[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So many coding possibilities, so little time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1451956303593.gif (116 KB, 275x200) Image search: [Google]
1451956303593.gif
116 KB, 275x200
Anyone else feel that way?

I have a huge amount of ability and knowledge of programming but sometimes I get confused the fuck about what to do with this and feel scared that I'm not making the best use of my ability. I'm already working for a shitty media company doing SQL shit (I'm not a SQL monkey, I've done Java and C# before) but its just to pay the bills.

Anyone else going through similar feels?
>>
File: 1457417391704.png (52 KB, 272x363) Image search: [Google]
1457417391704.png
52 KB, 272x363
>>53464192
this is one of the top reasons why i want to be paid to write software. sadly, most people hire to write shitty things with shitty languages, in addition to passing over merit.

i have a steady stream of stuff to write on my own as a hikki neet and this seems as optimal as it will get in this culture.
>>
>>53464681
Have you written anything yet? Or just procrastinate like me?
>>
Yep and the feeling of improving and getting much better in a certain language/area, but time and the availability of opportunities related to it are not by much.

Its part of life, we can never have it our way. Best to get good as possible and find some other way to make use of the skills.
>>
>>53464192
As I am unable to find a language that fits my needs I can't feel you
I was in love with c# but then switched to Loonix.
Now I'm shitting around in Python, but yeah, it's still only Python
>>
>>53467145
Have you actually looked at what's out there recently?
Hell, some decent new languages have been shilled a lot on/g/, like rust, elixir and go.
>>
>>53464192
This. I got so fucked up in trying to understand how singed and unsigned integer are save on computer than I am currently reading computer architecture books.
>>
>>53469562
Um, what?
>>
>>53469562
twos complements.
Start here and you might find what you look for
>>
>>53469496
>rust
sjw
>elixir
Literally what
>golang
iirc sjw
>>
>>53469933
Hi memespouter, I think pol is that way
>>
>>53470196
/g/ made me like this, it's your fault.
>>
>>53467145
>C#
>Linux

www.monodevelop.com
>>
>>53469585
>>53469608
I work on C/C++ codes for my company. But I don't just want to do their job. So during free time or when someone is not looking at my screen I learn C from dept. Company just ask me to do "known" changes to some components of products which is just plain stupid job.
>>
File: 1427599655423.jpg (46 KB, 700x627) Image search: [Google]
1427599655423.jpg
46 KB, 700x627
>>53464681
my current project is like 15kloc of C and it feels half done. i make 2 commits on average per day. it's been this way for half a year.
>>
>>53472627
meant for >>53466862
>>
>>53464192

Simply start youre own business.
>>
>>53464192
I didn't have any aspirations before I programmed, and learning programming didn't change that.
>>
>>53464681
this man I was the same but now that I work 50+ hours a week nothing will ever get done again
>>
>>53473940
That's the plan m8
>>
>>53464192
I do neural nets and robotics as a hobby, its very fun and challenging. I do run-of-the-mill webdev for a living. Would be cool to have enough money to indulge in my hobbies 100% of the time.

Programming is just a means. Languages are copypasted & superficial. Its algorithms/math/hardware that matters most.
>>
>>53469933
>rust: sjw
Run by Mozilla, of course its SJW-infested. It was supposed to replace C, but then some landwhale got offended by the word "he" and derailed the project.
>elixir: Literally what
A ruby-like language that runs on the Erlang/OTP runtime. Erlang/OTP is a remarkable piece of engineering, but it's pretty slow by most standards. On the other hand, you could nuke an Erlang/OTP instance from orbit and it would keep working tirelessly.
>golang: iirc sjw
Yes, they got CoC'd, but so far I know of no issues like the opal debacle in this particular space. I use Go frequently, and don't dislike it. Lots of interesting stuff coming out of the community, but almost everyone is some flavor of hipster
>>
File: dfe64.jpg (85 KB, 850x602) Image search: [Google]
dfe64.jpg
85 KB, 850x602
>>53474819
>It was supposed to replace C
can ppl just stop wasting time with this. there's a reason these projects attract sjws.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.