[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 and still no fully modular cell phones and tablets on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Phonebloks_open[1].jpg (3 MB, 6000x3750) Image search: [Google]
Phonebloks_open[1].jpg
3 MB, 6000x3750
>2016 and still no fully modular cell phones and tablets on the market

Modular mobile devices when?
>>
PhoneBloks will be a thing any day now
>>
a phone is $20 nobody gives a shit
there is no market for it
>>
>>53475444
i hope soon, so i can take off uneeded parts for more battery life
>>
>>53475474
>there is no market for it

Says who? You? If that's the case, why do they benchmark cellphones then?
>>
>>53475444

If we could remove the cameras then how would the NSA spy on us?
>>
>>53475444
>models the icons on the components
>even models the shiny gold pins you can hardly even see but twice
>just pastes a picture of a camera lens on the camera module

I thought Project Ara was due for a mid-2016 release?
>>
>>53475444
LG G5 faggot. If it flops, well we know how Project Ara is going to turn out.
>>
>>53475578
not a valid point given you can tape those
>>
>>53475444
Fairphone2
>>
>>53476887
try taping a microphone
>>
>buying phones without unibody design
>>
>>53477081
>being a retarded consumerist
Marx was right
>>
>>53477320
>marx
lel

Enjoy your shit phone with poor durability while I enjoy my water resistance.

If you want to build your desktop in parts, fine. But if I'm carrying something around with me all day, it needs to be solid.
>>
Modular phones are the linux desktop of the cellphone world.

Just because YOU think they're cool, doesn't mean the rest of the buying public will.
>>
>>53476477

>G5
>Doesn't have the retarded buttons on the back

Why haven't I heard of this yet? Looks pretty sweet 2bh!
>>
>>53477081
>buying phones
>not just stealing them
Kek
>>
>>53477466
Rear buttons are the best. Not buying another LG phone until they utilise them again.
>>
>>53477389
Galaxy s5 is water resistant without unibody trash
Applel devices are not water resistant
>>
>>53477528
Jamal please, not everybody here is black
>>
>>53475444
A phone that
- is very customizable
- respects your freedom
- has many unique features
- requires tiny bit of mingling to get everything right
- costs 900

is much worse in the eyes of an American customer than a phone that
- features selective advertisement based on your behavior
- only has customizable storage
- costs 600 dollars.

It's sad but American customers only care about cheap stuff and nothing else, and the only way to reduce costs is standardizing the product you serve.

Even more unfortunate thing is that they're not designing those phones for you, in your country made of feces no one is able to buy them, in US even lowest 1% can afford a lot. No one cares what you think, either cheap or die.
>>
>>53477545
This
Waiting on the successor to the v10, hoping for waterproofing and the nice DAC
>>
>>53477466
I have an LG gg and rear buttons are the shit man. You just have to get used to them.
>>
>>53477785
I have a g3, I like the back buttons too
>>
>>53475557
Because they are stupid bloggers looking for ad revenue?
>>
File: 1380770921120.png (228 KB, 403x354) Image search: [Google]
1380770921120.png
228 KB, 403x354
>>53475578
>what are UI statistics
>what is leak protection
>>
File: 1444605643238.jpg (61 KB, 780x585) Image search: [Google]
1444605643238.jpg
61 KB, 780x585
>>53477637
>Niche or Not
>>
>>53477637
>requires tiny bit of mingling to get everything right

This is the real killer (aside from the price obviously). When people spend more than $100 on something, they expect to be able to integrate it seamlessly into their life with no hiccups whatsoever. Remember that most phone users are just looking for an inexpensive exocortex and communication device. It's not an experiment to them, it's supposed to be an extension of themselves that fits like a glove.

How popular do you think a replacement organ would be if you had to 'fiddle with it' to get it to work?
>>
>>53475444

Nigger.

We are not getting Phonebloks style modularity for a long time. Stop buying that shit.
It may be difficult for you to fathom, but designing a universal transport layer for Power and Data in a handheld format is just fucking dumb. Electronics work by either:
A. Knowing where shit should be at to communicate with it.
B. Not needing to worry because it's a linear process.

Universal modularity breaks both of those rules. Can't choose where to put a power button because the board can't put an open circuit needing connection for power on EVERY port. Then any button or input becomes the power button, including the battery. Battery would just constantly keep the power on. And a digital power switch would require an active, always-on transport layer that the battery powers, which means a battery drain whether the phone is off or not. Changing SoC will also mean changing boot ROM. Since the SoC cannot possible know where the storage for shit is without it being either a linear, or pre-programmed path. Means if you upgrade a processor/RAM, you lose all your boot ROM information (and likely, all the bits like your OS and such). Theres also the fucking issue with Drivers. On current phones, its no big deal. Drivers are loaded from the factory, updated with phone image updates. Now, you either have to pre-load a massive library of drivers for compatibility out of the box with all possible modules, or you'll have to pre-download drivers for modules ahead of time. Which, if it's a major network component, means you've got to load the drivers onto the phone without connecting any network, and given that phones lack the convenient ports a full computer does, makes the task that much harder.

I could go and go. But needless to say, don't expect them anytime soon, OP
>>
I'm just waiting for the modular tablet, phones won't happen anytime soon but tabs seem like it'll be easy enough
>>
There aren't really even modular laptops.
>>
I believe it is more of a software problem, than a hardware problem. You could make modular hardware easily but how would the plug and play thing work? Ara project is Google's thing iirc and afaik Android doesn't yet support modular hardware
>>
>>53478906
This.
>>
>>53476929
Yeah, because you're going to make calls with text to speech.
Do you think before you shitpost?
>>
>>53479614
>he thinks smartphones are used for making calls
>laughingwhores.gif
>>
>>53475444
>modular cell phone
so instead of completely upgrading every 1-3 years
you upgrade whenever there's a better part untill you replace every part in about 1-3 years?

great idea OP
>>
File: 1439282380436.png (76 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1439282380436.png
76 KB, 400x400
>>53475444
>phone knocked out of hand
>tiny ass pieces explode everywhere
Gud idea
>>
>>53476451
In CAD software, and particularly in parametric modeling, modeling things takes as long as drawing it with Bezier tools.
So it stands within reason that if you have to draw things by hand anyways, you might as well extrude them inward to give them an engraved look.

And whoever designed this obviously doesn't know how camera lenses, much less electronics work.
>>
>>53475444
What for? So you can plug a bunch of shit to it and then never ever change it?

There are a few elements that might benefit from being modular, but all parts? That's retarded.
>>
>>53475467
>Not knowing PoneBloks discontinued over a year ago
>>
>>53475444
Why would the free market allow this they learned their lesson from the desktop and laptop. Why make something modular when you ucan make them pay for a slightly better product for the same price as the old? Very God dam time
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.