[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how do I go from programming tutorials that teach you loops
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: 1456169939973.jpg (93 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
1456169939973.jpg
93 KB, 2000x1333
So how do I go from programming tutorials that teach you loops and booleans to actually making stuff? Is it just relentless googling?
>>
I like to eat shit , do you ?
>>
>>53388253
think of a project and do trial and error.
>>
File: Attach16809_20160225_130033.png (38 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Attach16809_20160225_130033.png
38 KB, 1920x1080
>>53388253
You'll get it eventually.
>>
pretty much

think of something you want to write
start writing
google every time you hit a roadblock
>>
yeah
when you don't understand something the key is to not get angry, because the odds are it's something retarded you're missing like an underclass F in function or a misplaced semicolon

if I were you I'd pick up an actual book on so-and-so you want to do though, because most tutorials aren't that good at teaching you concepts and concepts get important because when you google at a roadblock you're going to need to know the concepts to understand the info
>>
>>53388470
This. I was learning python in uni (pls no bully, I didn't have a choice) and I ran into shit that pretty simple to solve when someone else looked at it. Sometimes you just need to get away from it for a while or get a second/third opinion.
>>
It really is a lot like learning to speak another language, only that it doesn't take as long to get fluent. As with spoken languages, the best advice is simply to use it often.

The `satori' moment is reached when you realize you think about programs which transcend programming languages. Data structures is one of these abstractions. Eventually, after you *know* the basic data structures, you can combine elements of different kind to produce specialized programs.

And what programs might those be? Well, ones you've thought about, of course. Eventually you'll be programming and want some feature and then realize, "Wow, I *could* code it," regardless if you did or not.
>>
>>53388733
This was meant for OP. >>53388253
>>
>>53388404
This. Also, never properly study any language besides maybe the first one.
>>
yo, seriously bump this shit right here. wtf are we supposed to do?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>53388253
You need an idea first, the rest will come.
>>
>>53391847
what was your first 'idea', mr. programmerman?
>>
>>53391868
You expect way too much of me if you want me to remember the first random simple program I made years back. What I said is a legitimate first step, if you have no clue what the hell you want to make you aren't getting anywhere. See >>53388288 without an idea you are going no where.
>>
>>53391829
this shit right here pham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
>>53391950
that was oddly inspirational.
>>
>>53391950
>>53391927
>>53391847
>>53389055
>>53388404
why do you wicked bastards have to be vague as shit senpai...
>>
>>53392064
Well we have no idea what you you want to make so it amounts of "google it". You could be making a phone app, or a website, or a desktop application, or a CLI application, all of which have different ways of being built.
>>
>>53388404
>something to write
hmm, I wanna write a ncurses client of 4chan in haskell, but it seems I need to learn networking and ncurses libraries for that, which there aren't tutorials on the net for
>>
You go to a tutorial that is more specific to your field.
opencv and qt has a lot of tutorials for people who are new to programming.

Another way would be to look into different data structures and algorithms.
I used the c++ STL as the basis and learned what they did and implemented some myself.

If you don't know for what purpose you are learning programming, I would suggest to go to one of those and then solve some different tasks.

With opencv, you have access to images, which makes it easy for you to apply things visually.

Eg solve a maze and show in steps how it would do it.

Or have a robot look in a map for an item, with limited view or something.
>>
>learned Haskell up to monads
>not enough tutorials to get you started on nice libs
>figure I should learn C since rich in books / tutorials
>it's painful because not FP
What's a mature fp language with lots of tutorials / books that you can learn networking, graphics and many other stuff with?
Was thinking lisp, but not sure.
>>
>>53392613
Probably F# and move to C# if not enough. They are basically moving all the good ideas from F# into C#.
>>
>>53392713
is f# backwards compatible with c# just as c# is with visual basic?
>>
>>53392613
D supports FP well enough for most purposes and it's 'mature' enough to abandon that bizarre FP zealotry and allow transitory internal state in pure functions - sadly graphics are a bit difficult to do with it because it's a bit uncommon, and it's primarily aimed at C type people getting into FP rather than FP people so it might not be exactly what you're after. Still if you want to give it a look, a good book would be 'the D programming language' by Andrei Alexandrescu

R is interesting, and will do graphics stuff (allegedly - I've never tried), but it's very much aimed towards mathematical processing of data rather than 'practical' stuff. It's all academic-wank so you should be able to fund a bunch of resources for it

Lisp is pretty great, but learning all the cool shit you can do with it will make you miss that in other languages. SICP is a pretty good book, and covers the specific and the general pretty well
scheme is small and simple. Common lisp is enormous. That clojure stuff is a bit unusual but you might like to take a look at it anyway
>>
>>53392726
No, different languages. They just port plenty of FP from it.
>>
>>53388253
make a text based game
>>
>>53388253
I started with building an IM for browsers. Plenty of youtube tutorials out there.
>>
>>53388253
If you are OOP.
Make sure you have a good understanding of it.

