[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if mechanical keyboards are so great why do they all cost nearly $100
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 1024px-IanMurdock-640x426.jpg (29 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
1024px-IanMurdock-640x426.jpg
29 KB, 640x426
this k120 has lasted me about 2 years already and doesnt even cost $10 with shipping

that means it would take 20 years before a memechanical brown-switch keyboard would actually pay itself off in terms of value

and thats if it never breaks or the USB cable doesnt wear out on the back

and assuming my k120 is going to become unoperable anytime soon
>>
With that mindset you must only wear caterpillar work boots and dickies jumpsuits
>>
It's not about longevity, it's about how nice they are to type on. My $90 mechanical keyboard has lasted me 5 years so far.
>>
>>53436496

i wore timberland chuka's for like 5 years, the inner sole padding was the only thing that needed to be replaced

but that doesnt make sense, cause if the keyboard isnt going to be as low profile and lightweight but also require switches to be replaced or whatnot within that 10 years then its not worth it

nearly none of the memechanical keyboards that are low profile even come in brown, they're all the loud ass blacks so alone makes it even less appealing or worth it
>>
>>53436481
>k120
>acceptable keyboad

do you also drive a KIA and wear only walmart cloths?

lots of shit is good enough. people judge you for your shitty things though. thus the rat race
>>
File: 1454470533944.jpg (9 KB, 342x342) Image search: [Google]
1454470533944.jpg
9 KB, 342x342
>>53436528
>>
>>53436528
find rapoo they do lopro mech
>>
You can ask the same question about a lot of things OP

Why do people spend a hundred thousand dollars on supercharged sports cars when they could get a 2004 Civic that does the same thing

You're paying for the experience and if you don't want to pay for it thats fine
>>
File: UUUUUUUAAAAAGHHHHH.jpg (23 KB, 330x327) Image search: [Google]
UUUUUUUAAAAAGHHHHH.jpg
23 KB, 330x327
>>53436528
What is going oN FUCKONG HELP ME HELP I AM AT RISK
>>
This OPs logic means that Lamborghini's must last forever for it to be worth buying. Stop being retarded OP
>>
>>53436707

>defending shit cars
>>
>>53436725
Shit cars... Did your jelly dad teach you they were shit?? Bet they would be a whole lot better if he could afford one.
>>
>>53436787

>a device to get you from point A to B
>shit miliage efficiency
>no where in the world where its capabilities can even be used
>which makes it a shit speed limit mobile
>cant drive over speed bumps or any other normal road imperfections
>shit in bad weather
>>
>>53436889
you forgot
>spontaneously combusts
>>
>>53436481
Basically a meme, i rather use 5 euro keyboards then spending over 100+ euro's on a "gamer" keyboard.
Because Kek what is the difference between mechanical keyboard and a 5 euro one?
Nothing really if you type blind then it doesn't matter really.
Trashed 2x 5 euro keyboards last 8 years always had replacement by hand so wasn't a big deal.
>>
FUCK DA POLICE
>>
>>53436889
Yeah keep kidding to yourself that you don't want one if you can easily afford one. Don't know about social status.
>>
>>53437054

>filling up the gas tanke 2-3 times a week
>>
>>53437087
When you are that rich you can afford to, sorry gas is hard for you to afford tho
>>
Bought my second mech keyboard after 3 years only cuz I lost this metal bar that supports spacebar while I was cleaning it. Also I literally have WRECKED my old desk with that keyboard as if it was a sledgehammer and the only damage I've made in the process are broken angle adjusting feet.

Not to mention orders of magnitude better feel from switches as well as how solid the thing is
>>
>>53437116

>driving the same speed limit
>having to stop 4-5 times to fill up
>can only use specific stations that dont have too steep of a water drain dip at the edge of their street entrances

>better
>>
>>53437238
Why you rage so hard senpai
>>
>>53437278
I used to be a gayman that played fps "competitively" (if term esport can be applied to butterfield)
>>
>>53437316
Maybe you should do real sports and MMA instead
>>
>>53436481

The thing is the K120 is awful to use. It's a terrible, low quality keyboard that's very nasty to operate.

We use them widely at work, unfortunately. Some workstations still use a very basic HP membrane keyboard with no frills, those I can fully deal with, but the fucking GAY trend of using laptop-style thin short stroke keys is fucking dumb. Laptops only use them to save vertical space. You don't need to save any space with a desktop keyboard. Especially not vertical space.

Nobody buys mechanical keyboards for their durability, way before the switches shit out the keyboard will be grimy and caked with shit like dead skin and cum. Most people will just throw them away in favor of a new one. I know people on /g/ won't necessarily do that, but all the 12 year olds buying Razer keyboards with funky leds will get tired of them and change up to a newer model. So what I'm saying is fuck durability, it is a priority for literally nobody.

A mechanical keyboard is all about feel and if you're going to assert that you enjoy or prefer your K120 or if you dare to say something stupid like you can't tell the difference, I'm going to tell you you are fucking wrong and stupid.

You can't really justify a mechanical keyboard by other reasons than feel, but unless you live on neetbux a normal mechanical keyboard isn't going to punch a hole in your wallet. In fact just the other day I got myself a new one with my shitty service job salary.
>>
File: wscieklywaz.jpg (16 KB, 400x222) Image search: [Google]
wscieklywaz.jpg
16 KB, 400x222
>>53437346
nah, my master told me to avoid unnecessary brawls
>>
>>53437356
but you could buy a new kb every year and still be ahead

i'm not even jewish, but cannot justify spending what you faggots spend in just a kb
>>
>>53437356

>a $100 keyboard isnt a dent on anyones wallett
>>
>>53436528
Yeah, you tell them Anon! We should be reusing needles and reusing whole cables from bridges and keep using helmets after a crash and fuck buying new cars! Just keep fixing it for eternity.

