[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sony vegas >photoshop >c# >autocad >illustrator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: linux.png (173 KB, 795x1021) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
173 KB, 795x1021
>sony vegas
>photoshop
>c#
>autocad
>illustrator
>microsoft office
>games
>...etc
What do people even do on linux? Do you just spend all your free time trying to look like a hacker in console (btw if your OS still requires you to console when GUIs have been a thing for 15 years now then it is garbage)? Don't you people have jobs?
>>
File: Muh_why_Linux_suckzzzDDD.png (2 MB, 807x6544) Image search: [Google]
Muh_why_Linux_suckzzzDDD.png
2 MB, 807x6544
>>53402219
Wow 4 threads already
Microsoft is really desperate today
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (83 KB, 1440x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
83 KB, 1440x480
>>53402219
>>sony vegas
Back to youtube, technigger
>>photoshop
AYY
>>c#
Spotted the rajesh. Discarded for being clueless
>>autocad
Lack of auto desk and creo products is a valid drawback
>>illustrator
AYY
>>microsoft office
AYY
>>games
>>>/v/. Go tell mommy to buy you a toy. I hear PS4 is quite good

Also understand that Linux (for PCs) is not for mass or common folks
>>
>>53403194
>when will muh Linux be popular? >When will everyone realize how cool and free it is?

>Linux is not for normies

You freeware are hypocritical trash.
>>
>>53403253
>Linux is not for normies
Prove me wrong, babby prajeet
>>
>>53403194
>gives no alternatives
what was the point of this post?
>>
>>53403092
>implying Microsoft gives a shit about one of the most tech illiterate places on the internet
>>
File: Screenshot_20160309_181517.png (254 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160309_181517.png
254 KB, 1366x768
>>53403305
>alternative
Look for yourself, not here to spoonfeed you
>>
File: hurrDurrNoBroadcom.png (266 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
hurrDurrNoBroadcom.png
266 KB, 1366x768
>>53402219
I SWEAR TO GOD
>THESE INDIANS
>>
>>53403384
Yeah thats after you installed the driver retard
>>53403355
Why should I spend time looking for alternatives when I already have things working
>>
>>53403439
>ubuntu comes with drivers because non-free
>others don't come with drivers because it's free software, no proprietary by default

can't you just learn this? it's not supported simply because it doesn't ship with it. windows would be the same way if it wasn't shipped with it, dicknugget
>>
>>53403439
>Yeah thats after you installed the driver retard

>>checking "using broadcom" and hitting apply changes
>>required internet

WEW LAD, JUST WEW
>>
>>53402219
I code C at my job and my games are playable on linux.

Is that enough?
>>
>>53402219
>OS requires you to console
Tbh senpai outside of really advanced distros, most of the functionality of a linux distro can be pretty much completed in the GUI. Terminal environments are either used for power-user functionalities or just used to work faster (I type faster than I mouseclick).
>implying "normal" computer users utilize any OS features that can't be pretty much completely replicated in a GUI environment
>games
Emulation isn't handicapped on linux distros, Steam has many linux games, and nothing's stopping you from buying a console outside of your reliance on your mother's wallet.
>everything else
Open source software is varied and can pretty closely match the functionality of everything you mentioned for none of the cost.
>>
File: Muhh_photoshop.png (136 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Muhh_photoshop.png
136 KB, 1366x768
>>53403194
Also, r8
>>
>>53403536
>muh wine
>>
>>53403854
>File name >>53403536
>>
>>53402219
Why would I want to use any of that software? They all subjugate their users. Except for a small fraction of the games.
>>
>>53403318
>implying microsoft products aren't specifically designed for tech illiterates
>>
I remember when /g/ used to discard non-linux opinions

How did this board get so many windows kids?
>>
>>53403915
/v/ spillover
>>
File: 1457145015752.png (862 KB, 1406x1568) Image search: [Google]
1457145015752.png
862 KB, 1406x1568
>>53403906
You literally can't argue this
>>
The fact that you think all computers require a GUI puts you in the retard category. You're better off not knowing or caring what Linux is or why it exists. Go pick grass while the other team scores.
>>
File: 8149-thumbnail.jpg (10 KB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
8149-thumbnail.jpg
10 KB, 150x113
>>53403915

I use all three operating systems on a day-in-day-out basis and know the strengths and weaknesses of each one. Linux excels at being a server, and is also decent enough at being a hobbyist programming platform.

Desktop Linux, on the other hand, is a fucking bad joke. Always has been, always will be, the only difference is how much the various desktop environments manage to piss off hobbyists at a particular moment in time. If you're not accessing your Linux boxes remotely through SSH in a console-only session, you're doing it 100% wrong and should probably seriously re-evaluate your life choices.
>>
>>53403355

Until the programs crash Wine and no one will support you because you're using Wine.

Plus, given how the Oracle vs Google suit is turning out, Wine is not long for this world.
>>
>>53404117

What does it mean when people say Linux is good for programming, or "a good platform for programming"? Don't you just need an IDE to program? What does the OS have to do with it?
>>
>>53403284
that's perfect for a normie faggot.
Simple DE, customizable as he wants, easily to maintain up to date, retard proof (he won't install a malware), and works on any machine even old ones.
If that's not good for normies I don't know why.
What a normie do : facebook, shitpost, listen to music, watch a movie, a video on youtube.
>>
>>53404310
never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>replying to a fucking paid MS troll
GODDAMN IT YOU FUCKING DUMB /g/ KIDS

REPORT THESE FUCKING THREADS AND DON'T REPLY
>>
>>53404235
>What does it mean when people say Linux is good for programming, or "a good platform for programming"?

It's easier to go from zero to a functioning programming environment on Linux. Sometimes way easier - the language you want to use might even be installed by the OS by default.

It's also way easier to start out - instead of diving headfirst into an labyrinthine IDE, you can usually get off the ground with a normal text editor, a compiler invocation, and maybe a Makefile. You can do things the easy way with Windows too, but in my experience getting your environment set up on Windows is never as smooth as it is on Linux.

Linux (and other *NIX environments) also have the advantage that interfacing with the operating system itself is much easier than on Windows. Just compare your average POSIX function signature to your average labyrinthine Win32 function signature, it's like night and day.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.