[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how powerful is Google? Is it even possible to dethrone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: God.png (487 KB, 790x810) Image search: [Google]
God.png
487 KB, 790x810
Just how powerful is Google? Is it even possible to dethrone it anymore?
>>
Not that big. It'll be even smaller after Facebook video kills YouTube.
>>
>>53353383
only as big as you allow them to be

>>53353496
I'll just pop that right on my list of shit that's never gonna happen
>>
>>53353383
They own Chrome which both is collectivley used by the most average users and collects the most data, ass well as tightly integrating itself all around Google. They could do as much spying as their hearts wanted and people would still keep Chrome because their entire life is already on Google. It's the same crap with Apple, just exploiting human laziness.
>>
Why care? It is enthralling to think about the small chance of being alive.
>>
>>53353383
Damn facebook is a zaku
>>
>Is it even possible to dethrone it anymore?

Don't use their services.

Use an ad-blocker and script-blocker everywhere. They are Google's kryptonite.
>>
>>53353383
>Facebook pushes Big Brother to the side

If you want to make money in the US, you're part of the surveillance machine. Facebook and Google share their data with the state. They ARE Big Brother.
>>
>>53353890
you completely missed the point of the image
>>
Once video monetization starts on Facebook, it will be game over for YouTube. The reach and the average view count is fucking high compared to YT.
>>
>>53354392
A reply to
>>53353526
>>
>>53354392
Pretty sure the view count is including people just scrolling past it though, seeing as how the video will load whether you plan on watching it or not
>>
>>53354392
90% of the videos on Facebook are either stolen from YouTube or personal videos some dude uploaded for his friends to watch, which get like 100 views
>>
>Google it, no longer look it up
>Google owns YouTube
>Google maps
>Google fibre
>Google project fi (calls/texts/etc on wifi as well as data)
>Google mail
>Google docs
>Google attempting to replace laptops and phones (and failing)

They replaced libraries, going outside, MSOffice, AOL+Yahoo, and are aiming to replace phone carriers. They are the irl Cyberdyne and no one's seeing it. What happens when Google sticks their hand in AI or Robotics?
>>
File: 1450936271993.jpg (21 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1450936271993.jpg
21 KB, 800x600
>>53353496
>being this retarded
>>
>>53355737
>Google sticks their hand in AI or Robotics
Happened a few years ago, in fact most people posting on 4chan are training Google's AI
FOR FREE
>>
>>53353383
>Just how powerful is Google?

If we're going by the same logic used to argue against cyber bullying, I guess Google loses all of its power the moment you shut down your computer and walk away?

Well, not really. Google has street cameras and satellites at its disposal. Mass surveillance is kind of a thing, whether or not you even participate in the Internet.
>>
eric schmidt just got a job at the pentagon.

that's how powerful google is.

Ignoring any unforseeable collapse, Google will be like a "megacorp" in sci-fi. You will wake up with your google alarm in your google bed in your google house. Your google stove will cook you a google approved breakfast, and your google health monitor will measure your morning shit. You will get in a google car that will drive you to your job, which services google in some way. etc.
>>
>>53355737
>What happens when Google sticks their hand in AI or Robotics?
You know that they own Boston Dynamics, right?
>>
>>53353496
>Facebook video kills YouTube.
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>53355737
Oh, people see it alright. They just don't see it as being malicious. Rather, they see Google as being some benevolent entity. Many have confessed that they would not mind if Google actually took over the world and became some sort of global government. Everyone sees it, but most people simply do not care.
>>
>>53355737
>What happens when Google sticks their hand in AI or Robotics?
They've already done that.
See Boston Dynamics and their stuff with neural networks.
>>
>Just how powerful is Google?
Very.
No.
>>
>>53354392
Just like Google+ killed Facebook, and Origin killed Steam, and Guvera killed Spotify, and all them games that were 'WoW Killers' that failed after 2 months.
>>
>>53353383

Yep. A loss on an anti-trust case for being a monopoly ought to do it.
>>
>>53356206
And Google has actively censored their results in the past when they felt that the public opinion was wrong in a situation. Pretty soon you'll be taken to Room 101 if you dare to express an opinion that our benevolent overlord disapprove of.
>>
>>53355815
>not chosing the wrong images
>>
>>53353383
>Just how powerful is Google
If you wanted to actually represent their power with a picture, they'd need to be well over twice the size they are in that picture.
>>
this framing that the OP's comic makes is dangerously naive and misleading. it's true that you should be wary of companies and government, but to cast the rationale in this way belies the real danger.

i understand the desire to simplify someone's mental model, but at some point you should just tell people to not get engaged.
>>
>>53353383
every search in any other engine feels ~2005
>no altavista anymore or powerfull yahoo
>>
>>53356646
>every search in any other engine feels ~2005
This. I tried to switch to DDG, but ended up often searching on Google anyway because of how much better their results always are.
>>
File: 8767217.png (167 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
8767217.png
167 KB, 256x384
>>53353496
Lol this fucking retard.
>>
>>53356663
web feels smaller tho, I guess they not even bother to show you better results cause popularity is part of the ranking

those ~million results can fit in 20 pages
>>
>>53353496
facebook be like: buy our oculus rift for $600
google be like: buy our $5 cardboard
>>
File: 1455288190947.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1455288190947.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>53356627
>this framing that the OP's comic makes is dangerously naive and misleading. it's true that you should be wary of companies and government, but to cast the rationale in this way belies the real danger.
>i understand the desire to simplify someone's mental model, but at some point you should just tell people to not get engaged.
>>
>>53356256

Yep it bugs me when people act like Google is "good" and not see it as a soul-less corporation. The only real counter to it at this point is realistically Microsoft with OneDrive, Outlook, XBox, Office, Bing, etc.
>>
>>53356896
B-but Google said that they'd do no evil! H-has a government ever said that?
>>
>>53356896
win10 botnet
>>
>>53356896

I work at google and let me tell you, google is actually a great thing. we have good people and we have bad people. just like any any company. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, google as employer are one of the best employer you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish fuckhead. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.
>>
>>53356974
Google wouldn't hire someone this stupid, you're obviously lying.
>>
Google has to pay Apple a significant portion of its revenue to remain the standard search engine on iOS.
Google had to make Android and Chrome to have their services as default on most devices.
Youtube hasn't made a profit yet.
Netflix and Amazon offer much higher quality content.
Set top box market is still open to anyone. Very likely to be controlled by companies other than Google.
Google cars are not ready to market in the foreseeable future and people will always buy a self driving BMW over a self driving Google meme car.

10 years from now Google will be as irrelevant as Yahoo is today.
>>
>>53358002
>Youtube hasn't made a profit yet
>>
>>53353383
>Uses NoScript
>Every site visited has some link to Google
>>
>>53358460
Its making money, but it HASN'T made profit.
If it were as simple as operating costs v revenue, it would have, but there's much more to it than that.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.