Start out making really easy applications just so you get an understanding of it then move to projects that you want to make.

My go to mini project when learning a new language is to make a simple calculator.
>>
>>53393495
IM?
>>
>>53388253
yes, take it from a self taught asshole

so like, here's how you start developing real shit.

a: come up with an idea
b: break it down into a bunch of puzzle pieces
c: build a flow chart of how it needs to work (this is super important for beginners imho, helped me a lot)

Example: Build a Thread Downloader

>draw up some flowchart that explains the program calling the web page, getting the data, then retrieving the images
this helps remind you what you're doing when your 3 hours in to googling one problem
>figure out how to connect to the internet in your choice of language
>figure out how to get the html of a page (aka the thread) (yes i know the api exists now)
>figure out a way to parse, and breakdown this data to find posts and then images
>create some kind of process that goes through this data and build a list of images
>use this list to start downloading all the images in the thread

Then you pretty much keep googling all those smaller pieces, eventually you will have a fully functional program.

And eventually you'll learn how to make this piece of software a lot faster and more optimized, do this 2 or 3 times until everything is all "proper", hopefully doing so you will learn not to use loops or if chains in certain places and shit like that.

Rinse, repeat, you're now a developer
>>
How do you tie your program into a GUI? Like, where is the GUI defined in the code?
>>
>>53394247
Which language? Framework?
>>
>>53388342
cringe
>>
>>53394305
let's say java, since that's all i know. framework? I don't even know what that is.
>>
File: mwtbdltr.jpg (174 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
mwtbdltr.jpg
174 KB, 1280x768
ITT: We post our resume/CV cover photos
Bonus points for high levels of c00l (Or should I say ZERO COOL HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH)
>>
>>53394376
Java has libraries for developing GUI applications. Javafx is what I used for school, but there are probably better alternatives.

Basically it's just a set of classes for GUI elements. You can call on methods whenever a button is clicked, or whenever a user picks a certain option, or whatever. There are plenty of beginner level tutorials out there for making GUI shit in Java.
>>
>>53394581
aaaand this is why I knew I shouldn't try to get into coding.

I was really hoping for a WYSIWYG editor for the GUI side; this is just too much fucking work.

I have to say it - you programmers are pretty inspirational dudes. You do stuff that I just do not have the willpower to hack through. Back to writing in plain old english for me.
>>
>>53394700
Try c# with winforms
>>
>>53394700
doing things usually requires effort
>>
>>53395766
yep, I fully realize that. I'm gonna put my efforts elsewhere, though.

I'm very interested in rebooting SimAnt, but really only interested in implementing the artificial life logic of the game; I can't be arsed to spend any significant time on implementing netcode, GUI, graphics system, etc.

I'll leave it up to someone with a bit more determination to do.
>>
Nobody will teach you that because everyone who knows this is actually employed.

Make your own projects. It's the best teacher.
>>
>>53388342
>that picture

semper code
>>
make converters. any unit of measurement to any equivalent.
Then make lists. Reverse, swap, replace items, etc. Do it using arrays, then pointers, then with nodes in a linkedlist.

then make poker
>>
>>53393760
Instant messenger.
What, were you born in the 2000s?
>>
>>53394731
this desu
It's breddy ez to use Visual Studio and bring up a form; program from there, drag and drop textboxes, drop downs etc.
>>
>>53394581
>Javafx is what I used for school, but there are probably better alternatives.
there pretty much aren't
>>
>>53394700
>I was really hoping for a WYSIWYG editor for the GUI side; this is just too much fucking work.
but there is a WYSIWYG editor for JavaFX
>>
>>53392764
lisp it is then, might try D though, I've heard it mentioned here a couple of times.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.