This wooden bench is good enough who needs a couch? Why the fuck would you buy new floors? You can stand on your current ones can't you? Never buy a new TV! Your current 720p 24" is good enough!
>>
>>53436481
ahh yeah. I use that same keyboard
>>
>>53437422

Dude it's like $100. Who gives a shit? I could probably give that to a homeless person and forget about it a couple of months later. Unless you work at wal mart or mcdonalds it literally is nothing.

A keyboard is something you use every day when you're using your computer. It's a major interface to using your computer. Why on earth would you cheap out on something you're going to use a lot? It's something you have hands on access all day, you can feel your investment in use every time you write a word.

It's not the same as when people say the same thing about, say, a car. Sure there's a difference between a $3k and $15k car but $12k is actually a lot of money. Meanwhile the price diffrence of somewhere near 60 to 80 bucks is fucking nothing. Don't look at difference in percentage but in actual money.
>>
>>53437054
I'd trade a lambo for a Tesla any day.
>>
>>53437489

>the impact of any of those things compare in any way shape and form to a memechanical keyboard vs memebrane keyboard
>>
>>53437529
They do actually. We could all survive by recycling our old shit if we really wanted to, but we don't.
>>
>>53436481
Mechanical keyboards are just better for typing than basic 10-20 dollar keyboards.

For some people having a more comfortable typing experience is worth the premium for a mechanical keyboard.

Nothing wrong with a 10-20 dollar keyboard, though
I still use a 10-20 dollar keyboard and haven't bothered to get a mechanical yet.

There are people who would greatly benefit from a mechanical keyboard and other people not so much.

Instead we have people in this thread saying

>kek you're an idiot if you still use a 10 dollar keyboard
>kek you're an idiot if you pay a premium for a negligible different

etc etc etc

>people having different needs is a concept to foreign for /g/

but lol what else should I expect from /g/
>>
>>53437558

recycling is a meme, watch cowspiracy
>>
>>53437564

>better

than why do i type faster on small profile laptop or k120 style keboards vs blocky memeboards

its literal science, the less your hands or fingers have to travel or push the faster you'll type
>>
>>53437489

That last one is true though. Not everyone gives two shits less how big or high def their TV is. It is nice upgrading size and picture quality, but my 8 year old 720p 26" is a fine TV for its time, and I still use of t for stuff over my new 1080p 50"
>>
We get a bunch of those new low pro dell keyboards through surplus all the time. Also at school in the testing centers. They're so awful to type on. The keys are sticky and heavy, even for low pro boards. At that point they might as well just use scissor switches.

Anon, I can safely say that mech boards are worth the price. And if you go to mechanicalkeyboards.com you can even get some that are under $100 anyways. None that are the brands people spout on about here, but you can try the boards. And while Kailh and Greetech switches are worse than Cherry or Gaterons they're still better than membranes. If nothing else, at least go to some computer store or find someone by you that has a mech board and try it. If it's not for you so be it, but at least you wouldn't be saying they're shit without having used them.
>>
>>53437581
>literal science
Ok link me to research proving your claim

You probably type faster on your K120 because that's the keyboard you have mostly exclusively used for god knows how long. Your memory muscle has developed around that keyboard. If you use any other keyboard, including keyboards with even smaller travel distance between keys, you'll type slightly worse.

But once you adjust yourself to a mechanical keyboard you'll be typing faster than you ever did on your K120.

There are tons of anecdotal evidence pointing out to how people type faster on a mechanical once they get adjusted to it.
>>
>>53437653

>fingers spread out from their natural position
>faster!

lemme guess you think playing a guitar solo on the top buttons on rock band guitars is easier and faster than the ones on the lower part which are literally as wide as the fingers and require no movement or reach to play them
>>
>>53437794
I never played Rock Band so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

I'm just saying there's tons of anecdotal evidence to show that people type faster with mechanical keyboards.

I have never heard consistent claims of people saying they type faster on a small profile keyboard.

Sure you can argue that your fingers travel a shorter distance on a small profile keyboard, but at that point you're sacrificing accuracy for shorter distance. If distance was the only variable we'd all be typing fastest on smartphone keyboards.

In my personal experience the closer the keyboard gets to a fully fledged desktop keyboard the faster I type.

I once had to type on a small 10.1 inch netbook keyboard for an extended period. I actually got used to that extremely small keyboard and my typing speed was around the 80-90WPM mark.

Then I started primarily typing on a full sized desktop keyboard. Sure, initially it did feel slightly awkward because I had gotten so used to a small profile keyboard, but once I adjusted to it I was typing at around 100-110WPM.

Now I'm typing on a 13.3 inch laptop keyboard. No so surprisingly my typing speed is somewhere between that desktop keyboard and netbook keyboard at around 90-100WPM.

And the advantage mechanical keyboards bring is that they offer superior tactile feedback. You can more accurately and with less effort depress mechanical keys to register an input and with that increased tactile feedback you can type faster.
>>
>>53436481
>it would take 20 years before a memechanical
good thing they last for 50
>>
Couldn't I just tweak an old $10 typewriter into a keyboard? They feel better than mechanical keyboards anyway
>>
graph
>>
>>53437907
Go for it, seems like a fun project.
>>
>>53436481
>have ibm model m from 1993
>its already 23 years old
>best keyboard i've ever owned.
>>
>>53436496
/thread
>>
Once you click-clack you wont go back. $100 is nothing. Stop being a poor fag. If you're on your computer for hours and hours, why not type on something nice?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.