[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Look at job postings >video game companies have the highest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: HPxYLYj.jpg (161 KB, 600x527) Image search: [Google]
HPxYLYj.jpg
161 KB, 600x527
>Look at job postings
>video game companies have the highest requirements

wtf, I thought that was were all the losers go. compared to the rest of the field they are underpaid and overworked but it seems like those jobs are the hardest to get.
>>
>>53353151
It's almost as if there's a high supply of people who want to make
>muh gaems
compared to the actual demand for
>muh gaems
>>
>>53353151
I could jerk off to that picture
>>
>>53353205
What's stopping you?
>>
Who is this semen demon?
>>
Probably because the field is flooded with people who want make games and they want the casuals to fuck off
>>
File: asdf456asdf.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
asdf456asdf.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>53353151
>>53353205
>>53353230
>you'll never fuck pepes gf
>>
>>53353151
Currently of the losers go program for mobile games but the script is starting to flip and mobile games are starting to take on better people.
>>
>>53353151

It's where the losers want to go, before they realize that they can't do linear algebra/low-level programming/high performance programming, etc that would be required for a decent games job and then drop out.
>>
We're also really good at weeding out aspiring gayms audio kids. Most of them aren't even half fast enough for our deadlines. Stop trying to get into games and find a niche.
>>
>>53353151
>muh gaymen
>>
>>53354052
I know nothing about game dev
Why is linear algebra needed for games?
>>
>>53353151
The video game market is pretty rough, not surprising they want to pay for the best
>>
generally people who work for video games are underpaid and overworked, but there's demand for it because apparently even highly educated people are idiots
>>
>>53354175
Except the game industry has the lowest wages across the board
>>
>>53354173

To my knowledge, the way in which we get polygons to come together in 3d. That's all linear algebra. We have a bunch of 3D coords and we need to transform them in complex ways to get them to move in space in a particular way.
>>
File: 1454836160561.jpg (100 KB, 830x830) Image search: [Google]
1454836160561.jpg
100 KB, 830x830
>>53353151
>yfw pepe is a grill now
>>
>>53354216
Ah yes, meant pay the least for the best
>>
File: stallmandrake.jpg (50 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
stallmandrake.jpg
50 KB, 690x460
>mfw three years ago I tell /g/ I'm going to school for game dev

>mfw they tell me I'm fucked and to get out while I can

>mfw they tell me I'll never get a job

>mfw I'm actively worrying about this for a year while in school

>mfw I finally decide to turn it around, realize there all NEETs and follow my passion.

>mfw I bust my ass and spend all my free time programming and just making games and Im loving it

>mfw when I drive hours to go to game dev meet ups actually network

>mfw I get a internship at a triple A game dev company.

>mfw when they hire my with amazing benefits and a super relaxed and chill environment, been there 9 months, not a sec of over time

>mfw when I'm making 75k at 21 years old and still loving to go into working everyday.

>mfw /g/ is wrong
>>
No.

Video gaming is actually the most stressful and demanding in terms of engineering knowledge and programming languages, c# and c++ (or c) considered to be "harder."

The lowest stress, easiest to do field is actually web dev, unless you're writing a 100,000+ user backends but I guess exceptions are everywhere.
>>
>>53354235
>>53354173

How do you think 3D games work? Think about all the transformations from world-space to camera-space, think about how animation works, you have to know about transformation matrices, etc. Lighting would need to know about normal vectors of the surfaces, and how to do operations on that to compute what kind of shading happens, and that's just the most basic stuff. The stuff you actually see in modern games is a lot more complex. Also, quaternions.
>>
>>53354382

Thought it might be the camera space transformation, but wasn't sure enough to mention it. I certainly wouldn't have put it as camera space before you mentioned it that way. In my head the idea of projection of a 3D space onto a 2D view. Unfortunately, (or not games aren't really my thing) my day to day is web, mobile dev and statistics stuff so very little on 3D since college.

