[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm interested in buying a fast USB stick that isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: sdx.jpg (54 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
sdx.jpg
54 KB, 1100x1100
I'm interested in buying a fast USB stick that isn't too expensive. What's a good option? I'm looking at the SanDisk Extreme but it appears that it doesn't have the removable bit set, meaning it can't be used as a boot disk.
>>
Why would you want a flash drive as a boot disk? That's what an SSD is for
>>
Don't do what you're planning. It's stupid.
>>
>>53358461
Apparently the Extreme can be configured as a fixed disk with a little work, which will allow you to partition it and use it as a boot disk.

http://agnipulse.com/2012/03/filter-drivers-removable-media-fixed-disk-windows/
>>
>>53358517
Mostly for installing operating systems from bootable media rather than disc.
>>
>>53358536
I don't think you understand. Without the removable bit, the drive shows as a local drive instead of removable media. It can be partitioned, but it can't be booted from via BIOS/UEFI.
>>
>>53358524
Installing Linux distributions from USB is becoming a pretty standard practice m8, it's a lot faster than optical media and reusable. Even Windows lets you create installation USBs now.
>>
>>53358536
> windows
> needing a driver to allow boot from USB
> not being able to see partitions
Wow.
>>
>>53358635
That's just not true, though. I own one of these and actually use it with Easy 2 Boot for all my live CDs and rescue disks, etc. + extra files I want to bring along for the ride.

Has no problems booting in BIOS or UEFI except on computers specifically designed by OEMs to be fucking locked down, and even then you can force the UEFI to boot from this disk, you just need to reconfigure the boot options a little.
>>
I own one of those, the speeds aren't quite up to par, and the shell itself is cheap and breaks but still usable.
>>
>>53359828
Is there a faster drive within 20% of this one's MSRP?
>>
>>53358644
Yeah, installing is fine. You don't need super speed to install.
The only reason you'd need a fast USB stick that can be booted is to run OSes from the stick, live. And not just to try the OS out, oh no no, to use it as your main boot drive.
>>
>>53360096
>install distros often
>not wanting them to install quickly
>>
Have this USB stick can confirm it's GOAT
>>
>>53360327
tribes player?
>>
>>53360134
Then get more USB sticks if you want to install them on multiple machines faster.

If you're distro-hopping, kill yourself.
>>
>>53358461
>SanDisk Extreme
I own the flash drive in your picture and I've used it as a boot device to install an OS before. At best it can write at around 90mb/s so it is pretty nice for a cheap flash drive.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67 KB, 402x367) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
67 KB, 402x367
I have the 64GB version.
>>
>>53359807
this is also what I use mine for
might move to a Patriot one after I saw the read speeds in action, though
>>
>>53362333
Created a bootable Windows 10 installation a few minutes ago with rufus.

I took about 50 seconds.
>>
>>53360096
The only reason you'd need portable storage that can be written to and read from quickly is for running an OS on it?
>>
>>53362363
plz link to patriot. Is it within 20% of the price of the 32gb extreme?
>>
OP...

1. Buy SSD
2. Create partition for installing OS
3. Install OS
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.