[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /g/'s opinion of Computer Information Systems? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 234.jpg (341 KB, 724x1297) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
341 KB, 724x1297
What is /g/'s opinion of Computer Information Systems? I'm currently a CS major, but I am having issues in my calculus classes.

Would switching be a mistake?
>>
CIS is, at least at my uni a part of the business school and isn't even close to a real cs degree. They spend alot of time mucking about with js, sql, and even excel.

Switching would be a huge mistake if you at all value having a career you want to wake to in the morning.
>>
>>53485539
But I am about to fail calc for a second time.
>>
You realize IS is basically IT just with other stuff like basic programming and business management thrown in, right? At least that's how it is at my school unless you take the extra programming electives. I'm in it for the networking though because I don't care for programming much. We have to take calc too though, I don't know about you.

It's not for you if you want to program. It's good for Networking and Security if your school offers those subjects in the curriculum.
>>
>>53486854
I like it all. Programming is fun, but as long as I'm doing something related to computers I'm fine.

As far as job availablity and pay, how much of a downgrade is it?
>>
>>53484179
Get the business degree that pretends its a stem degree, and just minor in comp sci. At least you'll have the basics of programming down that way. They're very different fields though...like, read the fucking degree descriptions in your college catalog.
>>
>>53487027
I have, they both appear similar.
>>
File: waifus_coding.png (1 MB, 620x1596) Image search: [Google]
waifus_coding.png
1 MB, 620x1596
>>
File: CS calc.png (9 KB, 568x161) Image search: [Google]
CS calc.png
9 KB, 568x161
>>53486755
You and every other CS monkey
>>
>>53487092
0/10

You should be ashamed of yourself for making that
>>
>CS monkey can't even pass a course normally taught in high school
When will we euthanize all CS majors?
>>
>>53486755
>>53485539
Most busines schools require calculus anyway....
That being said OP just watch fucking patrickJMT on youtube and practise a lot. Calculus isn't hard. Anyone can fucking do it. Just watch jmt a couple times. And then fucking practise/suffer through trial and error.
I hope to god this is calc Ii or III. Because derivative rules are literally just memorization.
If limits, the only hard part of calc one is what you struggle with, google l'opitel's (or however you spell it) rule and ignore what your prof taught you.
>>
>>53486755
How is that even possible?
I mean, you know before the exam that you are struggling, so the only sane response is to study harder.
When you don't and you fail, you should absolutely study harder.
I have had exams where I didn't perform as well as I liked, but never failed, so I wouldn't know what leads up to such a thing.
But if you just apply yourself instead of sitting here all day, you might not fail the core courses.
>>
>>53487055
Not that guy, but CS is alot more similar to a math major than anything else. It usually gets lumped into engineering because its kind of an oddball, but as far as what the actual field is concerned about is mostly just math and trying to prove things and find better ways of calculating things.

Alot of people join CS thinking that they will learn how to code and get a job at google or something and become quickly disillusioned over the content thinking the math is irrelevant and silly and they just need the programming when in reality the opposite is true.

Learning programming languages is pretty much completely secondary as far as academia and most good, big corporations are concerned. I'm double majoring in CS and computational math at our most recent career fair the larger more interesting internships all were far more interested in the math classes I was taking rather than the cs ones or the languages I knew. The ones that did care tended to be IT places looking for js programmers.

You might be reading this and say "but anon, I'm struggling in math, and you're telling me its most important? Do I drop out, will I never be a success?". The answer is no, because you probably haven't seen any real math yet. The math that you need to care about you'll start seeing about when you take your first real analysis course or course on algorithms. The calculus you're taking is pretty different and plenty of people who do poorly on it can do the other sort of math just fine.

TLDR: Get though it and you'll be fine, the important thing is that you can do the different sort of math that comes later but they are very different degrees.
>>
>>53488488
Blame the crappy American high school system. It's too easy and not enough content for college, it leaves students with a lot of gaps in knowledge.
>>
>>53486974
Keep in mind, there's a focus on different jobs for IS. Primarily management positions like network or sys admin. Network is paid less usually since sys basically does their job most of the time when network admin doesn't exist. Network is like 45-75k, sys like 45-100ishk. According to stats anyway. The reality mighy be hogher orblower depending on the employer. Programmers are in a state right now where most jobs except the higher level stuff will be devalued. So it's a volitile field. Word of advice though, CS can basically get any job IS can provided you can get your certs and show competency outside of just the math and programming, but IS would be passed up for CS for a programming job in all likelihood.

IS is great to get hands on experience with real hardware if your school has it. IS also has more opportunity to do Business Intelligence if you're not a social autist. I don't think CS really prepares you for that at all. It's more up and coming as upper management needs someone to translate needs from the guys in the IT dept to them since they're not technical and vice versa.

So, CS overall is a broader degree, but IS has more management opportunities in exchange for less programming opportunities. In theory at least. If you want a programmer job, IS is not for you. For me it's like why waste time learning anything more than scripting because I have little interest in programming. I'm just in it for the network stuff. But a CS guy could do my job too if they went and passed their certs. See what I mean? Sometimes the landwhales in HR don't even fucking know the difference.
>>
>>53488443
Not him but it's indicative of the majority opinion on /g/.

I find it hilarious that they view c++ the way they do. The anti OOP sentiment here is just laughable.
>>
>>53489086
I've never met anyone majoring in math or even engineering who have any problems with calculus at all. It's only fucking CS majors who have this problem. Just euthanize them and the world will be a better place.
>>
File: Delusional CS major.png (287 KB, 836x1065) Image search: [Google]
Delusional CS major.png
287 KB, 836x1065
>>53489064
>CS is alot more similar to a math major than anything else

People who think this are far worse than the idiots that repeatedly fail calculus in CS
>>
>>53489448
I have no problem admitted that most people in /g/ are smarter than me. I am just trying to do the best for me.
>>
>>53489064
>career fair the larger more interesting internships all were far more interested in the math classes I was taking rather than the cs ones or the languages I knew

Because everyone knows CS classes are a fucking joke. You may as well be taking classes on coloring books.
>>
>>53489148
If you're interesting in moving up into management then just get a MBA after a few years working.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.