[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I have some help with Linux please?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11
File: kde.png (111 KB, 775x592) Image search: [Google]
kde.png
111 KB, 775x592
Windows 10 forced an update in the middle of me working on a project, rendering my laptop useless for an hour... I'm done.

I am going to install a Linux and only use that, I am not fucking with Windows anymore. I prefer to use a variant of Ubuntu, since it seems the most supported.

Here is my laptop:
Lenovo Y50
i7 4710HQ
Intel HD4600
Nvidia 960M optimus
512Gb ssd
3840*2160 screen

Programs I use most:
MS office (will switch to Google docs)
Spotify (supposedly they have a client)
CS Go
Teamspeak
NX desktop (for assignments)

What I need:
High DPI scaling
Multi touch gestures on touchpad
Optimus support
Very customizable UI
Secureboot compatible
Fast startup times (W10 is on the desktop in 2.3 seconds)
Compatiblity with NX desktop

I also really like how pic related looks, I assume it is KDE. So I am leaning towards Kubuntu.

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.
>>
>>53436253
>Kubuntu
Nah that one's not in a good shape right now. I recommend installing Gentoo
>>
File: 1368994737725.jpg (45 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
1368994737725.jpg
45 KB, 500x356
Unless kubuntu got a lot better recently, use some other distro's kde implementation.
Opensuse maybe.
>>
Just install manjaro then
>>
>>53436253
Ubuntu mate
>>
>Optimus support
>multi touch gesture support
>Lenovo with linux post-touchpad

Good luck. You might just want to go with Ubuntu because of how well-supported it is.
>>
Use the latest version of Ubuntu
>>
Good luck
>>
Just install Ubuntu LTS straight from the Canonical website. Same botnet, better performance, similar to Windows 10, no random automatic updates.
>>
>>53436253
>having an Optimus laptop

dont bother installing linux

just downgrade to windows 7
>>
>he's literally too stupid to postpone an update in Windows 10, a system made for literal, not figurative, retards
l-m-a-o
>>
I am also tired of Windows, especially after this 10 BS. Tried all distros while using Windows and found out that LinuxMint is a good alternative outside of Ubuntu.

Give it a try; be careful with Optimus and Linux. You may need to do some special tweaking, but Google is your friend in that case.
>>
>>53436253
Too dumb to save work before obvious update prompt, or turn off updates. Good luck with Linux bro
>>
>>53436253
I installed Ubuntu GNOME on an XPS 13 with the 3200x1800px screen. DPI scaling works very well once you boot to the login screen, though GRUB by default uses the native resolution which results in tiny text. You can change the GRUB resolution to fix that, just set it at 1600x900 or whatever half-resolution applies to your device.
I've never used a laptop with hybrid graphics so I've no idea how well it works, but I've only seen support posts for it (I think the software to support dual graphics with Nvidia cards is called Bumblebee). Some say it works, others seemingly have endless issues with them. As with everything in the Linux world, expect plenty of Works On My Machine.
Worked fine with secure boot enabled, I had to add the boot option manually in my UEFI settings.
If you have a Broadcom wifi chip, prepare for pain or replace with an Intel 7265 card which is generally well supported in Linux, some say they have better throughput and range too compared to Broadcom cards.
>>
>>53436521

I never said I didn't have my work saved, and I had all my updates set to defer. It gave me zero warning.

Are there any other distros that support secureboot besides Ubuntu?
>>
>>53436253
Good, you sound retarded OP, there is a button to tell it to restart later if your working, and if you left your computer on without saving like a retard overnight then I'm glad you lost your work
>>
>>53436551
You must have clicked through the settings without reading when setting up windows, I get a prompt every time. Literally as easy as clicking settings and updates.
>>
>>53436253
>High DPI scaling
Use SVG icon set.
>Multi touch gestures on touchpad
Install and configure synaptics drivers (xf86-input-synaptics).
>Fast startup times (W10 is on the desktop in 2.3 seconds)
Cheat and hibernate.
>>
>>53436253
Choose one OP:
Deepin Linux
Linux Mint
Ubuntu
Elementary
Manjaro (not Ubuntu-based)
>>
>>53436551
look
whenever you have an update scheduled, it'll warn you before you approach that time (an hour prior to the update i think)
you get a full screen announcement asking you to either change the time the update will be installed or just wait for it.
how did you miss that
>>
Op if you're expecting Linux to be easier to use then Windows then prepare to be disappointed. It sounds like you need something easy like ios
>>
>>53436491
>>53436521
>>53436559

All the salt! Could just appreciate someone is willing to join the Linux community. We need more people!

