[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the ubuntu hate? Unity is rock solid, I can't remember
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
Why the ubuntu hate?

Unity is rock solid, I can't remember the last time it crashed (was it in 11.10?) and It's generally stable as fuck without being ancient.
>>
File: IMG_20160302_005210.jpg (36 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160302_005210.jpg
36 KB, 612x380
>>53401279
>linux
>>
>>53401279
lol
>>
>>53401279
>it doesn't crash so that means it's good
>>
>>53401279
It's ugly and bloated
>>
>>53401312
>you used to call me on my dildo
>>
>>53401279
Ubuntu is great
Unity is shit

This neo-/g/ meme where distro = display manager/desktop environment/window manager needs to stop now
>>
>>53401312
>>53401345
there's a board dedicated to shitposting you know
>>>/s4s/
also a daily reminder to update your drake image md5 filters
>>
File: 1306169832039.png (60 KB, 176x147) Image search: [Google]
1306169832039.png
60 KB, 176x147
>>53401279

>unity is rock solid
>KDE neon desktop

come on, man.
>>
>>53401354
this
unity is complete unintuitive shit
>>
>>53401279
Last time I tried it, 15.04 I think it was, it ran at what must have been <15FPS on my setup. Didn't even try to see what the fuck was wrong, beyond trying the free and proprietary drivers, that shit was just disgusting.
>>
>>53401401

An artifact after installing KDE Neon, which I forgot to remove.
>>
>>53401414
>measuring system/OS performance in FPS

I want /v/ to leave
>>
>>53401436
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53401473
>Last time I tried it [...], it (ubuntu) ran at what must have been <15 FPS
>>
Because Arch/Manjaro are simply better.

I keep a live *buntu iso around for when shit goes down though
>>
>>53401490
I know what I said. Now, are you retarded?

Do you think a graphical user interface doesn't draw a certain number of frames each second?
>>
>>53401521

What setup do you have?
>>
>>53401521
>Ubuntu = graphical user interface
Retard alert
>>
>>53401279
>Unity is rock solid
MEME
E
M
E
>>
>>53401688
>Ubuntu
>Unity
>Unity is mentioned in the OP
So yes, retarded then.

>>53401667
290X CF with 3 monitors and a 4770K back then, there was really no reason for such poor performance other than some weird as fuck bug, it only happened with Unity. I ended up with Kubuntu because it had the smoothest performance in the end.
>>
>>53401825
>"word appear in thread OP therefore you're stupid"
Retard alert
>>
Nice wallpaper famalia.
Sauce?
>>
>>53401852
I see I need to spell it out for you, then. If you cannot make the connection between my post talking about graphical performance and the DE mentioned in the post I was directly replying to, then you are stupid.

I mean, I reply talking about frame rate and your logical assumption is that I'm referring to the OS and not the DE, despite both being mentioned in the post I'm replying to. You're stupid or at the very least seriously lacking in reading comprehension, sorry. You could've just said you misinterpreted my post, but no, despite being wrong you're still acting like an idiot. You must actually be an idiot then.
>>
>>53401279
Alright, I'll bite. I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.
Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!
>>
File: 1432362289602.jpg (434 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1432362289602.jpg
434 KB, 2560x1600
>>53401952
>>
>>53401956
>trying to backpedal this much
>measuring OS performance in FPS
>measuring FPS without actually measuring FPS, just guessing numbers
Retard alert
>>
>>53401965
>Ubuntu is bad because it's just a distro and not a contributing community
I don't fucking care, I just want a well-polished distro that just fucking works.
>>
>>53401521
But you didn't actually count number of frames per second, you just pulled a random number out your ass....
>>
>>53401279
Unity sucks. I changed back to Gnome classic, now I use full compiz with all fancy features and effects. Just like in the old days.

Other than that, Ubuntu is pretty cool phamalam.
>>
>>53401965
>So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.

I never said that they innovate

>Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories.

I think everybody knows that

> This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is.

Nobody thinks that

> In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.

Than I had a much better experience than you did, in fact it's the least toxic Linux community I have encountered so far.

>If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

tried most of them with various DEs and they always had really annoying bugs and limitations for desktop usage and generally always felt incomplete.
>>
I will really impressed with Ubuntu yesterday. I needed to use a Linux distro for a particular task, so I put a live cd iso onto a USB and rebooted the computer. I shit you not I was browsing Firefox within 12 seconds.
>>
>>53402186
Firefox sux
>>
File: 1389709898421.jpg (64 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1389709898421.jpg
64 KB, 1024x768
>>53401279
Because it's inherently shit. It's shit by design.
It's a copy of OS X without understanding why OS X sort of works.

They tried to MAKE it look simple, when in reality it's not simple to use.
And they've reverted back changes because the majority of users ended up using Unity Tweaker to make those changes anyway.
So they admitted defeat when it comes to at least some of the bad decisions they made like overlay scrollbars and fixed dock.
Cinnamon and MATE wouldn't even exist if Unity wasn't such a steaming pile of poorly thought out garbage.
>>
>the weekly "unity is not that bad i swear!" thread
>>
>>53402138
Ubuntu does make custom patches, a big one being fonts.
>>
>>53401965
> Nice desktop OS
> OpenSUSE

lol nice one
>>
Unity looks like shit imo and just eats away at resources

Also a bunch of stuff I didn't ask for comes pre-installed
>>
Yeah, I love unity, that's why I installed it on my arch setup.
>>
>>53401354
What distro comes with a wm only?

Afaik they always come with either nothing or a DE
>>
>>53401496
Which one of those two would you say is better?
>>
>>53401965
>>53401965
A: xorg vs xfree86 was a political decision, not a technical one. Eventually xorg did improve technically, but that was many years after the split.

B: networkmanager is a pile of shit that overcomplicates everything to make sure it covers a few edge cases that don't occur in 99.9% of servers, and probably 90% of desktops. The simple way of handling networking works better, but isn't identical across those edge conditions.

C: Ubuntu supports its releases, both regular and LTS. You can buy support for it from Ubuntu. Fedora isn't supported, it's meant to be leading edge to test out new ideas. They're both desktop distros, but they server very different purposes.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.