook though. Also, the mac is off my friend so its all legit and everything as he's got the box and all that applecare shit
>>
>>53510478
>Why purpose is an i7 when you have no dedicated graphics?
Go back to /v/
>>
>>53509954
>mac mini
FULL RETARD
If it's not a MBP, it's not worth it.
>>
>>53509954
install gentoo, obviously.
>>
>>53510436
Why?
>>
>>53511374
Because it's cheaper
>>
>>53509954
Autism level OVER 9000
>>
File: u8RVksz.jpg (78 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
u8RVksz.jpg
78 KB, 604x604
>>53509954
>media center meme desktop
>>
>>53509954

why the hell would you put linux on it? its already running unix, you dont need a flaky knockoff version as well!
>>
>>53509954
why would you need linux when you already have a full unix system?

you will fall in love with os x, i did and i cry because i cant afford one
>>
Coda, Sublime, xCode, FF, MAMP, Node, Slack, Wireshark, Bittorrent
>>
>>53511374
>>53511471
This sounds like a good idea, but it's not. Everyone goes in thinking a hackintosh can do whatever a real mac can do with "a little work."

No.

There are simply some things that cannot be done, and a ton of shit that is really horrendous.

For instance, if you have ever downloaded a movie through iTunes, it will not play on any system after Ivybridge. This is a known bug any every single hackintosh forum will roast you for asking about it because they assume that you know every thread from the past four years on the subject (it seems like no one is even working on this, so there's generally no new posts about it).

Upgrading to the latest was supposed to be easy with Clover, but in general it breaks most people's machine.

iTunes/iMessage/Facetime/Continuity. It's a bitch to get working, and it can be broken at any time by Apple. Continuity in generally is very hard to get working unless you buy the official m.2 wifi+bt card used in macs (and to get that working you sometimes need an adapter to supply 5V power to it).

And if you do that, good luck getting sleep to work, if it would work in the first place (most people give up on that).

HDMI audio is also pretty painful to get working, although doable in most cases.

So you can keep reasoning away things like, "LOL JUST USE SKYPE" or "LOL JUST TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER," but every thing you add to this pretty fucking large list just makes it more and more ridiculous to have a mac in the first place. If you're not using any of its platform specific features or even a lot of its popular features, why the fuck would you want a hackintosh?
>>
>>53509954
I like how this dude gets all this hate for trading for something worth more...
>>
>>53514310
BTW this is a very short list of things that are likely not going to work on your first or even 10th hackintosh build.

When people say they have a "flawless" hackintosh that works "great" they mean that they deploy a reality distortion bubble and dismiss anything they couldn't actually get working as a feature that magically they don't even want.

It was a great learning experience as I probably know more about the platform than my brother, who owns actual macs, but yeah, definitely not worth the shekels I saved.
>>
>>53511229
To use as a lightweight pc, and for me to learn to code on. I have an actual PC for gaming...
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.