>>53436659
Don't think he is expecting "easy". OP, just know that it isn't "easy", but you do get freedom. It's all on how you use it, bro.
>>
>>53436521

Amen
>>
>>53436706
Muh freedom, free all day to Google answers or search through wiki's. I admit it's cool on my raspberry pi but fuck using it for actual work totally not time efficient.
>>
>>53436253
Gnome Ubuntu or go home.
>>
Use Debian, Mint, or Ubuntu. Unitys nice and you can get KDE on the others easy
>>
>>53436743
>look mum i posted it again
>>
>>53436253
Don't listen to the Mint shill. >>53436776 Mint has never been good.
And don't fall for the winbabby duck syndrome, use Gnome.
>>
>>53436659
I am not expecting it to be easy, I just want more control over what my computer is doing.

And the update was to a new build, I have never gotten an update warning for a new W10 builds, it just restarts. Normal W10 updates give me a warning. I also do not like how much it is eating into my bandwidth, even with antibeacon it is using some of my bandwidth.
>>
>>53436793
Solid rebuttal, so knowledgeable
>>
>>53436743
Hey, even riding an R9 or flying a F-22 takes time, practice, and a few fuck-ups.

But once you master it or come close... i know guys making six figures as Linux Admins from toying with Linux anything.
>>
>>53436765
What's the difference between Ubuntu gnome and Ubuntu mate?
>>
>>53436860
Yeah those dirty smelly basement neckbeards who all seem to be good at Linux make 6 figures, and not the corporate execs that all use Windows or the faggy famous artists that use iOS...
>>
File: Converted_file_b69f7904.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Converted_file_b69f7904.webm
3 MB, 480x360
All memes aside, I recommend just installing Ubuntu Unity. I really enjoy Unity, and you can make it look good. Yes, KDE is good, but Kubuntu is utter shit. It has a large repository, is stable, good support, and I have never run into issues. Libre Office is another good alternative to word too. It also starts super duper fast. If NX Desktop isn't available on Linux, hopefully it'll work through wine. And for reference, I'm running a Lenovo Yoga 13 (2012) (base model) and I can use my multi gesture and touchscreen just fine. I am attaching a webm to show you my setup and running certain things (sorry for poor quality as 4chan only allows 3MB size webm files). I'm really happy with Ubuntu Unity. Also, as far as using Linux and learning it, I suggest reading things, watching a few videos, and just learning from your own experience. Also, if you run into an issue on Ubuntu, chances are others have too, so just google it and you should find the fix instantly. I'm not really sure what to add, but feel free to ask anything and I'll be happy to and try my best to answer.
>>
>>53436932
Multiple routes to big money, whether it be through true, recognized technical skills or people skills with persuasion.
>>
>>53436897
Mate forked off of Gnome 2 and looks and feels largely the same, Ubuntu Gnome is using Gnome 3, which is very different.
>>
>>53436253
Try Ubuntu,Kubuntu,Opensuse. I'm using Manjaro but you have a lot better PC. If I was you I would just install Windows 7 and continue with your projects.
>>
>>53436307
>>53436315
>>53436345
>>53436365
I'm tired of /g/ memeing. Just use fucking kubuntu and be happy. If you will not like it try ubuntu or xubunutu
>>
>>53436425
>just downgrade to windows 7
I think you ment

Clean install Windows 7 and breath a sigh of relife, the nightmare is over.

I'd avoid linux without having that as a backup.
>>
>>53437032
>using the mouse for opening applications
please learn how to use hotkeys before you start uploading videos of your desktop
>>
>>53437298
sorry
>>
File: 1442966506948.png (674 KB, 1100x702) Image search: [Google]
1442966506948.png
674 KB, 1100x702
>>53436253
Nig nog that's Manjaro not Kubuntu.

Though you'd probably do best with Kubuntu if you don't mind Ubuntu itself.
>>
Just install Ubuntu for your first Linux

Now fuck off
>>
KDE is great, Kubuntu is shit.

KDE is divided into three segments: Plasma (the DE itself), Applications and Frameworks.

Ubuntu has a habit of mixing the wrong Plasma version with the wrong Applications version and the wrong Frameworks version, so everything is buggy and crash-prone.

