[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of python? is it a meme or a good language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: python.png (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
python.png
8 KB, 200x200
What do you guys think of python?
is it a meme or a good language?
>>
>>53336638
probably the best language for general programming
>>
>>53336667
what do you mean by general programming?
>>
It's a useful tool just for its commonality
You can tie everything together with python
>>
In all the /dpt/ threads they all say python is shit. is that a meme or do they really think its shit.
>inb4 newfag
I am a /g/ newfag
>>
in terms of language design, it's pretty good. it's probably the best-designed you can use for a web application. i don't mind dynamic typing, as long as it's strong. it gives helpful exceptions. a lot of the features of the language are trying to steer people towards best practices. for x in y and some of the other built in iterators are handy as fuck.

in terms of organisation, they really fucked up with the whole python 2/3 thing, they should have done incremental changes and deprecation warnings

however, it depends on the application. i've used python a lot for sciency stuff. it's also good for web development. if you want to make games you should not use python. i have also found that deploying proper python 'applications' on windows is a huge pain in the ass. enaml is a really good framework if you want to build some kind of generic desktop application.
>>
>>53336638
So long as you don't need speed, It's a pretty good language.
>>
>>53336747
the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks
>>
>>53336689
I think he means general purpose.
>>
>>53336726
It means it isn't perfect. Thus it is shit.
In /dpt/ perfect is the enemy of good.
>>
>>53336638
meme
but a good meme
>>
>>53336689

General purpose. If you really need to just throw together an application, on the fly, without adhereing to any particular restrictions/requirements.
>>
>>53336989
Dynamic typing and shitty docs make it far from perfect. I'd rather go all out and use Typescript with node
>>
How can i use this language with a good UI and make some GUI app, and executing this app without taking 5-7 sec to start on executable compilation.

Mybad
>>
>>53337246
Oh and the utf fiasco. What an awful, awful mess. Writing REST stuff with python can be hell
>>
File: penn_jillette.jpg (31 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
penn_jillette.jpg
31 KB, 300x400
>mandatory whitespaces and tabs
>>
>>53337276
its like an anti shitty code lenguage
>>
>>53337276
Can you explain in a couple of points why that's bad?
>>
I prefer it to R for learning
>>
>>53337276
And? It works fine.
>>
I find Python to be the most enjoyable to code in for small to medium projects. Large projects become more work to manage, but with a good design and consistent conventions it can still be a good language to use too. Speed will be an issue with any CPU bound task, but I/O ones it can handle quite well. It's a good tool for many different problems. Raw speed? Not by itself. There are certain ways to try and improve this (Numba, PyPy, Pyston, Pyjion, Cython, etc.) each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and varying approaches. It seems that raw speed is a concern and many current projects are looking into different JIT approaches, but it won't match something lower level with a chance for better optimizations. Research your task and see if Python will be able to assist you, before jumping in and assuming it works like Java, etc. You will be sorely mistaken.
>>
>>53337246
Type annotations in 3.5 work wonders there. Tooling is still catching up with the feature (no pylint warnings for incorrect types) but Pycharm's linter supports it pretty well.
>>
>>53337263
REST in python is very easy if you use django rest framework.

Now, if you want to make a _performant_ webserver in python, then you're going to have a bad time.
>>
It became a meme language, only pajeet poorfags are still using it.
>>
>>53336638
Python is a good scripting language, automating things etc. Would recommend C or C# for general programming
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.