[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you move from learning about transistors to making basic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1398370970910.jpg (34 KB, 278x278) Image search: [Google]
1398370970910.jpg
34 KB, 278x278
how do you move from learning about transistors to making basic logic gates to something like C and opengl?

Everything I google on youtube comes as electronic homebrew where I lack the materials on minecraft videos.

I just want to learn.
>>
>>53389479
I know C and OpenGL, and I have no idea what capacitors are or how to build a basic electronic circuit on a breadboard.

They're not really connected.
>>
Try to find some info on a Program Counter machine. That's the step between Logic gates and sort of coding (opcodes in this case). Next is assembly. Then that gets abstracted into low-level languages such as C.
>>
>>53389556
I just want to learn anon.

I'm not in college but wanna know the steps behind C.

>>53389575
It's there any book on what I'm asking about?
>>
>>53389582
The step below C is assembly language, which is literally mnemonic language for machine code.
Below that, you're effectively playing with really really complex arrangements of logic gates made from transistors.

Its really not all that exciting once you understand the component parts.
>>
>>53389582
Microcontrollers: From Assembly Language to C Using the PIC24 Family

This is the book we used in my Microprocessors class in college. It covered Program Counters, PIC24 assembly, C, and everything in between. It definitely covers what you're looking for, I think.
>>
File: tumblr_mdq36qyRrv1rveja2o1_1280.png (792 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdq36qyRrv1rveja2o1_1280.png
792 KB, 800x600
>>53389479
http://directxtutorial.com/

It's not openGL, but most of the concepts and all of the math carries over.
Learn it well. And do not give up. It will get difficult but if you push through you'll be able to make an indie game like me.
>>
transistors -> logic gates -> flip-flops -> finite state machines -> simple single step processor -> simple multi-step processor -> simple pipelined processor -> assembly -> compilers -> system-level programming languages (C)
>>
>>53389655
thanks.
I guess that's the book I need.

>>53389619
I want to start from the building blocks up until opengl and C and maybe learn stuff like python and shit.

I'm tired of being a javamonkey and coding stuff and hoping it works.
>>
The class you'd want to take would be called "Nand to Tetris". If you look that up, you'll find some resources and online classes related to what you want to learn. You'll learn at the very least a coarse overview.
>>
>>53389716
>I want to start from the building blocks up until opengl and C and maybe learn stuff like python and shit.

Skip the bullshit and go directly to C. It's not a ladder, and languages like Java and Python are based on C anyway.
>>
>>53389479
program in binary nigger
>>
>>53389716
You don't have to start from the very bottom unless you intend to write embedded C for your electronics prototyping, and even then, nobody expects you to build your own microprocessor, an atmel avr is cheap as hell.
>>
>>53389698
As a Computer Engineer, this.
>>
>>53389736
>>53389748
I'm not talking being proficient, just understanding enough to have a clue on what's going on.

I just want to read some books.
>>
>>53389479
holy shit, that is a jump. logic gates to C?!?!?!

you need to first do a basic processor, then add adressable bus, then add peripherals, then move up to 16 bits, then add more functionality in the ALU, then expand more, then finally get to 32 bit and then add some real EEPROM and then add more RAM, and then make a bootstrapping compiler for C, then make a real compiler or port another. and then realise you spent the last 20 years freaking out about details that you should have just jumped straight to using a ready made computer
>>
>>53389890
>reading some books will take 20 years
>>
>>53389479

If you want to understand, you're going to have to *gasp* read books....

>Programming
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup
C Programming: A Modern Approach by King

>Data Structures and Algorithms
Algorithms in C++ Parts 1-5: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching, and Graph Algorithms by Sedgewick

>Digital Logic
Digital Design: Principles and Practices by Wakerly

>Computer Architecture
Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface by Patterson & Hennessy
Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective by Bryant & O'Hallaron

>Systems Coding
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens and Rago
Windows System Programming by Hart

>Operating System Design
Operating System Concepts by Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne
Modern Operating Systems by Tanenbaum

>Compilers
Programming Language Pragmatics by Scot
Engineering a Compiler by Cooper and Torczon
Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools by Aho, Lam, Sethi, and Ullman

>Computer Graphics
Fundamentals of Computer Graphics by Shirley and Marschner
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice by Hughes, van Dam, McGuire, Sklar, Foley, Feiner, and Akeley

>OpenGL
OpenGL Superbible: Comprehensive Tutorial and Reference by Sellers, Wright Jr., and Haemel
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.