[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you fell for the mechanical keyboard meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: meme.jpg (60 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
60 KB, 700x700
>tfw you fell for the mechanical keyboard meme
>>
>>53375389
How do you type on a membrane honest question
It feels like there is no pressure under your fingers at all

All keyboards get the job done, but it really is push bike vs car
>>
>>53375397
not sure how mechanical keyboards help exactly.
>>
Got my CuM Storm on sale for $50. Has special driver for NKRO so it works with all my chords. Feels good man. After using PCs for 20 years, I couldn't touch-type reliably until I got a Cherry board. My first keyboard was also mechanical, but shitty ALPS switches. How much would I have had to spend for a rubber dome board that can even crouch-jump? Thinking of getting a smaller one for my laptop so I can use it sideways to fit more lines of code on its screen. I'm accustomed to having one of my desktop monitors in portrait so coding in landscape is jarring.
>>
I have a Model M, the most keyboardest keyboard ever.
All membrane keyboards feel mushy and weak.
>>
>>53375491
Model M is really nice for typing, but I wouldn't recommend it to gaymers since it's only 2KRO. (That's a guaranteed minimum for every possible combination, not a maximum.)
>>
>>53375389
me too. Not sure whether it was really worth the 90 bucks if you compare it to some cheap 20 bucks membrane keyboard, but compared to my 50 bucks gaymen keyboard I had before, it's definitely worth the 40 extra bucks I paid for it, if only for the smaller form factor and the gel wrist pad that came with it.

Also, the clacking sound is really soothing to me.
>>
It must be awful to be so poor.

Even £130 for a piece of equipment that you use daily that will last years is really not that much. Sure, I could use a cheap membrane keyboard and not spend hundreds but where's the fun in that? I use my keyboard for work/play every day so I want something nice.
>>
>>53375389
You'll understand if you're ever an adult using it daily for work that pays at least a significant fraction of minimum wage.

Mine has paid for itself in the productivity I didn't lose after spilling coffee and tea on it.
>>
>>53375491
the model m is a membrane keyboard.
>>
>>53375556
I spend more per year on butt wipes than I did on my mech keyboard.
>>
>>53375582
You know I'm not a fucking retard and I don't spill things on my keyboard
Yes I am an adult and I work with €15 membrane keyboard
Oh btw they have washable membrane keyboards too
>>
>>53375556
/thread
>>
>>53375614
>it'll never happen to me because I'm perfect :DDD
Enjoy your broken phone glass.
>>
I mainly just want a mechanical keyboard for bragging rights and NKRO, but the truth is that I actually like the feeling of a nice rubberdome, such as a Dell Quietkey. Are there any good rubberdomes with NKRO, or do I have to pony up for mechanical and get used to my keys feeling weird?
>>
>>53375749
I think Cherry Browns feel pretty much the same as rubber domes, but more consistent and with some clack. Maybe some silicone rings would make it behave how you like? I don't know of any rubber mats with NKRO. Wouldn't that require multiple layers?
>>
>>53375397
How do you type on a mechanical honest question
It feels like there is pressure under your fingers

All keyboards get the job done, but it really is push car vs bike
>>
>>53375510
It's not a gaymen keyboard for sure, and it's not suitable if you live with other people.

>>53375584
It's literally buckling springs
>>
>>53375652
not being a retard is different from being perfect
But sure, let's assume I accidentally spill something on my €15 keyboard, I'd just buy a new one and I still spend the same amount instead of buying a 150€ noisy piece of plastic just because of
>muh mech feel
Mech keyboards are the pinnacle of placebos, only audiophile premium shit surpasses /mkb/ levels of placeboness
>>
Cherry blues are fucking awful, I wish I didn't fall for the meme that they're the best.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 500x159) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 500x159
>>53375389
mechanical key boards are one big laughing stock. i dont know what the supposed advantages are (longevity?) but they sure aint worh click-clackin around all day for. srsly the loudest-ass bunch of keyboards i have ever encountered. and for wat, you have increased surface area for your fukken kung pao general tso's sauce to get in. you have to push down extra much to even press the key. you have to endure the horrible sounds of the keys giving u tinnitus probably. complete and utter trash. thick. bulky vestiges of yesteryear. now pic related is da fukken bomb. pic related basically opens up a whole new usb port on your MAC machine, while offering the smoothest quietest typing experience heretofore conceived of. thank gosh for apple engineering, truly miles ahead of tha pakk
>>
>>53376145
Most buckling spring board employ a membrane for actuation. Some older ones were capacitive.
>>
File: chocmini.jpg (139 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
chocmini.jpg
139 KB, 1000x662
I use this thing and it is pretty comfy desu
>>
>>53376164
My mech board was $50. That's less than the cost of a silicone dildo at a brick and mortar shop.
>>
>>53376359
I like it for typing, but it can't float in muh gaymes, so I kept my brown board and gave the cheap blue one to my mom. She likes it.
>>
>>53377499
I don't like the placement of the media keys. How are you supposed to change tracks while gaymen?
>>
File: 1424198415674.jpg (47 KB, 428x500) Image search: [Google]
1424198415674.jpg
47 KB, 428x500
>>53375556
This! /thread!
Everyone should buy the most expensive gear, they are always necessary and most suited for the task.
>>
>>53378157
Nobody is saying that mech keyboards are necessary or "most suited", just that they're nice to have.
>>
>>53378157
poorfag jealous of anons that have an income to afford nice things in life
>>
>>53378157
I'll probably spend less in the long run since I got my board for a reasonable price and it will last so much longer. And the reduction in typos due to more consistent actuation pressures has reduced the need for debugging so I'm saving a lot of time there I can then waste here. But effort is the limiting factor. Sort of. But not really. Since it's still a function of time.
>>
>>53378270
Even poors can afford nice keyboards. That le edgy "t3h j00z" memeposter is likely a jobless teenager.
>>
File: bs1s.jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
bs1s.jpg
18 KB, 300x225
>>53377486
That's not the point
>>
File: jerry-lewis-nutty-professor[1].jpg (42 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
jerry-lewis-nutty-professor[1].jpg
42 KB, 500x345
The advantage of mech keyboards is mostly in construction rather than performance. You can easily clean and replace keycaps. The keyboard typically has a more solid feel due to using key switches rather than a rubber membrane with contact points. Additionally due to steel mounting plate being used in many of them.

