[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Diskeeper Thread How often do you guys defrag your HDD's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Diskeeper | servaplex.jpg (9 KB, 235x183) Image search: [Google]
Diskeeper | servaplex.jpg
9 KB, 235x183
>Diskeeper Thread

How often do you guys defrag your HDD's?
Excusing those with SSD's, defragmenting to me is one of those super needy things to do, but I've been doing it lately.
>>
>>53327420
I use linux so i don't have those problems.
>>
>>53327441
Does Linux defrag intelligently? I've been using this Diskeeper and it shows how it's working but I'm wondering if the performance gain is few and far between.
>>
>>53327420
Yes goy, keep defragging your hdd, it sure make it more faster and not put inecessary wear on it!

Seriously though, like, do you install and uninstall software that much that you need to defrag OP?
Don't tell me you don't have a partition for data apart from the os partition?
>>
>>53327466
Linux uses a different filesystem than windows that does not need to be defragmented.

Also dubs checked.
>>
>>53327491
Also, any "defrag" software is just an GUI that use the windows defragmentation API, if you're using anything else but MyDefrag you're doing it wrong OP.
>>
>>53327466
linux filesystems are more intelligent in how they place things on disk in the first place

they keep fragmentation down by avoiding it in the first place
>>
>>53327466
ext (and other filesystems probably) filesystems tend to allocate files avoiding fragmentation.

As long as there's free space on your drive (like less than 80-90% full) the fragmentation level is miniscule.
And when fragmentation does occur, FS is designed to correct it during normal use.

You have to take in consideration that unlike ext4, NTFS is ancient as fuck, with it's last version number dating back to 2001.

Also NTFS is a huge pile of crap, there was a blog by some anonymous microsoft employee who claimed that it's so broken everyone's afraid to even make an attempt to fix it.

I still wonder why Currysoft hasn't switched to ReFS
>>
>>53327508
I had a guy who has various computing academia and server infrastructure background recommend me diskeeper; how is MyDefrag any better?
>>
>>53327547
Because both use the same windows defragmentation api, are you blind or you cannot read?
Does diskeeper allow for custom defrag scripts? No? I thought so.
>>
>>53327568
It acts, from what I believe, the same way as Linux and corrects fragmentation on the fly. That's why I was recommended it.
>>
>>53327589
Exactly, that's what the native windows api do, so does my defrag, but you can use customized defrag script so it sort files whatever you like.
That's a fucking must for every IT worker that know what he is doing, your friend sound like a true pleb.
>>
>>53327589
no windows program can make ntfs avoid fragmentation like ext* does
the best it can do is monitor for changes and defragment them soon afterwards

while it'd keep fragmentation down, it would also increase hdd load while you're actively using the machine

it's a better idea to run defragmentation as a batch job when you're not actively using the machine (such as what mydefrag does)
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>OP Tries to shill a PAYWARE defragmentation tool that use the same windows api that every free tool use but with less functionality!
>mfw
>>
>>53327643
Well diskeeper, from my day's worth of experience, defrags files that are fragmented as and when they're opened.

And again, I've been told, that yes it may use the Windows API but the diskeeper process is the intelligent part that ensures disk defragmentation is processed intelligently.
>>
>>53327716
They don't pay you enough to do this shitty advertising job pajet, go back to shilling microsoft products please.
>>
>>53327716
that's nice dear

if you really prefer to see a low fragmentation percentage over actual performance improvements
>>
I have a macbook from 2007 and I've never defragged it or reinstalled the OS.
>>
>>53327716
That's the windows defragmentation api feature, not your shitty software feature Ahab
>>53327745
Cool story bruh
>>
I let windows decide that, otherwise I just let it become highly fragmented
>>
>>53327466
Linux file systems are usually non-fragmenting, thus fragmentation only becomes an issue when the disks are nearly full.
>>
>>53327753
If it was a feature already, then why do I have such high fragmentation then?
>>
>>53327745
ewwww
>>
>>53327763
Because you're using window xP, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 have automatic defragmentation settings, but they work better on 8.1 and 10.
>>
>>53327790
I'm using 7 but it is pretty bad.
>>
>>53327798
Show me a screenshot of the windows defragger now if you please
>>
>>53327806
I'm not on my PC right now and I've had my Diskeeper analysis up showing about 50% fragmentation.
>>
>>53327825
So you're just posting lies, you can't post PROOF right now, ok, so your software is shit and cannot do anything else than windows doesn't do already.
OK Mr. Shill.
Your advertising wont work here, you can leave now if you dont want to embarass yourself any further
>>
File: Not as bad as I thought.jpg (135 KB, 811x579) Image search: [Google]
Not as bad as I thought.jpg
135 KB, 811x579
>>53327839
Sorry, I was wrong. It's not as bad as I thought.
>>
>>53328041
Post now the windows defragger window.
>>
>>53328053
I don't have it anymore because Diskeeper supersedes it.
>>
>>53328137
That's a lie, post it now anon.
>>
File: NOPE.png (68 KB, 396x469) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.png
68 KB, 396x469
>>53328141
>>
>>53328164
So there you go.
>>
>>53328164
>>53328542
Right click Local Disk C:, Properties, Tools, Defrag
Cmon, even a shitty shill like you can do this.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.