[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> be me, 33 > tinkering with 8/16/32/64-bit computers since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: oldfag.jpg (647 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
oldfag.jpg
647 KB, 1000x667
> be me, 33
> tinkering with 8/16/32/64-bit computers since I was 8
> in the interwebs since 1997
> linux user since 1998
> CS graduate
> making a living as a C++ programmer
> 12+ hours a day in front of the keyboard
>
> never owned a smartphone
> never had Facebook, LinkedIn or any other social media account
> have absolutely no fucking idea what the fuss about Twitter is
> pay money for a mailbox
> use POP to access it
> keep local-only archive of all emails I've received or sent since the late 90's
> store nothing in no fucking cloud
> write emails in plain text, wrapping lines at 72 columns
> reply below the quotes, confusing the fuck out of most people
> miss Usenet
> highly distrust production maturity of all "new" technologies like Ruby/Rails, Node.js, NoSQL etc.
> consume music/video from locally stored files only, no streaming
> don't give a shit about any "blogger" or "youtuber"
> couldn't help with your Windows printer not working even if I wanted to
> mfw most people think I know shit about technology

Am I a dinosaur, /g/?
>>
>>53502961
Meh I have seen worse.
>>
>>53502961
No, you're just sane.
>>
Stuck in the past old man.... You should try this facebook stuff, it's real good.
>>
>>53502961
Similar aged dinosaur, I recently gave up trying to avoid modern tech and here's what I found

- Smartphones are ok as long as they aren't locked down and you can put a custom Android like Cyanogenmod/AOSP on it.
- Social media is ok if you use it to keep in contact with close friends (implying anyone here has friends) and family
- Twitter is almost entirely a waste of time. Good for following Japanese accounts that only post pictures/videos of cats.
- Cloud is mostly BS because they pull the rug out from under you and change your storage space/bandwidth/ToS arbitrarily
- Never got bottomquoting. Sounds kinda gay.
- Usenet always sucked. Sorry.
- New web-based technologies are shit but they are standard which makes them impossible to avoid. Stick with a webkit-based browser for max speed.
- Streaming services are mostly BS for the same reasons as cloud services. ToS changes, services close, you lose everything you paid for etc. Free streaming is ok. As long as there aren't non-stop ads.
- Most blogs and Youtubers are shit.
- Windows printer issues haven't existed since the mid-2000's
>>
>>53503050
>Windows printer issues haven't apeared since 2000's

Eh no like any printer that isn't made for big companies fucks up every other day.
>>
>>53502961
yes
>>
>>53503072
The printer might fuck up, but it's rarely Windows fault. Or it's the awful 3rd party drivers/software shitting itself. Or lying about ink levels (Hi HP).
>>
>>53503072
Usually a layer 8 issue.
>>
>>53502961
maybe a bit old fashioned but clearly better than those faggots who are:
> posting everything they do on facebook
> using iPhones or Android phones affected with stagefright
> uploading all their data in a unsecure and shitty cloud
> using gmail or hotmail
> using google
> using dell or apple computers
> watching pewdiepie videos
> hearing to Lil Wayne music
> owning beats by dr. dre
> using java
> posting shit like #ilooklikeanengineer on twitter
>>
>>53502961
don't be scared of new tech, anon
>>
>>53503000
>use POP to access it

What cunt does not use imap4 for security.

I mean, pull from a server only to have the next fat cunt /g/ kid using kali nicking your data.
>>
>>53503170
> kali script kiddies
mostly found on shitty tech forums asking why kali does not work with their NVIDIA graphics card
>>
Most of us tech's are like that op.
>>
>>53503170
IMAP is better but not in terms of security. They're both capable of using the same hashing and tunneling protocols.
>>
>>53503170
You must be more of a dinosaur than I if you're not aware that POP3 can (and should) be used with TLS.
>>
>>53503207
So it is not just me.

I added this forum group since their resources well helpful for kernel issues. Next minute I see a bunch of topics explaining how kali is better then ubuntu.

I swear cancer Indianian children with black fathers.
>>
>>53503236
I use embedded VPN tunnels.

All the way to the server socket (Cloud/Input) baby.
It's like fucking a chick that had managed to become went even before you tried the gayest shit talk as a sex line.

>I have never felt like a cunty underage jew like I do right now.
>>
Your life is probly better than your everyday pleb.
Just dont get to close-minded, most of your habits are logical.
>>
Youtube is full of good & interesting good stuff. Just go beyond of the front page.
>>
>>53503050
>Usenet always sucked. Sorry.
Usenet was great for multiple reasons:
1. The entry barrier of configuring a news client was keeping most complete idiots away, leaving mostly people you could have intelligent conversation with. Even trolling and flamewars had way more class than they do today.
2. A news client with decent threading, scoring, filtering and plonking capabilities made discussions a pleasure. Today's web forums are a HUGE step back from that.
3. The multi-server architecture made it free as in Stallman's wet dream. No single corporation owned or hosted the posts.
>>
The most pathetic thing is that, not you, but others similar to you think they're somehow better for being interested in obsolete shit and not knowing anything about current tech.

Real smarts is knowing about all of it, old and new. Knowing your way round a Commodore AND knowing your way around the latest shit is the best. Otherwise you're almost retarded and you'll feel like shit when a 9 year old could fix an issue with Windows for someone that you couldn't.
>>
>>53503125

>> hearing to Lil Wayne music

Wew. Are you from 2007?
>>
>>53503644
>music has been shit for over 9 years
Chilling.
>>
Ive been wanting to host my own email server from home, but i cant seem to figure it out. Still kind of new to linux, but ive tried on debian, where most tutorials are outdated, arch, where i think i am having problems redirecting my DNS. Any suggestions?
>>
>>53505144
Debian + Postfix + Dovecot. Screw the tutorials and read the actual documentation.

I wouldn't host my primary email on a homebrew server with consumer grade internet connection, though.
>>
>>53503000

No you are sane dude.
That's very respectable actually.
>>53503048
And don't use Facebook, you'd realize how degenerate people are and how dumb and selfish we had become.

>>53503569
This x 1000
>>
>>53503426
>>53506025
This x2000
>>
>>53502961
what do you miss from Usenet? it's still working just as well
>>
>>53503569
>good & interesting good

Fuck. I wanted to say """free""". But i had migraine and i couldn't speak or write properly.
>>
>>53505456
To add on to this anon, IIRC quite a lot of residential IPs are blacklisted when acting as an email server.
>>
>>53506081
The times when it was *the* place to have a discussion in the Internet, not a forsaken, marginal service used mostly by spambots and people distributing weird binaries. Just because it's technically working doesn't mean it's not dead.
>>
>>53506288
lmao *chugs mountain dew* gramps *sends 30 tweets* stfu dude xD *snaps selfie* get with the times man *uploads video of self eating 30 snickers to youtube*
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.