[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's advantages does BSD have over Ganoo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 14491820394.jpg (86 KB, 999x810) Image search: [Google]
14491820394.jpg
86 KB, 999x810
What's advantages does BSD have over Ganoo?
>>
None, it's shit
>>
>>53326702
both plays your stupid anime
now fuck off
>>
Nobody uses it, so you are part of la apurg seegredd glubb.
>>
>>53326702
>>/sqt/

>>53326768
>>>/v/

>>53326782
>>53326791
>>>/b/
>>
>>53326702

Licenses. That's a mixed bag. I'm a GNU + Freedom guy.

I do prefer pfSense (based off FreeBSD) over anything I've tried on the GNU+Linux distros. Would have said ZFS was a plus for BSD, but with Ubuntu getting it in their next LTS it's only a matter of time till the better distros get it to.
>>
you can sell it to hipsters and call it Mac OS X
>>
>>53326702
>onii-chan
B-but you're older than me.
>>
>>53326702
The following apply to most of the major BSD variants. Remember that they are different and independent operating systems, though.
>Permissive licensing
Which only makes a difference if you include the code in your project.
>generally better structured code
>not using GNU code standards
This is enough of a boon already as far as I care.
>usually fewer lines of code allowing a less buggy and easier diagnosable system
>excellent networking stack (especially NetBSD) and firewalling (especially OpenBSD)
>Genuine Unix heritage
Mostly interesting for historical reasons.
>Conservative development atmosphere, most definitely no systemd.
Some specific features from dfferent BSD forks:
>FreeBSD and NetBSD can run (limitedly) Linux binaries. The reverse is not possible.
>FreeBSD has ZFS easily and well integrated.
>OpenBSD audits code periodically and finds and fixes bugs very effectively.
>FreeBSD (possibly others) only use code that's standards compliant enough to build on Clang in addition to GCC.
>NetBSD and OpenBSD are highly portable. As of today Linux runs on more platforms, but more code has to be changed and more man-hours invested in porting Linux to a new architecture.
Advantages of GNU:
>Generally more features and options compared to other implementations of utilities, often to the point of bloatedness.
>>
People don't get it
The only reason anyone should or would use BSD over lanoox is as a server but poonicks is just easier and better documented so it will almost always be easier to get started
>>
>>53327188
i think openbsd is starting to sacrifice portability these days, if we're talking about only porting parts of it (like the userland)

pledge just isn't portable
>>
>>53327486
>is as a server
Plenty of people are satisfied with bsd on their desktops.

>poonicks is just easier and better documented
You clearly haven't looked at the BSD documentations.
>>
>>53329574
Pledge is portable to any POSIX environment.
>>
>>53330495
Really?

I thought Theo said it wasn't portable, according to the talk I saw.
>>
>>53330597
Inasmuch as the API isn't stable yet, yeah. If they ever stabalise it, it can be integrated into other operating systems, though some poorly designed system libraries (e.g. glibc) would also need refactoring. Certainly there is no insurmountable obstacle preventing its adoption in NetBSD, Minix, Dragonfly BSD or (last and least) FreeBSD.
>>
>>53331346
Oh, well that's nice to know at least.

I think other systems will half-ass it when the time comes though.
>>
>>53327486
>easier
debatable
>and better documented
lolnope
>>
>>53330422
>Plenty of people are satisfied with bsd on their desktops.
I wouldn't say that the entire BSD community is "plenty of people"
>>
>>53331892
What do you mean by that?
Not everybody in the "BSD community" runs bsd on their desktop/laptop.
>>
witchcult today > dopethrone
>>
>>53326807

>>>/out/
>>
>>53326702
FreeBSD modular, secure, stable.
FreeBSD ports "father" of Gentoo Portage but in shell.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.