[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the universe is a computer simulation, can I lower the memory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1456958866094.jpg (57 KB, 350x310) Image search: [Google]
1456958866094.jpg
57 KB, 350x310
If the universe is a computer simulation, can I lower the memory my thought process occupies by changing what I think to below 0 and cause an underflow and become the cleverest person ever?
>>
Maybe profoundly retarded individuals are brilliant and we can't understand their level of consciousness....
>>
>>53385958
yes that's why people with down's exist
>>
Not if that amount of memory isn't dynamic and declared as final
>>
>>53385958
never go full pentium
>>
>>53385958
If we are living in a simulation, while it's not totally impossible for us to find evidence of it, it would be extremely unlikely for us to really do anything to directly alter the parameters of it in any meaningful way from within. If we exist solely within said simulation, then altering it from without would also be unlikely, as we could not exist outside of it.
>>
>>53385958
probably who ever built the simulation checks bounds before reading/writing to a buffer.
>>
File: 1457485274069.jpg (77 KB, 350x310) Image search: [Google]
1457485274069.jpg
77 KB, 350x310
>>53385958
>>
File: loominati.jpg (540 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
loominati.jpg
540 KB, 1300x866
>>53385958
We are developing today amazing AI, and we put limitations on them. For many obvious reasons.
Long time ago someone or something create our universe and us, do they put some limitation on us too?
>>
>>53386131
>it would be extremely unlikely for us to really do anything to directly alter the parameters of it in any meaningful way from within.

https://youtu.be/OPcV9uIY5i4
>>
>>53386265
Yes, and those limitations are the laws of physics. Simulation or not, the laws of physics are the boundaries of what is possible within the universe.

The idea of this being a simulation is fascinating, but we do tend to look at it from an anthropocentric viewpoint. As mind numbingly huge as the universe is, it could very well be that we were not planned, and are not known about. Some advanced beings could be running simulations trying to figure out the mysteries of their own universe, and we are simply an unplanned aftereffect of the shit they are actually interested in knowing about.

I think if we were somehow the point, then it would make better sense to make the simulated universe we occupy much smaller. The size of a galaxy would be more than sufficient, as it's unlikely that humanity will ever manage to leave the Milky Way to explore others--aside from Andromeda and any other that ours will eventually interact, and/or merge with since the distance between us and them is shrinking, rather than growing exponentially. The way things are looking we're probably going to wipe ourselves out before we ever get more than a few steps from Earth.
>>
Irrational numbers rule out all possibility of us being in a simulation. No storage system could store all of pizza or the square root of 1054or what have you
>>
lets contortion your brain for it to look like albert einsteins...see if the ttheory is true...
>>
>>53386637
Dood.. if only Einstein can be here now with out technology.... what amazing theories he can bring to us..
And to whom goes the nobel these days? Some people who only proved a theory made by based Albert .. only PROVED, nothing new
>>
>>53386676
I dunno. Einstein peaked early. His greatest accomplishments came before he was even 20. His life afterwards wasn't particularly remarkable.
>>
>>53385958
best thread today

congratulations OP
>>
If you treat your existence as the one that controls the nervous system that controls the flesh shell rather than believing you're either the system or shell, it can be possible.

Humans need to figure out how to exit the shell state and return to prime existence form.
The ones with even the slightest touch with it become
>>
>>53386722
I mean, to prove that the gravity is a bend in space-time in his time, he needed to wait a fucking total eclipse for so many fucking years, with fucking optical telescopes that today we can buy at walmart...
cmon seriously, with what we got today, i don't know what he can bring to our common knoledge. He also said that he was wrong on some calculations, only because he was scared of results... black holes for examples, Also gravitational waves, that today we are giving nobel to some guys who proven them... he just says "it can't be, i must be wrong"... Because he can't accept the existance of such monters in universe
>>
File: bong.jpg (7 KB, 298x298) Image search: [Google]
bong.jpg
7 KB, 298x298
>>53385958
Yup.
>>
If the universe is infinite, how can it be expanding? Where are the star systems expanding into?
>>
>>53386876
And who said that is infinite?
>>
>>53386628
almost had me
>>
>>53386676
Einstein grabbed most of his work from the works of other scientists, dude. I bet you think he "invented" e=mc^2 lol
>>
>>53386876
>Where are the star systems expanding into?
They aren't exapnding into anything. Space itself is expanding. Draw two dots on a deflated balloon. Now inflate it. What appears to happen? What actually happens? What might happen if you keep inflating it? That's about the simplest way to wrap your brain around the expansion of the universe, and it's potential future.
>>
>>53386942
He BASED his work on discovery of other ppl, ofc.
Before Einsetein, all astronomy was based on newton's laws, today is based on Einstein general law of relativity.
Ofc witout Newton can't be Einstein law.
>>
>>53386957
>They aren't exapnding into anything.

In your balloon analogy, the balloon is expaning into some kind of space. The analogy doesn't really address that growth must occupy more space.
>>
>>53386957
Where is space expanding into?
>>
>>53386942
>what is science but a bunch of work based on other's work
Even Newton couldn't have done shit without Kepler.
>>
>>53386531
How about cryosleep? Wouldn't hibernation technically allow us to traverse the vast distances of the galaxy?
>>
>>53387205
Problem is speed. We need a way to elude the limitation of the speed of light. Even the most near star is 4 light years away from us. And i doubt that in future we can reach the speed of light, it's a limitation to us :P (see above)
We still have problem to reach Mars, wich is really nothing compared to interstallar travel.
So basically... we born in this world lost in space, we will finish our time (as a race) still lost in space
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.