[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>https://archive.is/MTYg8 >Can Computer Programs Be Ra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: ss (2016-03-15 at 02.49.06).png (1 MB, 999x937) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-15 at 02.49.06).png
1 MB, 999x937
>https://archive.is/MTYg8
>Can Computer Programs Be Racist And Sexist?

>Last summer, Jacky Alciné learned just how biased computers can be. Alciné, who is African-American, took a bunch of pictures with friends at a concert. Later he loaded them into Google Photos, which stores and automatically organizes images.
>Google's software is able to group together pictures of a particular friend, or pictures of dogs, cats, etc. But when it labeled a picture of one of Alciné's friends, who is also African-American, it left him speechless.
>"It labeled it as something else. It labeled her as a different species or creature," says a horrified Alciné. Because it's so cliché he doesn't even want to say what creature it was. "I kind of refuse to. By saying that, I kind of reinforce the idea of it."
>I'm not going to reveal which animal it labeled his friend. But, it also happened to others with dark skin. Alciné isn't buying that it's just some weird technical glitch.
>"One could say, 'Oh, it's a computer,' I'm like OK ... a computer built by whom? A computer designed by whom? A computer trained by whom?"
>By clicking "Like" and commenting on Facebook posts, users signal the social network's algorithm that they care about something. That in turn helps influence what they see later. Algorithms like that happen all over the web — and the programs can reflect human biases.
>All Tech Considered
>What Makes Algorithms Go Awry?
>Alciné's conclusion is that there probably weren't any black people on the team that designed Google Photos. Google says it did test the product on employees of different races and ethnicities and it has apologized for what happened. The company says it's still early days for image labeling technology and it's working to improve it.

This ride wont end will it
>>
Pffft. How are they planning to improve it? By forcing a bias on it that wasn't there before? Filter out shit some people might not "like"?

I'd be impressed if a computer was able to talk shit about me. I wouldn't be mad. Let it fucking work and stop policing for fucks sake.
>>
>>53509169
this shit is cancer and needs to be stopped

how do we fix this?

the cancer that is trying to include niggers as people that is
>>
so tldr version is that people and monkeys look similar (because we had common ancestor recently, duh), and facial structure of blacks is closest to it from all human races, maybe because they are closest to earliest common ancestor of all human races
how facts can be racist
>>
>>53509423
essentially and theyre mad about it so theyre trying to push nonsense
>>
>>53509006
>big lips
>protruding forehead
>dumb facial expression
did you mean: monkey?
>>
>>53509423
Facts are harmful though. Everyone should be able to live in a fantasy land where nothing bad ever happens. Ever. Reality should be abolished.
>>
I can't tell the difference between black people and monkeys, how could a computer?
It has nothing to do with racism.
We are trained to recognize faces when we are young. When we don't see any black people, they all look the same to us.
People can't easily distinguish between faces of animals but if you grew up amongst them, you might learn the differences.
Unless you spefically train your ann to learn the difference between a black person making a grimace and a monkey doing the same face, it will fail from time to time.
And you have to be racist to think of doing such a training.
>>
What's wrong with monkeys?
>>
>>53509462
It was gorilla iirc
>>
When did NPR become such a joke?

Its literally the next gawker with these shit articles. Are they the same people?
>>
>>53509006
>>Alciné's conclusion is that there probably weren't any black people on the team that designed Google Photos
That's racist.
>>
> media is written at an 8th grade reading level

well maybe if they used a greater sample size to train their back-prop memes, they'd get better results
>>
Feminists need to be ignored. They are hate mongers
>>
https://youtu.be/72n34fRkA3I
>>
File: image[1].jpg (29 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
29 KB, 620x330
>>
File: image_17.jpg (87 KB, 436x826) Image search: [Google]
image_17.jpg
87 KB, 436x826
>>53509006
>>
File: nt.png (259 KB, 619x546) Image search: [Google]
nt.png
259 KB, 619x546
>>53509006
>>53512784
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.