[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should I learn java as my first programming language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: Drunk Lazy Brown Bear.jpg (171 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Drunk Lazy Brown Bear.jpg
171 KB, 1024x768
should I learn java as my first programming language?
>>
go for it, there's no shortage of resources out there.
>>
No, start with C/C++.
>>
>>53471815
No
>>
>>53471840
why?
>>
>>53471840
>C/C++
Why are you grouping two wildly different things together?
>>
>>53471815
Go for C
>>
>>53471815
yes, if you a masochist
>>
not in my opinion. java was one of the first langs to focus on oop bit theres some really annoying concepts in it, like having to wrap every little function inside a class. i would rather start out with some scripting language , maybe python because it has a syntax planned for beginners, or with plain old c or c++ on the command line to really get a feel for whats happenong behind the scenes
>>
>>53471896
C is meme
>>
>>53471935
Your OS disagrees
>>
Wich one is better and why? C or C++?
>>
>>53471942
and plenty of critical software getting periodically exploited causing millions/billions in damages every time disagrees, too.

oh, wait.
>>
>>53471955
C is better to learn pointers and memory management. If you know C you can learn any language easily (oop concept is not hard to understand)
>>
>>53471955

Listen to this man, man.

youtu.be / dsMKJKTOte0?t=12m30s
>>
>>53471990
Yeah, I'm sure C knowledge transfers readily to haskell or lisp.

>inb4 meme languages
>>
>>53471968
Go ahead, do it in Java. Enjoy having to wait 3min to open the fucking terminal
>>
>>53471955
theres no better or worse. c++ is slightly more abstracted making it slightly easier to grasp and has more in built conveniencies. the main difference is that c++ has classes and hence is easier for learning oop. c syntax is compatible with c++, bit not the other way around
>>
The first language i somewhat learned was java.
I fiddle around in it for a bout a year or so on and off. And was pretty happy with just it.
At some point i got lazy and decided to try pyhton. It's much simpler but it did wonders for my code. It now looks pretty and organized much easier to navigate and understand.
I am currently learning C++.
The main thing is that you don't have to stick to just one language. Start out with what you feel is beast, of for what you can find a decent guide, teacher, book, or preferred media of teaching. Once you get your head in the game it's piss easy to switch.
>>
>>53472023
>implying java is the only choice against C
>implying java is a good choice for system programming
>implying C is the only choice for system programming
>implying system programming has to be unsafe to be efficient
>>
>>53472021
Please name something actually written in those languages
>>
>>53472051
>implying
>>
>>53472055
google flights aka ITA
>>
>>53471930
>having to wrap every little function inside a class
false
>>
>>53471815
Ignore the people recommending C. Outside of systems programming its fairly pointless and theres a reason that no CS programs start you off with C. Learn Java, Python, Javascript, or Ruby first. If you become halflway decent at any of those, especially the typed languages. C will be easy to pick up if you ever actually do get an interest in doing the deeper systems things.

If you don't ever want to do that then learning about then C is a waste of time outside of just having a general idea about what the lower level is doing. If its just a passing interest Rust or Golang will help you understand those concepts as well.
>>
>>53471815
Go for it after a while you would want to actually do something so you will think to yorurself android's a good idea, move onto that and start messing around with it without even realizing wtf you are doing
Enjoy feeling like killing yourself after about 2 months
Start with c or python
>>
>>53472126
C# and C++ are fine too
>>
>>53472055
a lot of facebook's infrastructure. They even open sourced their haskell software.

And those were just examples of languages so different that it doesn't even make sense to compare them. There are surely many more that I don't even know exist.

The point is that it's retarded to say that if you know a language you know them all.
>>
PYTHON
Y
T
H
O
N
>>
>>53471815
its hard to say.

java is good but it hides allot of shit from you and can work in weird ways and make things harder than they should be.

C++ you need to really understand whats going on. since you have more direct access and theirs lots of weird bugs that can pop up.

honestly you just need to learn programming logic, then any langauge is easy to pick up.
>>
>>53471815
To learn and grasp OOP, Java is a nice language that's friendly enough for non-programmers to get started. I'd recommend from there, if you're interested in systems programming try out C as your first low level language, then when you've grasped C, C++ widely extends on C. If you're interested in application development, do C# or Android.
>>
>>53472212
this desu senpai
>>
>>53471859
They both start with C though.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.