This problem should be fixed by the arrival of KDE Neon, which is expected to be released.......... eventually?
>>
>>53436823
>use gnome
opinion discarded, don't even have to note that Mint performs better than pretty much every other major distro on everything barring graphics stuff
>>
>>53437669
>citation needed
>>
>>53436253
Currently using kubuntu and it's really great
one thing about KDE though is it takes a bit of time to start (I've never used any windows after 7 so I have nothing to compare it to, but of all the DEs I've used, it takes the longest)

Give kubuntu a try but if you think it's too slow to start for your liking, try xubuntu or lubuntu
>>
Go with manjaro senpai.
>>
>>53436551
I am confused OP. why do you not want ubuntu? it has the best support etc out of all of them. you're not going ot like linux lol. you're e3xpecting way too much and seem to just be mad over something dumb.
>>
>>53437032
What program did you used to record this?
>>
>>53438981
SimpleScreenRecorder

http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/
>>
>>53436253
>Optimus support
Good luck trying to make these working. Kernel doesnt, and maybe will never, Nvidia Optimus you can use PRIME or Bumblebee but you wont have same experience.

There's no reason to install *buntu on an hardware built to run Windows.
Just downgrade to Windows 8.1
>>
>>53436253
If you want a good KDE experience and don't go with kubuntu, if you're new and really want KDE out of the box go with manjaro kde, Ubuntu might be easier because it's got more "newibe" oriented support, but manjaro is preety easy to use, might have a slower learning curve, but it's still preety easy.

You could install your / and /home folder on different partitions and try a distro for a while, when you feel like change it you can just change the root partition, that way you can play with different distros without making a full whipe everytime you wanna try a new one.
>>
>>53437196
>someone posted a distro i dont like
>must be a meme
>>53436253
slackware or alpine
>>
>>53439268
>slackware
>first distro

You want OP to become a drakeposter, don't you?
>>
>>53436253
slackware
>>
>>53436253
slackware is probably the most user friendly one
>>
>>53436253
if i had to recommend one distro i would go with slackware
>>
>>53437196
But Kubuntu is a poor choice because it isn't using up to date qt libraries, which makes everything run very poorly.
>>
>>53436825
Yeah i agree that forced update whatever is annoying. i don't dislike linux. I prefer some things about it. But it truly doesn't have as good sfotware and certain things. But you can always dual boot.

But if I were you maybe try ubuntu gnome or even unity. I am not one to ever mention unity but it may have what you're looking for.Also note that /g/ makes a lot of things sound way worse than they really are.
>>
>>53436253
slackware is by far the best
>>
>>53436253
you definitely dont want ubuntu go with slackware
>>
>>53436825
You can set WHEN it'll be restart after an update, if you set Windows Update to reboot your laptop at 3AM to install update it's not Microsoft fault but yours.
>>
>>53436253
Install Arch, or Manjaro if you're a mongol and can't be arsed to install Arch.
>>
>>53436253
slackware
>>
>>53436253
LFS
>>
What distro/environment/theme is used in ops picture?
>>
>>53436253
>Fast startup times (W10 is on the desktop in 2.3 seconds)
that's because it's not fully shutting down
>>
>>53437196
OpenSuse and Manjaro are perfectly fine beginner distros. So is Xubuntu. So is Fedora if you don't want/need any non-free shit, otherwise it's probably best to avoid it for now. So is Mint, though I personally just liked the look and feel of Manjaro Xfce over Mint Xfce.

My advice would be to try different ones out (I'd say start with either Mint or Manjaro). Most Linux users hop around at some point anyway. I originally thought that Arch was the one I'd end up using and loving, but once I installed it and used it a little, I realized I hated it. I've actually ended up loving OpenBSD (not a Linux distro in case you don't know) and that's what I use for serious work. Based on what you've said you want/need, I can pretty much guarantee that it's not the OS for you.

Word of advice though, take some time to learn a little about manually partitioning your hdd/ssd. Gparted is easy to use and get the hang of. These days a lot of distros try to put everything on one big partition. I guess that's fine, at least until shit gets fucked. At the very least you should keep /home on it's own partition. That is all your personal files and settings. You can keep it if you need to reinstall, or want to try a different distro, and this will save you a lot of headaches. You can also use it with multiple distros at once, if you dual-boot.

I like to keep /var, and /usr separate as well, especially /var; /usr can be problematic in some distros. /tmp used to be separate too, but these days most distros default to /tmpfs anyway, so it's a non-issue.

