[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is running Linux as your primary OS a bad idea? I just imagine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: GGEYU.jpg (103 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
GGEYU.jpg
103 KB, 500x494
Is running Linux as your primary OS a bad idea?

I just imagine all the people that install Arch or something and put all their important files on there only to have it crash a week later and have no way to recover everything.

Or they're leaving out of town for a week only to have their wifi suddenly not work.

And don't pretend Linux is stable, all community forums are filled with "how do i fix" threads, many with dead ends.
>>
Of course. LOONIX is always a terrible idea especially if you have a job.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.
>>
>>53446301
Depends... Do you have a job?
If you need to send and receive files you need to make sure they're in the appropriate format. This is hard on linux
>>
>>53446301
Tfw installed arch before school started.
Tfw everything works just fine OOB.
Tfw I don't have to fight with the OS anymore.
Tfw I have a backup of all my files anyway.

Been 3 months and no crashes nor anything just stopped working. Feels good. On win10, shit would just stop working and I had to reboot to make it work again.
>>
>>53446565
>3 months
you're living on borrowed time
>>
File: HL_fw658.jpg (56 KB, 658x987) Image search: [Google]
HL_fw658.jpg
56 KB, 658x987
I've had Arch installed on my new laptop since september 2015, it hasn't crashed once but maybe it's because I use xfce instead of all these other meme DEs.
>>
Mint just werks
>>
>>53446301
If you don't know how to recover your files after it "crashes" then you probably have no reason to be using linux.
>>
>>53446714
I've been using arch as my primary for about 3 years now, and I only run into problems about as much as my secondary windows computer, which is quite infrequently.
>>
I use Ubuntu as my primary OS. Not for the memes, but because it works nice and the font rendering is great. I have a Windows 7 VM for anything I need to run on... Windows
>>
>>53446714
I've been using the same install for 3 years and I never experienced your memes.
>>
>>53446301
If you can do your work/projects on Linux then use it, if not then use OS that allows you that. That unstable meme is mostly due to newcomers try to rice shit up and mess up their systems then cry.
>>
>>53446301
>I just imagine all the people that install Arch or something and put all their important files on there only to have it crash a week later and have no way to recover everything.

Because all Linux distributions are just like Arch? Some distributions are more stable than others. I don't personally care for Arch myself.

>And don't pretend Linux is stable, all community forums are filled with "how do i fix" threads, many with dead ends.

"Linux" as a collective whole isn't any one general thing. It all boils down to the distribution you use.

And if you're mucking around in shitty user support forums, then you need to find a better distribution.
>>
>>53446324
Some jobs require Linux, wangblows shitposter.
>>
File: rms badass.jpg (103 KB, 492x661) Image search: [Google]
rms badass.jpg
103 KB, 492x661
installed xubuntu on mums computer in 2013

never had to deal with virus, malware or being slow with crap anymore

its still fast as day 1
>>
>>53446974
yee
Arch + Xfce is all I ever need and always just werks
>>
It is not as unstable as you think.
"suddenly not having wifi" is not really a likely problem you would encounter.
Most drivers are in the kernel, if they are there one day, they will be there several years later.
The manager might break and then you have to figure out how to connect to the network without it.

But the files?
Even if you break every application, you can make a live usb and get your files and install a new system.

Stability in the linux world usually refers to features though.
When a feature gets changed or removed or added, the system is not stable.
There are stable systems, where they freeze the features and only add security patches for people who wants to get work done.

The "forums full of people with problems" is why those things exist.
Most things have a solution though and you can usually just apply their solution to your problem.
It is pretty neat.

And if your hardware crashes, you can move your harddrive over to another system and everything will most likely just work.
>>
Linux is GNU
>>
>>53446301
Install linux.
Windows is garbage.
>>
>>53446301
>implying Arch is the only distro there is
>implying there aren't stable distros
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.