[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Certs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (35 KB, 402x173) Image search: [Google]
image.png
35 KB, 402x173
Just failed my first MCSA exam, ask me anything.
>>
Why would you do that?
>>
>>53332201
Do what, specifically?
>>
Are you going to try again or are you a failure who is broken now.
>>
>>53332216
I am gonna try again in 2 weeks. Pretty confident that I'll pass pretty easily the next time.
>>
Which exam did you take?
>>
Why microsoft?
>>
>>53332277
70-410 Installing server 2012 r2

>>53332320
Linux certs aren't really that valuable.
>>
>>53332191
Are you Indian?

Do you regret your decision?

What is your current job?
>>
>>53333045
White
No I don't, I'll get a 10% raise once I get my cert
I am a sysadmin
>>
>>53332191
>70-410
how the fuck does someone fail something like this?
>>
How did you get a sysadmin job without any server certs?
>>
>>53333540
I studied about 1 week and spent 40 minutes on the test, there is a lot of content in the exam that has nothing to do with anything I've ever done at work, for instance, I have never worked at a place that didn't already have GPOs and a forest/domain setup.

>>53333704
Get hired as junior desktop support tech
become regular desktop support tech
become lead desktop support tech
switch jobs to hybrid desktop support/jr sysadmin role
switch jobs again as a full time sysadmin

While certs are common in IT, they are not everything. The highest paid person I know doesn't have a single cert and the biggest idiot I ever worked with had a ton of certs.

I'm at the 5 year mark and certs are a good way of adding a little bit of extra differentiation, enabling a higher tier of pay.
>>
>>53332320
Because most companies use MS servers and shit.
>>
>>53332191
Are there any easy certs to obtain to fill up resume with?
>>
>>53334480
yep

>>53334510
Too many certs are a red flag.

If you are just starting out, get an A+ or something, also getting a cert before you have experience is a red flag too.

Really you should only have certs for things you have hands on experience unless it is beginning tier.
>>
>>53334570
How are too many certs bad?
>>
>>53334624
Because in IT there are people known as paper certs, basically folks who just make a hobby of getting certs that have no application to anything they do, often times they'll get info from a brain dump and have no actual knowledge on the subject.

This is common enough that when you see a guy with something like 8-9 different certs his resume gets trashed.
>>
this cert sounds like some kind of meme.

how hard is it to ref material on demand anyhow.

I don't get this shit
>>
>>53334665
Scary, guess I'll not try and get certs then. I'm just looking for my first job,
>>
>>53334683
The exam wasn't that hard, I finished in 45 minutes. It had a 2 hour time limit. I just reviewed some of the objectives MS had on their website and went in with light preparation. My missed passing by a few percentage points, in 2 weeks I will probably crush it.
>>
>>53334699
An A+ is fine and expected, it'll count for about 6 months of experience.
>>
>>53334732
What sort of place would one inquire for a first/beginner IT job?
>>
>>53334750
I started at a consulting firm that was hiring out desktop support contractors for 1-2 month projects at large tech companies.
>>
>>53334722
>The exam wasn't that hard,

I bet. which is why the whole thing is perplexing.
>>
>>53334832
There was a lot of stuff that if you didn't have specific knowledge of going in, you just had a 10-25% chance of getting right.
>>
>>53334853
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

like. what is the point of this cert?
>>
>>53334879
I think of it like an a+ or net+

Just something to get you past hr but not something so advanced or specialized that it raises red flags about being a braindump tier cert monkey.
>>
>>53334879
It's easy for me because I've been working with windows server 2012 r2 since 2014. Doing DNS, DHCP, fmso roles, global catalogs, hyper-v, active directory, file and print services, powershell, dism.

Someone without any experience would have a really tough time with it. It basically proves that the experience that you list on your resume isn't fake. I learned a little bit about GPOs and I also learned that our AD structure is overly complex, once I finish my cert I'll talk to my manager about simplifying our domain structure a little bit.

The biggest surprise is how much they put hyper-v in all the different server 2012 exams, I would expect that hyper-v would be its own MCSE path, but I guess not.

>>53334926
To be honest looking at the 411,412,413 & 414, I think I could do better on those tests with the same amount of prep, they have a lot more to do with my day to day duties, I don't spend that much time spinning up 2012 servers.
>>
>>53333827
any advice on how to get started in your industry with no experience? also how much knowledge did you hhave when you started
>>
>>53335169
Pimp yourself out to IT consulting companies, the starting position in IT is a contractor, most companies will not hire people with no experience.

I had a home lab before I started, also growing up my dad was a sysadmin (he's a CIO now) and my knowledge was pretty good.

Finding a mentor was the thing that helped me out the most, for me my first mentor was a guy I played wow with who was very much a FreeBSD guy, he taught me linux, which really taught me how computers work much better than windows could. Knowing linux was a pretty big differentiator in interviews, the hiring manager was always pleasantly surprised.
>>
Anyone got a CCNP R+S?
How much harder is it than CCNA R+S?
What's your salary and job?

Would moving to the US be smarter financially than staying in the US (from a Cisco certified employability standpoint)
>>
>>53335442
My company had 2 network engineers, one CCNA r+s and the other ccnp r+s the CCNP just bounced, he was much higher paid than the other ccna guy. the CCNA guy also had very high esteem for him.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.