[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kingston SSDs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: kingston.png (67 KB, 732x434) Image search: [Google]
kingston.png
67 KB, 732x434
Who else here is enjoying the Kingston SSD experience? It lack of TRIM support is great, but my favourite is the firmware update that erased the drive.
>>
File: 2345234523.jpg (55 KB, 991x902) Image search: [Google]
2345234523.jpg
55 KB, 991x902
>tfw you fell for the SSD meme
>>
How your server looks when you join the Kingston master race.
>>
>>53478941
I used to have my OS on a Kingston SSD, but got bored of the drive needing like 8 secs "extra HDD wait time" or whatever set in the BIOS settings; it wouldn't be detected at boot time otherwise.
>>
They're so goddamn cheap though. I use them on disposable laptops and trash them on their first failures
>>
>>53479096
How cheap?
I bought a cheap 128gb sandisk for $40 and it's never given me any problems.
>>
>>53479126
I bought 10 of those 128s for 320CAD from a darknet reseller. 2 were fucked up on arrival, but I threw the rest in old laptop boxen and they worked
>>
I keep telling people not to buy kingston but people still buy them.
I know why, too, and that's because they're the cheapest on the market.
>>
>>53479227
I seriously considered getting kingston until I saw sandisks on sale for the same price.

I'm not sure why they actually buy them tho, all the switcharoo drives have lots of long and negative reviews everywhere you look.
>>
>>53478941
>No TRIM support
Just use EXT4.
>>
>>53479284
Sandisks are the absolute worst.

I spec PCs for manufacture, and have made hundreds with OCZ, Kingston and Samsung SSDs. We needed an emergency supply once and could only get Sandisk. Every machine running a Sandisk SSD would BSOD every 5 minutes. Never again.
>>
$40 ? what currency...oh wait that's U.S

so jealous Can't find a single 128gb for
less than $75 NZD

>>53479316
that sounds like firmware problem not hardware.
>>
>>53479304
OP here.

I use btrfs on servers because the snapshot feature allows me to backup a live system without chasing a moving target. I must admit, ext4 still wins for speed and stability,
>>
>>53479345
Well, shitty SSD firmware I'd assume. Sandisk make rock solid flash memory, but they *really* need to get on top of the controller/firmware game.
>>
>>53479389
they use silicon motion controllers
>>
>>53479358
>btrfs
>not zfs

you have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>53479316
>every

Why do I have the feeling you're actually <22 years of age and are stupid as fuck. Wait nevermind I figured it out.
>>
>>53479654
>being on 4chan past the age of 19
you're the real failure
>>
>Lack of TRIM support.

What?
>>
>>53479167
>darknet

Did you just admit to buying stolen goods?
>>
>>53479745
In 5 years you'll still be here and you'll be told the exact same thing by the people younger than you.
>>
>mfw 3 production servers with V300 kingston ssds that have never had a problem
>>
>>53479486
remind me which distros have zfs?

zfs is fine if you need server grade NAS by running solaris or bsd, but it's not worth the effort of getting ZOL working on rhel or sles.

>ubuntu for a server
kekekek
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.