[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to do software development in Windows for the first time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: 512px-Cygwin_logo.svg.png (9 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
512px-Cygwin_logo.svg.png
9 KB, 512x512
I need to do software development in Windows for the first time in my career (been using OS X and Linux for years). The Windows command line is a complete abortion. Is there any way to make my dev environment more unix-like? Is cygwin still the best offering?
>>
>>53351532
> abortion
maybe you meant abomination

yes cygwin is very good
you can even habe your own Xserver desktop in a Windows with your favourite WM (like mwm, fvwm ...)
>>
File: 4038939519_429d27ac66_z.jpg (97 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
4038939519_429d27ac66_z.jpg
97 KB, 640x427
Cygwin is pretty good. I don't use it for its shell though because bash is pretty slow. If you need tab completion more like bash-completion, install Clink (http://mridgers.github.io/clink/). Also consider learning Powershell instead of using old-ass cmd/batch. Its very sleek and... powerful
>>
>>53351532
There's co-linux if you actually want Linux on windows. But it's painfully out of date, not to mention that upgrading has been something of a headache (at least for me). If you don't mind this, try it. Otherwise, Cygwin is probably better for you.
>>
I use MSYS2, it uses Paxman as package manager.
>>
Install ConEmu
>>
Chocolatey + Cmder
>>
>>53351532
I recommend Cygwin, the only issue is it has a slow start up so you'll want to keep a terminal open if you plan to use it a lot. Other than that you should be able to use all of it's commands through powershell/command prompt if you setup a path to it's bin folder.
>>
>>53351532
If you use Cygwin, remember to install git so you can download apt-cyg
https://github.com/kou1okada/apt-cyg.git
It's not nessecary but it makes life easier.
>>
File: 1454300863909.gif (568 KB, 240x291) Image search: [Google]
1454300863909.gif
568 KB, 240x291
>>53353369
>>
File: msys2.png (269 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
msys2.png
269 KB, 1920x1200
>>53353276
>MSYS2
Indeed, msys2 is all the rage. Basically GNU/Win32 archlinux.

>>53351665
Clink is buggy as fuck. Why not mintty + actual bash? The only caveat is to configure it to run native console binaries through winpty.
>>
>>53354795
Does MSYS2 have sudo in any package? I like Cygwin. but I hate how it doesn't have either su or sudo unless you make a less effective script that does a similar job.
>>
be aware of babun.io
>>
>>53354930
What about babun.io?
>>
>>53354975
>malware
>bloat
>>
>>53351532
Cygwin was good when I used it.

You could install a *nix environment if you wanted to though.
>>
>>53351532
use a VM, cygwin/mingw/msys is like wine, it'll never be good enough, when you start using it you've already lost
>>
the windows developers at work use power shell and a lot of IDE shit.

It seems like with windows, the IDE Is the way to go.
>>
>>53355036
he probably has to compile with windows libraries and use windows sys calls.
>>
>>53355065
then he needs to use the vc++ compiler, mingw isn't a viable replacement

anyway putting UnxUtils in your PATH helps
>>
>>53354908
No, just use runas (or alias it to whatever) to elevate your privs.

Thats the general trouble with cygwin, it's tryhard posix and ends up being ass slow - whereas msys2 is pretty much just "good enough" for most posix-expecting software to work.
>>
>>53351532
yes by adding cygwin to your path you get commands like "grep" and "g++" in the windows command prompt.
there are also other command prompts like "cmder" that you can use.
>>
File: vagrant.png (70 KB, 835x726) Image search: [Google]
vagrant.png
70 KB, 835x726
>>53351532
> not using babun and vagrant to run a headless ubuntu
>>
>>53355441
What's so special about that?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.