[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intruduction to programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (17 KB, 258x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
17 KB, 258x194
Newfag here with a huge interest in programming but no knowledge at all. I've been thinking about learning by myself because I'm broke as fuck but have no idea where to start. The big question i have is what language should i learn first and that is the whole reason of this post.

TL;DR

What programming language should i learn as a complete newbie in the area?
>>
>>53350014
Go to codeacademy and do the python course.
>>
>>53350076
found the faggot
>>
Go for anything to get the motor running then when you're more aware of what it is you want, hone in.

I started with C, which is not OOP, which is standard in a lot of software, but I think it made me more aware of how computers and programming work in general. There are loads of resources and means to Polish your skills out there, for instance you could aim to contribute to the Linux kernel, which is written in C.
>>
>>53350014
Read "CODE" by Petzold. Then read K&R C and do all the exercises. Then, read SICP.

Good luck.
>>
>>53350014
You should check out the CS50 course on edx, helped me getting started
>>
C and matlab
>>
>>53350014
C is pretty good
>>
cs50 is a good idea, so is Learn C the hard way although people hate it here

personally i like "Learn To Program" by Chris Pine which uses Ruby

protip: the language doesn't matter much, you'll be frustrated by variables and for loops and array indexes just the same in any language.

takes a few months to get over the initial hump. it's totally normal.
>>
>>53350014
Depends on your age, situation in life, and if/how quickly you want to make a living out of it.

Either way, don't fall into the trap of studying many different languages without doing real programming. Just learn 2 languages and then start working on real projects

Starter language (pick one): Python, C, or Java
Second language (don't pick the same one): C, Java, C++, C#, JavaScript or Lisp

Choose based on your goals and aspirations. Don't learn a third language unless it's necessary to complete a project. You'll likely end up picking up extra languages anyway but don't study for no reason. It's much better to be a master of two languages than mediocre at many. And at the end of the day most languages share the same base concepts so if you can solve problems in one language then you can solve problems in others.

Final note: you CAN continue studying other things after learning two languages, especially if you're after a job. There are free coursera courses on algorithms and data structures for instance. And learning how to use Linux is also important for a number of workplaces. Just don't focus on learning languages.
>>
>>53351641
>you'll be frustrated by variables and for loops and array indexes just the same in any language.

not if you use lisp. OP, go purchase a copy of the little schemer.
>>
>>53350014
Assembly is probably the most beginner friendly
>>
>>53351678
Listen to him OP.
>>
>>53350198
Is it okay to start with SICP or is learning C first important?
>>
>>53352644
Learning.C will allow you to put into practice the theory presented in computation theory
>>
it's not what you think it will be

and you're more likely to make money writing freelance articles
>>
>>53350014
>>53351678
This. I recommend C into C++ or Java. Study up on algorithms on coursera (do the main scheduled course). Emphasis on projects.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.