[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should i learn javascript?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
should i learn javascript?
>>
Nah. that'd require effort.
>>
Only if it's for a website, don't go making Node.JS applications or any bullshit like that
>>
>>53444232
i was thinking about node stuff, why don't you recommend it?
>>
>>53444249
You're making an application, not a fucking website.
>>
>>53444249
Novice here.
I'm gonna guess because of javascript injections
>>
>>53444153

Yes. It's the most sought after language at the moment, job wise, and if you ever work in web development, you'll need to understand it, even if it's not really part of your job.
>>
>>53444295
i can code a website with php and jquery but interested in node to make some cool stuff
>>
>>53444303

What kind of 'cool stuff' are you interested in doing that you think you'd need node for?
>>
>>53444326
i tried to make an android app for my student project, it was a pain in the ass for me to manage whole facebook api stuff. i could make a backend proxy on my webserver to give out information in simply format for me to process
>>
>>53444353

I can't see any reason that'd require Node. You could write that service just as easily in PHP.

Which is not to say you shouldn't bother learning javascript. It's a fantastic language that'll be around as long as the internet exists -- i.e. for the foreseeable future.

I'm just not completely sold on Node. It's trendy, that's about it.

If you're interested in mobile apps and javascript, though, I'd recommend you checkout the Meteor tutorial. It's well worth the 30 minutes it'll take.

https://www.meteor.com/install
>>
i have a feeling JavaScript is the new PHP, in the sense that people love to hate both, but they are here to stay.

currently learning PHP and although i'm not the biggest fan of front end, i think in due time JS will become as essential as PHP, as it becomes more relevant.
>>
>>53444544
yes its easy with php but i though it would be good simple project to begin with. i will check meteor thanks
>>
>>53444631

PHP isn't essential. It's one of 20 or so popular backend languages. It's very easy to choose something other than PHP as your backend.

Javascript is pretty much the only thing you can use on the front end. The only alternatives are Coffeescript and ES6, and even then, they compile down to javascript, so you still need to understand javascript to debug.
>>
>>53444658
i meant essential as in the majority of web dev jobs require knowledge of PHP. yes there is plenty of choice for back end languages, however, this choice isn't always yours to make.
>>
>2016
>not learning JS
chrome 49 has shipped and you can use pretty much every ES6 feature now in your console, right now

>node.js hate
please. writing a proxy server in node.js is like 10 lines of code. actually preferring PHP to a great language like javascript is pathetic. commit sudoku desu

node.js is probably one of the greatest things you can learn. once you become a master at javascript your life will be so much easier. ignore all the people hating on js because that was trendy 10 years ago
>>
>>53445348
you forget the part where most servers come with php installed by default, for your 10 lines of code he must install whole node
>>
>>53445413
>most servers run php
>2016
nice meme. don't you have some apache to hug?
>>
>>53445473
it just werks
>>
>>53444153
Read this. https://medium.com/javascript-and-opinions/state-of-the-art-javascript-in-2016-ab67fc68eb0b#.oz1kvrica
>>
>>53444153
>should i learn the worlds most popular programming language that is being developed by the worlds largest tech companies?
>>
>>53445990
>javascript
>script
>programming language

fuck off faggot
>>
>>53446060
>he thinks the name is significant

I bet you think that the dollar signs in PHP variables are real money too.
>>
>>53446060
You can write programs in Javascript ∴ Javascript is a programming language.
>>
>>53446223
You can also doing it while using functional programming patterns and all kinds of neat shit.

If you avoid the bad parts by using a linter, its a nice language.
>>
>>53446317
I've never actually had a good look at Javascript, but I remember the DOM (or at least working with raw JS in the browser) to be not so fun.
>>
>>53444256
You can use Javascript in other programing languages??

> -Basic html/css fag
>>
>>53446498
Check out Atom for an example
>>
>>53446513
its just a chrome browser
>>
>>53446531
No it's a text editor that runs on top of Chrome
>>
>>53446556
its a chrome browser runs a page which includes a textarea html tag
>>
>>53446567
That's my point, it's fucking stupid
>>
>>53446490
Yeah the DOM is the worst API ever designed. jQuery makes it more bearable.

But you don't have to worry about the DOM at all if you use Node, because it hands stuff to C++ APIs to do cool stuff in C++ land, instead of the browser.

You do have to get used to asyncrhonous programming, but that's quite easy with promises, generator functions and async/await. And using an asynchronous event loop is a far better way to handle concurrency than having to deal with fucking threads.
>>
>>53444153

Even apart from the fact that most modern web dev relies on it, JavaScript is actually a pretty gud language.
>>
Waste of time. Javascript will be gone in max 10 years when HTML5 has fully taken over the Internet.
>>
>>53446787
they complete each other.
>>
>>53446787
Actually Douglas Crockford has the Seif project, which intends to replace the web entirely using Javascript over TCP, using Node as the backend and Qt as the frontend, all using the actor model so we have far better security than we do today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHRXPlq9XNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQWRoLf7bns

HTML and CSS are shit, and the web was designed to be a document retrieval system with no security in mind whatsoever. XSS attacks were first identified as a problem in 1995, and there's nothing we can do about them still today, SSL isn't a defense against them because once the scripts are on your page they have access to your secure connections. SSH has also been in use for 20 years and we're still finding bugs in it.

The web isn't fit for purpose to be an application delivery system, and the only reason it kinda works today is because web developers spend most of their time trying to find workarounds to get past its limitations.

It'd be nice if a better-designed language would come along and replace Javascript, but it's not going to be fucking HTML5. It might have been Dart, but Dart is dead. Any new language would have to be literally 10 times better than Javascript to get people to switch over.
>>
File: no.jpg (45 KB, 766x460) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
45 KB, 766x460
>>53446893
>Qt
>>
File: 1454973415331.jpg (47 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454973415331.jpg
47 KB, 640x480
>>53446904
>DOM
>>
>>53446893
>Any new language would have to be literally 10 times better than Javascript to get people to switch over.
Every language is at least 10 times better than js but they don't run on browser.
>>
>>53446904
>>53446916
http://pastebin.com/zyCGdQXr
>>
>>53446995
those are base64 strings fucking dumb fuck
>>
>>53446995
> being THIS buttblasted
>>
>>53446933
>Every language is at least 10 times better than js

This meme is literally old enough to drink and has been out of date for a long time.
>>
>>53446893
>Node
>Qt

Meme overload
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.