I do think is pretty interesting. Cool stuff. I miss doing serious math.
>>
>>53353151
They have higher amounts of applicants because of "mom I'm gonna maek vidya" kids going into CS and as a result they can demand better and better tradesmen because of this
A kid fresh out of college will be more inclined to program shitty vidya than manage the payroll program at a news agency so they have higher requirements
>>
>>53354496
The actual engines that drive 3D games are fascinating.

The math behind them is incredibly complex, and optimizing them is something that I personally find very interesting. Even if it is mostly >muh triangles
>>
>>53354382
It's been a long time since people wirte those codes from scratch. You have libraries like OpenGL, and maybe the people like Carmack who made game engines need to know all details. The rest who just script from the engine don't need it as much details.
>>
>>53354710

You still need to know about transformation matrices, inverses, cross products, dot products, quaternions, etc, even if you're using an engine.

Ever wonder why opengl functions require you to pass in matrices all the time?
>>
>>53354770
>You still need to know about transformation matrices, inverses, cross products, dot products, quaternions, etc, even if you're using an engine.

not really. ever used unreal engine or cryengine?
>>
That's weird because it seems to me very few companies can actually afford to make engines from scratch. Most of them probably use a premade one that they customise.

Not to mention that the new generations of gamers are easy to please with cheap graphics. I mean look at League of Legends, their engine is using flash graphics, the UI too.

It shows you don't have to invest tens of millions in quality engines, as long as you have sparkling graphics, nobody is going to be able to say whether that was made from scratch in C++ and shaders or just some flash with the game logic in C++.
>>
>>53354770
You can learn the basics in an afternoon. I learned enough to write my own 3D routines in Turbo Pascal, with only using small bit of inline asm for putpixel. Yeah it was entirely from scractch and wrote to video memory in mode 13h (the easiest and most common way in DOS).
Anyway it was nothing fancy, just a wireframe engine, but it was 3D , and all from scratch, and without taking full linear algebra course (except what they already taught us in high school).
>>
>>53354785

So one thing that is true of pretty much every software tool is that you don't need to know how is works until it starts to break down in an edge case. Then if you don't understand the underlying principles of the thing you are totally fucked. This is not to say you should be able to write that engine from scratch, but when you do have to hack something you shouldn't be totally lost on what the hell it is up to from a technical perspective.
>>
>>53353151
Because everyone (most people) goes into CS to make games. They are willing to starve, be beaten up and work 20 hours per day for the same amount of money like someone from India and any video game companies can choose between the best because everyone wants to do it regardless of pay.
>>
>>53354260
Your face certainly doesn't seem very happy, making that peasantry 75k
>>
>>53354313
Agreed. Web dev is a pretty cushy job, and there's always going to be a good demand for your services especially when using fast changing frameworks like ruby on rails and whatever the current hyped up javascript frontend is.
>>
>>53354216
They have low wages because everyone wants to be a game dev

Guys will work for peanuts just to be able to make games instead of boring business software
>>
>>53354260
>>mfw I bust my ass and spend all my free time programming
you're an outlier op. congrats, you probably could be making double that fairly easily in a diff field but hey you're doing what you love and that's just supah dupah
>>
>>53353221
No nose
>>
>>53358783
This is true and it's fucking sad.
The school I went to started out with 143 kids in the game dev program.

There were 18 in my graduating class.

I'm the only one with a job in game development.
>>
>>53353151
>I thought that was were all the losers go
Exactly, everyone wants to be a game dev, especially the artsy parts.

>they are underpaid and overworked
>but it seems like those jobs are the hardest to get.
Yeah, because there's a lot of people who want to work for them them. Same with all fields.
>>
>>53353151
>wtf, I thought that was were all the losers go
It is, you get enslaved there for the "privilege to work on games".
>>
File: pepe.jpg (282 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
282 KB, 1500x1500
>>53353151
>>53353395
reality always surpasses fiction
>>
>>53361765
Dum frogposter
>>
>>53358783
If he's having a lot of fun it might feel like he's already making double.

75k a year is a fine salary if he's not living in a high cost of living area like SF or NYC.
>>
>>53354052
Get off your high horse faggot, you'll be out of a job soon enough when they make a template site for Normie's to make their faggot snowflake versions of candy crush dumbass.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.