[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I once had someone on /g/ tell me that arctic silver 5 is "deprecated."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: arctic silver 5.jpg (15 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
arctic silver 5.jpg
15 KB, 640x480
I once had someone on /g/ tell me that arctic silver 5 is "deprecated."

Was he full of shit, or is there a better thermal compound now? It's been ages since I've built a computer, so I'd like to be in the know before I make the jump.
>>
Noctua stuff is better. Arctic is still pretty good though.
>>
It's still just as good as ever, there's just better stuff out now.
Get a dollar tube off eBay for best value and results
>>
>>53459585

Isn't all thermal compound just silver lithium grease?
>>
I hear mayonnaise is what the cool kids use now
>>
>>53459868
heh, /r/ing the infographic chart
>>
>>53459853
The use of similar core materials don't detract from the quality of something, by that logic all glass is equal
>>
File: 1450251078446.jpg (265 KB, 464x928) Image search: [Google]
1450251078446.jpg
265 KB, 464x928
>>53460085
This one?
>>
>>53460642
>>53460642
Fucking mayonnaise man. Jesus.
>>
>>53460642
...I now need to try mayo for shits and giggles.
>>
>>53459585
it's good. if you got one lying around, use it.
but if you have to get a new pack, get mx-2 or mx-4 or nt-h1.
>>
>>53459585
One of the major benefits of more modern alternatives is that most aren't conductive, meaning you won't short anything even if you're a blithering idiot.
>>
>>53460642
I guess the problem with chocolate is that it would set in lower temperatures and then melt as heated by the CPU, so you couldn't really apply it properly unless you keep it liquid.
>>
>>53460642
>no thermal paste = 43
>any paste = knocks off 10
why bother then
>>
File: header.JPG.jpg (49 KB, 887x593) Image search: [Google]
header.JPG.jpg
49 KB, 887x593
Thermal grizzly Kyronaut is the shit
>>
>>53463394

The problem with chocolate is that it burns a lot quicker than, mayo for example. Also it clumps up if you look at it the wrong way, lots there to go wrong.

Mayo is essentially a fat emulsion, even if your liquid melts away(vinegar) you are still left with a fat that would conduct heat pretty well as exemplified by the lipstick or the butter.

I'd be curious to know what would the chart look like if you left the computer running for a month, and then measured it again.
>>
Does thermal paste go bad?

I had a tube of AS5 for like 10 years. I think the compounds just separated and needed to be mixed again.
>>
>>53460642
>chocolate
>mayo
>Lipstick
>Diaper ointment
>butter
>spray oil

Truly the hardware secrets
>>
>>53460642
So wait the bigger numbers means its better right?
Brb going to the store to buy some chocolate nutella.
>>
I use it to replace factory CPU paste in prebuilt and laptops and generally see a huge drop in temps, but also much less varied temperature changes.

it's legit
>>
>>53459585
Literally the best thermal paste out there, unless you splurge and go for the Nanotec Diamond
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.