The only thing that's going to significantly affect typing performance is key travel distance. If you make shorter keystrokes your keystrokes will happen faster. I type faster on scissor switch keyboards than I do on anything else. I believe you can get a similar effect by using rubber o-rings on a mech.

The longevity argument is questionable. While a rubber dome is going to degrade, it will usually still function. There are fully functional used rubber dome keyboards from the 90's being sold all over the place from ebay to your local second hand. In terms of longevity I would worry more about a mech keyboard with all its moving parts. There's more chances of something going wrong with all those individual switches instead of a big rubber membrane.

This leads to the cost factor. Mechs usually cost a lot more due to all the materials needed to make one. The longevity argument is dubious. There are tons of old rubber domes still working fine.

Some keyboards offer poor nkey rollover. Mechs are on average better in this regard and their nkey rollover attributes are often listed whereas it can be difficult to find this performance attribute on a rubber dome. Most PS2 interface keyboards have nkey rollover. Basically nkey rollover is being able to hit all the keys at once with all of them registering. Many keyboards have only 2key rollover hitting more than 2keys at once the additional keys simply won't register. Many have 6key rollover and so on.
>>
>he didn't get low profile caps
>he didn't get clear switches
>he didn't get grey switches
>he didn't even get the backlit model
Stay
Fucking
Casual
>>
>>53380783
A silimat will remain "working" for years, but over a shorter time uneven wear can cause inconsistent behavior between keys, some feeling mushier and requiring different amounts of force. Many users don't notice or mind this, while others find it extremely frustrating. I really dislike typing my 20+ characters encryption key on cheap worn keyboards.
>>
>>53381209
I agree but feel is subjective. I mean to mention this anyway. Feel is probably the best reason to get a mech. They maintain a consistent and consistently better feel from day one and throughout the duration of the keyboard whereas rubber membranes wear down and provide a less consistent, albeit entirely functional feel.
>>
>>53381305
>feel is subjective
It's not, though. You can measure actuation force with a gauge/inverted drug scale and the different keys on a worn rubber slab will have different readings.
>>
>>53375397
Where did this meme come from? My membrane keyboard and all of the ones I've used in the past have been so much harder to push than mechanicals. My sidewinder x4 feels so much more stiff and nicer than the mechanicals I've used.
>>
>>53380847
>backlit model
Casual is right, pleb.
>>
File: Heh_Laarge_Oxen.png (1 MB, 799x920) Image search: [Google]
Heh_Laarge_Oxen.png
1 MB, 799x920
>mechanical keyboard meme in full force
>ignore it and buy an expensive rubber dome keyboard from razor
>best keyboard I've ever used and 1/3 the price of a mechanical keyboard
>types quietly so I can use it while gf sleeps

Kek
>>
>>53381859
You got a Razor keyboard for $17?
>>
>>53375510
>wouldn't recommend it to gaymers
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU RETARDS! Whatever the topic there's an asswipe with "muh gaymes tho!"
KILL YOU'RE SELF!
>>
>/mkg/ fell for the meme edition
>>
I own two topre keyboards and I fucking love them.
I can never go back to rubber dome.
>>
>>53382020
150/3 isn't 17
>>
Got a Corsair K70 RGB with red switches , steelseries Apex M800 and a Ducky Shine 5 with black switches.

I'm also looking into The Logitech G410 to fill my TKL quota, since SS are too slow to bring out a TKL version of the M800.
>>
Scissor keyboards is the best. Sadly Benq stopped to making A800, but at least there is Logitech with Illuminated Keyboard.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.