[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's happening. The best linux distro meets the best OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: debian_tattoo.jpg (41 KB, 648x429) Image search: [Google]
debian_tattoo.jpg
41 KB, 648x429
It's happening. The best linux distro meets the best OS
>>
>>53399289
GoboLinux/Plan9?
>>
>>53399289
elaborate
>>
>>53399289
arbuntu? genbuntu? Red Gentoo Enterprise SuSE?
>>
>>53399289
Debian and Ubuntu?
>>
>embrace, extend, extinguish
>>
>Step 1: Get Murdock to kill himself
>Step 2: Acquire Debian
>Step 3: Total Annihilation.
>>
File: 0984954.gif (2 MB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
0984954.gif
2 MB, 200x133
>>53399743
> arbuntu
Damn that would cool
>>
>>53399289
Gentoo GNU/Linux?
>>
>>53399289
>The best linux distro meets the best OS
I am unclear. You just said the best Linux distro meets Linux. Could you explain?
>>
>>53399289
I think OP is talking about this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/09/microsoft_sonic_debian/
>>
>>53403302
>he thinks Linux is an OS
>>
So is Debian still good or is it owned by crazies now? Worth installing? I'm installing loonux soon
>>
>>53399289
Windarch?
>>
>>53403780
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
>>
>>53403817
Nice meme.
>>
Systemd, Ian, Microsft, and who knows what else. I'm really worried about the future. I love Debian testing, leaving it would be horrible. I guess there's always Arch, Ubuntu, or Gentoo.
>>
>>53403810
Debian is infested with hippies and purple hairs. Arch, Gentoo, Fedora, and Ubuntu are all you need to know.
>>
>>53403834
Why not Devuan?
It is already pretty usable even in alpha stage, Im using testing repoz too
>>
>>53403834
>Ubuntu
That's based on Debian.
>>
>>53403834
Slackware 14.2 is coming out soon.
>>
>>53403904
Yes, but if one's getting botnet, one might as well get Amazon botnet. Besides, Ubuntu with GNOME or xfce is super comfy.
>>
File: nX0xfSd.png (402 KB, 469x498) Image search: [Google]
nX0xfSd.png
402 KB, 469x498
>>53404038
>GNOME
>>
Artoo?
>>
>>53404074
GNOME 3 is fantastic and should be considered the DE that represents the current state of desktop linux
>>
File: Carmack-Rift.jpg (49 KB, 610x347) Image search: [Google]
Carmack-Rift.jpg
49 KB, 610x347
>>53404139
>>
>>53404194
>>53404194
I'm serious, it's not perfect, but is sleek and easily customizable. Probably its biggest flaw is the existence of the dconf editor. The fact that you can install plugins just by visiting the gnome website and clicking the on switch is a shining example of the direction linux should be going in.
>>
>>53404236
>>
>>53404074
>>53404194
>>53404257
What a smug bastard
>>
>>53403810
>now

Read up on the original owner of Debian, he was as crazy as it gets next to Temple OS
>>
>>53403852
>Fedora
Thats even closer to the red hat cancer than debian
>>
>>53403834
Why would you be upset about Ian? It's been over a decade since he had anything to do with Debian. This is simply part of Microsoft's embrace extend extinguish ideology. I think they got their feelings hurt when nobody gave a shit about Mono.
>>
>>53403810
Debian hasn't changed, it hasn't introduced some "cool" new feature like Ubuntu has.

>Worth installing
Perfect for daily use.
>>
>>53404139
I kinda have this love-hate relationship with GNOME 3
I guess it's much better now than it was some 2, 3 years ago when it was next to unusable bugfest
>>
>>53403817
>>53403302
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53403780
go to bed, stallman
>>
>>53403834
Why would you use testing when Ubuntu exists, senpai?
>>
>>53402205
Total annihilation is best game
>>
Linus Torvalds has won.
>>
using anything Debian based is stupid
using a package manager other than pkgsrc is stupid
modern gnome and kde are stupid
>>
>>53407861
>Compiling packages
>2016
ishygddt
>>
>>53407964
someone compiles your packages for you, numb-nuts. besides, pkgsrc also has the best quarterly bulk-build system in the business
>>
>>53407980
Not on my architecture.
>>
MAKE LINUX GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>53408002
so if you don't compile packages, and you don't use pre-compiled binaries, then you don't use any programs?
>>
>>53403834
Just fork an older version of a different distro, like the last Ubuntu releases without systemd. Same goes for Debian and Fedora.

That or just use an older distro like Linux Mint 16 or something.
>>
All Microsoft is doing is creating switch software to run on Debian. Nothing Cisco/Mikrotik/any other switch has already done.
This has little to no effect on the actual linux kernel and debian packages.
>>
>>53403810
It's the best for me. I've used it extensively at home and at work, so I know the ins and outs of it. I run multiple virtualization servers with debian testing and plethora of other debian instances at home, at work and at our cabin.

I've used a lot of distros and used to change distros every once in a while, but in practice in the last three years I've only installed debian linux-wise.

Naturally it's not the perfect tool for everything (I run freebsd on NAS and firewall), but it's quite good generally.
>>
>>53402603
The ultimate entry-level Linux. Just easy enough to use to be enticing while just hard enough to maintain to be worthwhile.

I'd call it gateway
>>
I won't abandon Debian just because Microsoft used it in one of their projects. I will stay loyal to my beloved distro, which made who I am today. Debian has given me life.
>>
Debian testing + OpenRC = best OS known to man.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53399289
Debian/Hurd?
>>
>>53399390
>muh harmful software
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.