Also, stick with whatever file system is the default for your distro for now. If you don't know why you might benefit from choosing a different one, then you probably shouldn't.
>>
>>53439587
Manjaro
KDE Plasma 5
Breeze Dark
>>
>>53439602
This is true. part hibernate. I learned this with dual boot. it wouldn't mount because it said was in hibernation. so i change quick shutdown and all was well
>>
>>53436478
Windows is way harder to use than a unix-like OS. Not even him.
>>
>>53437032
Well I literally just installed Ubuntu thirty minutes ago and I was wondering how you got the roundish look on the tool bar, or if you can just the software you used to make your Unity DE look like that. Thank you man :)
>>
>>53439605
I assume you don't need manjaro to get the theme looking like this right? You would just install KDE and use the breeze theme?
>>
>>53439605
>My nigga

However, I don't recommend using an arch based distro for a first time user. Ubuntu has a much better community for help. Mostly because first time users search "How do I (x) Manjaro?" instead of "How do I (x) Arch?"
>>
>>53439708
Yes.
>>
>>53439679
my icons are Numix Circle https://github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme-circle

My theme is Flatabulous https://github.com/anmoljagetia/Flatabulous

And I customized ubuntu with Unity-Tweak-Tool
>>
>>53439714
I agree
>>
>>53439679
Oh, and a cursor I recommend over the stock one is this one http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ubuntu+OS+X+Cursors?content=174526
>>
>>53439732
Alright thanks
>>
>down for one hour
>Installs Ubuntu
>crashes every hour

Pick your poison, anon.
>>
Reminder that you are using GNU, not "Linux".
>>
>>53439803
Never have I had Ubuntu crash.
>>
>>53439803
>look at me I've never used linux but I need to defend my "choice" of OS
>>
>>53439814
I have. a few times.

Mostly because i was using a amd card, and the only way i could get the hdmi output to my TV to work, was to use the proprietary catalyst drivers. The shit couldn't stretch the image properly, and it was always a fucking pain.

Other than that, not really.

This was 12.04
>>
>>53439803
>Installing Ubuntu.
>Not installing Elementary
>>
>>53439927
AMD's shit-tier drivers is why I stopped buying their crap. If they can't be fucked to develop decent drivers for linux then they won't get my shekels.
>>
File: 1456271270443.gif (91 KB, 634x400) Image search: [Google]
1456271270443.gif
91 KB, 634x400
>>53439813
Manjaro is not GNU, it's GNU/Linux. It's just a variant of GNU
>>
File: whatsgnu.jpg (68 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
whatsgnu.jpg
68 KB, 398x500
>>53439813
>>
>>53439927
>12.04

that's the problem lol
>>
>>53437032
Super silly question but how to make it look that way?
>>
>>53439962

>IbetStallmanDidThis.jpg
>>
>>53439977
my icons are Numix Circle https://github.com/numixproject/numix-icon-theme-circle

My theme is Flatabulous https://github.com/anmoljagetia/Flatabulous

Oh, and a cursor I recommend over the stock one is this one http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Ubuntu+OS+X+Cursors?content=174526

And I customized ubuntu with Unity-Tweak-Tool
>>
File: tumblr_m88a7rauRF1ql2603o1_500.jpg (109 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m88a7rauRF1ql2603o1_500.jpg
109 KB, 500x384
Ubuntu is really great on laptops, you can have the menus on the title bar to save vertical space, the HUD is unbeatable, you can scroll on top of the icon to navigate through open windows, and stick with LTS releases.
>>
>>53439989
Looks comfy anon. But I'd still stick to KDE.
KDE is VERY configurable and has tons of features.
I'd still consider unity if it had a decent default file chooser
>>
>>53439972

I assumed so, but it was the only one I could even get to recognize the HDMI port with the proprietary drivers. Debian did a way better job and I just stuck with that, and everything was fine from that point on.
>>
>>53440006
I prefer Nautilus over Dolphin, but to each their own. That's the beauty of GNU/Linux, there's always a choice or option. And you can also install a different file chooser.
>>
>>53440022
Whatever works for you! Not here to hate on one platform or another, we all use things that work for us, and have different experience on other things! :)
>>
>>53440051
:)
>>
>>53439989
Thanks mate. One more silly question if I may ... how do you install the cursors.
>>
>>53440359
I'll make you a webm :)
>>
File: Converted_file_e953fca1.webm (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Converted_file_e953fca1.webm
3 MB, 1600x900
>>53440359
Here you go! Also, you do not need to put the numix icons in the .icons folder if you installed via the ppa. Also, you have to make the .icons folder in your home folder, and to get flatabulous to work, you need to make a .themes folder in your home folder and put it in there. If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer and help! :)
>>
>>53436253
oh god, this is some quality bait
>>
>>53440844
How is this bate? It looks like a general question.
>>
>>53440861
>im too stupid for linux, and my HIGHLY important work wasn't able to happen for a whole HOURRRRR
>ok /g/, now spoonfeed me, im thinking i should use UBUNTU
fucking ubuntu

