[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
computer science or electrical and computer engineering?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9
File: michaelsoft_binbows.jpg (25 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
michaelsoft_binbows.jpg
25 KB, 450x327
computer science or electrical and computer engineering?
>>
CS if you want to shitpost on /g/ all day and whine about how CS isn't coding but never explain what you actually do.
ECE if you want to kill yourself
>>
>>53369634
sociology.
>>
>>53369634
oppressed womyn's literature(s)
>>
is computer hardware engineering a good career to go into?
>>
>>53369634
ECE is the academic major that studies computers using math and physics. CS is for people too weak to pass advanced math or physics courses. Compare:

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math with Coding and Information Theory
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone where everyone actually does shit
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing
among others
>>
>>53370678
Sounds like my pick then
>>
/g/ give me some advice

I have the option of doing CS or engineering

I can only actually specialize in electrical/computer after 2nd year. This means that I'll have to do generic engi courses for 2 years. Also chemistry makes me wanna kill myself, while I actually enjoy stuff like calculus.

Will it really be such a detriment to my future employment opportunities if I forgo the engineering degree and go straight to CS?
>>
>>53370678
welp, sounds like CS is the better option then
>>
neither if you want to have a gf some day
>>
>>53370678
>majoring in something just because it is hard

STEMlord detected. I'll stick with statistics. That way I will be able to finally have friends and get laid before I graduate. Hopefully.
>>
>>53371937
Drop out of vt
>>
File: 1456883959222.jpg (43 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1456883959222.jpg
43 KB, 640x427
I'm just sitting here going for my easy ass CIS degree
>>
>>53372173
Statistics is autism
>>
>>53370678
CS grad student here,

Where did you go for CS, it sounds horrible. I did a largely combined major, and I found ECE courses to be of a constant difficulty where as CS varied from the very easy (Software Engineering Practices) To the very hard, Algorithms, Distributed Computation, and AI.

>inb4 those are easy
If you think so you were not doing it right.
>>
>>53372173
>majoring in something just because it is easy

An University is a place of higher learning. If you don't want to learn, don't go.
>>
Tech evangelism.
>>
>>53370678
I'm in my third year of CS now and that is basically accurate
>>
File: tumblr_nx7ojouTEE1qg9yhjo1_500.gif (2 MB, 416x414) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx7ojouTEE1qg9yhjo1_500.gif
2 MB, 416x414
>>53369634
teaching
>>
File: 1446164227870.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446164227870.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>53369634
Newly minted MSEE, PE here.

Good luck getting an entry level engineering job these past few years. Here in the US, about 55-60% of grads never work in engineering. They go on and do the same Mcdick jobs as teh liberal arts grads. There is also a huge turn over rate after the first year in teh work force. A lot of fags get angry because engineering as a profession is just meetings, meetings, reviews of cad drawings, meetings, meetings, and writing shit office reports. The real engineering is done by the PE. Most of the engineers that are designated PE are usually in their 40's+, and its not surprising to find licensed PE's working as assistant engineers or similar positions, or PE's taking on managerial roles instead.
>>
>>53373554
>Here in the US, about 55-60% of grads never work in engineering
I'm not even a grad yet and I have a part-time job as a lab intern during schoolbasically doing miscellaneous shit for the real engineers, getting well above minimum wage.
It's all about who you know. And by that I mean know somebody (ANYbody) who works where there is an opening, and you can get in. If someone can vouch for you personally, any employer will hold that higher than resumes or interviews (as log as you don't shit yourself on those).
That's literally been all three of my jobs.
>>
File: Computer-Engineer-Explained.jpg (117 KB, 550x376) Image search: [Google]
Computer-Engineer-Explained.jpg
117 KB, 550x376
>>53369634

Why everyone saying that CS is bad why not IT either ?
>>
>>53375404
Why would i google that? A more suited search would be "how to java"

t. computer engineer
>>
>>53369634
CE or EE. If you have any competence you can learn a lot of CS shit on your own properly. CE will too give you the basics. If you aren't competent then it doesn't matter anyway. EE if you're pro and interested in hardware and actual jobs. CE if you don't know what you want to do yet or you want them to teach you software too and more computer related focus depending on university.
>>
>>53375404
CS is shit
SE is shit with worms
IT is flaming shit with maggots darting up you leg
>>
>>53372188
I wouldnt even bother going to college for CIS. Id just do it through the military and let uncle sam pay for all my certs. But thats just me...
>>
>>53370678
>Being this mad
What's the matter? Get cucked a few too many times by CS Majors little CE boy?
>>
>>53369634
I switched from CS to CompEng and I'm enjoying it so far. I got far enough in the CS program to the Theory of Computation and Comparative Languages courses, so seeing how automatons and grammar interact was pretty neat. It got even better when we started designing state machines in my intro to CompEng course. I really like it so far. I fell like aving a strong math background from required math courses for engineering and a programming background from CS helps a lot. The CS program at my current school only requires math up through Calculus II, which isn't enough in my opinion. Engineering requires up through Differential Equations and some require Proofs (which we touched on in Theory, and probably Discrete Math, which I skipped). I'd still like to take a proofs class at some point.
>>
>>53370678
Maybe if you go to a shit uni. I did most of your 1st, 2nd and 3rd years in my first year
>>
>>53370678
so can I really get any cs job as an ECE major?
>>
>>53378053
>engineering requires proofs
>CS doesn't

is your school in backwards-land?
>>
File: BATEMAN_0.jpg (41 KB, 356x437) Image search: [Google]
BATEMAN_0.jpg
41 KB, 356x437
>>53370678
Watch out guys. Got the 180iq dude here
>>
File: 1450622266047.gif (74 KB, 782x543) Image search: [Google]
1450622266047.gif
74 KB, 782x543
>>53369634
Why not just learn programming for free and then get a well-paying job anyway?

4 years industry experience and getting paid to learn is far more useful than spending those same 4 years learning pointless bullshit and amassing student debt.
>>
File: Comp=Sci=.png (1 MB, 1499x860) Image search: [Google]
Comp=Sci=.png
1 MB, 1499x860
>>53377479
>What's the matter

I expected a mathematical degree, not a meme degree.
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 1024x1024
>>53369634
Thoughts about CS with Math Minor?
>>
>>53370678
Wth, what uni did you go to? The uni I go to offers all the things you listed in 4th year CE for CS students
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.