>those laptop specs
>the list of bullshit gimmicks he needs
you can tell he's about 19
he is way too self important

also, he plays games
fucking degenerate
>>
>>53440888
Nothing is wrong with Ubuntu you cuck.
>>
>>53440917
bloat, insane defaults, retarded developers, no concern for your privacy at all, the package manager is ultra slow and generally fucked, the system requirements are way too high
op would be better off staying with windows
>>
Seriously try mint. It's the best intro distro. I use cinnamon mint. I don't care about arch or Gentoo or redhat. If you want the easiest, most preconfigured distro that will do most everything out of the box, just go with mint. It's just easy and a great way to get familiar with the Linux environment. I miss the older versions that had way more rice but that's something you probably wouldn't care about anyway. Lol.
>>
>>53440494
Thanks again. Play on Linux is the way if you want to run some games and Office or?
>>
>>53440971
It depends. For some games that don't need to be installed (aka, games from igg), wine will work fine, for instance, broforce, but yeah, playonlinux is the best way to do it for installing things, as you'll see with photoshop. Libre Office is fine for your office though. I'll make a webm to show you wine and playonlinux.
>>
File: Converted_file_84cb877b.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Converted_file_84cb877b.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>53440971
Here's the webm. Sorry for the lower quality, it's a longer webm, and 4chan only allows 3MB file size for webm's.
>>
>>53440494
Damn. Your setup is nice! 10/10
>>
>>53439900
Oh anon, I've used Ubuntu, #!, Debian, Arch, Manjaro, Elementary, Tails, and Fedora. I love them all. But claiming they are stable is simply a lie.
>>
>>53441185
Thanks! :)
>>
disable windows update you dumb ass
>>
>>53440971
playonlinux is a wine frontend and thats all really. i couldn't figure it out because im too used to actually using wine directly through terminal but i would recommend you use it
>>
>>53436253
>High DPI scaling
>Optimus support

I have bad news for you.
I give you two days before returning to Windows.
>>
>>53439672
[Citation needed]
>>
Unlike Windows 10, Windows 7 and 8.1 still give you the ability to turn off automatic updates, so just upgrade to one of those earlier versions.
>>
>>53437032
hey kevin
>>
>>53442461
I used Windows for over a decade and then switched to GNU/Linux. Spent a few years on Debian, and now I'm on Arch. It's all much easier to use than Windows. There's more documentation, more meaningful error messages, better logging, things are more logical, the CLI actually makes sense, etc.
>>
Fedora KDE
>>
Mint - or get ready to kill yourself when you realize others have no idea about what user friendly and user interface is.
>>
>>53436253
Well you are gonna waste more time fiddling with linux software than installing windows updates.

It's not worth it to switch to Linux, nothing just werks. Yesterday I was going to install Skype on Mint and of course the instructions were 2 pages long, sudo apt-get install skype or just clicking download on their web page isn't enough to get it working.
>>
>>53436425
this tbhq f a m
>>
>>53444240
> 2010+6
> using skype
Your fault, Microsoft will do everything they can to harm your Linux experience.
>>
>>53444339
it's not really his fault his girlfriend or boyfriend is a pleb
>>
File: 1456453312347.png (71 KB, 412x433) Image search: [Google]
1456453312347.png
71 KB, 412x433
>>53444240
Hahahaha
>>
>>53444339
Why the fuck would i care about corporate politics? I just need something that works
>>
>>53436253
Linux doesn't support optimus.
Your battery life will be scrotum.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/
>>
>>53445160
Good sales pitch, rajesh. 5 more bing points for you
>>
>>53445170
Because pointing out reality is problematic to linux users.

Try and refute me, you can't.
>>
>>53445190
Try harder next time
>>
>>53436253
Honestly if you just need something that works and you don't have time to throw around learning at a steep curve, Linux Mint
+For most systems optimus works out of the box.
+You will be comfortable with the UI
+Most things just werk
+Ubuntu reps so lots of applications will run from the package manager
+Easy to install.

-Not very customisable.
-Not a meme distro, so you can't call yourself an edgelord.

Kubuntu or Xubuntu are probably good options as well.

If you are prepared for a steep learning curve and just want customisation then arch or gentoo or one of the other flashy distros.
>>
>>53445190
>Because pointing out reality is problematic to linux users.

Ooh you sure showed me, rajesh.
>>
>>53436253
Just use 7, retard
>>
>>53439192
Multi-touch works flawlessly on Ubuntu, although I don't know exactly how
>>
>>53442501
Hi
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.