[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Laptops come with built in >screen >keyboard >mouse(touchpad)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Laptops come with built in
>screen
>keyboard
>mouse(touchpad)
>wireless
>speakers
>portability
>battery

And offer competent performance within a much smaller thermal bracket and lower energy consumption.

Why do so many people claim they're overpriced compared to desktops? They're actually pretty good for the price they charge.
>>
>>53326404
Lmao try rendering several 1080p videos simultaneously on a laptop at the same pricepoint of a desktop workstation
>>
>>53326404
because if you dont need portability desktops offer greater speed for half the price.

Yes you get alot, but if you dont need that one feature its a useless package to buy.
>>
>>53326440
>half the price
While a laptop may offer better performance I'm curious about the price difference between an i3 laptop and i3 desktop when you factor in all the extras like screen and peripherals
>>
nobodys

what?

you fucktard, nobodys claiming that, some people just need more power than laptops can provide, which they will use at the same desk every day, so portability isnt an issue

youre a stupid human being, are you aware of that? im not just saying this is a stupid question, im saying you are objectively unintelligent
>>
>>53326437
Lmao try browsing 4chan on plane or cafeteria of university on a your desktop.
>>
>>53326486
We have phones for this
>>
>>53326483

you know what man, i just woke up. that was unnecessary. im sorry.

but really, nobody is saying that about laptops. the issue is power for commercial projects. rendering, 3d design, stuff like that
>>
>>53326548
>>53326483
>>53326437
That's what a desktop is for though. Laptops have to stay within a much lower tdp and therefore lower performance.

However, despite offering less performance, here is the cheapest skylake i3 I could build.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Q4Wd3C

And pic related is the cheapest i3 laptop I found from msy.

Is there really that much difference in performance per dollar cost?
>>
>>53326641
Also the laptop offers much better performance per Watt.
>>
>>53326548
>nobody is saying that about laptops

I've seen it mentioned on this board a few times.
One of my friends told me when I was buying my laptop.

For some people this is actually something they believe
>>
>>53326641

not really. but theres less modularity. its much harder to completely overhaul a laptop piece by piece.
>>
>>53326709
That's true. I tried to build them as similar as I could, same ram amd hdd.

But while the desktop is more modular, it's also much less portable.
>>
>>53326477
(Canadian here) you're looking at minimum 800-900 for a laptop with a 960m here. 600-700 with reasonable amd dedicated graphics.

Laptop prices aren't too bad if you're not looking for dedicated graphics though. I paid 900 for my lenovo ultrabook i7 1080p. Display is absolute garbage though and has the worst viewing angles I've ever seen on a laptop in that range.
>>
There is more tech packed in to smart phones than were ever in laptops. Even less in desktops.
>>
>>53326502
>using personal tracking device
>>
>>53326477
You've also got to remember that a mobile i7 is the equivalent to a desktop i3 in some cases
>>
>>53327555
U wot m8. I7 Mq 4700 @ 3.4 ghz here. I performance how?
>>
>>53327757
>Below 4 ghz
>Thinks his mobile processor can compete with desktops
topkek
>>
>>53327555
This.

A desktop i3 isn't the same as a laptop i3.
It is way more powerful.
Comparing a laptop with an i7 to a desktop with an i3 is much more fair.
>>
>>53327811
Oh right because an i3 has so much cache
>>
>>53326404
Better yet, newer laptops are coming with USB-C so e-gpu's will be acceptable(already works with mac)
>>
>>53326404
Half or less performance at same price point
>>
>>53327931
can you throw a desktop like a frisbee? I don't think so
>>
>>53327941
Point taken
>>
>>53327931

The performance is deskbound, it's less useful in many situations.
>>
>>53327263
>doing illegal shit
>>
>>53327964
If you talk about actual performance, a desktop that is running cpu and/or gpu 100% will perform faster and longer than a laptop doing the same on the go because your battery-bound.

If you're not using actual "performance", aka just browsing and doing basic stuff on the go of course the laptop will be more useful.
>>
Falls apart once you need to do 3D.

>MUH GAYEMS
rendering, CAD, blender etc.

Portable chipset will never be as fast as desktop, and even if they were, they would overheat. Yes you can get an eGPU and a dock but it is still never going to be as good as a workstation card. If you don't need this then carry on
>>
Laptops are good for people that travel alot or just want to watch videos/browse some stuff in Internet. Prices for Laptop till 500$ are completly ok they offer great Performance for that money since theres build in stuff. But when it gets higher than 500$ then I'd prefer a PC because it has much higher upgrade cap'
>>
>>53326404
Don't listen to them. They're just stupid gaymurs. Desktop computers are dead for years and now even laptops are dying because normies are just using their smartphones for everything
>>
>>53327757
ok for a mobile processor, not bad, again it can't perfectly compete with desktop equivalents though.
There's a fair few mobile i7's that are dual core... with hyperthreading... which is a fucking i3
>i7-4610M
>>
>>53328025
this, both sides are keeping the same chip socket for a long time now vs the 2000s and you can just upgrade one part and spend $200 instead of rebuying the whole $800+ laptop

>>53328078
Again this has been said since 2008 with the "death of PCs" always "this year" and every business still needs windows and desktops or laptops, the video game industry no matter how childish you think it is is a multibillion one and desktops aren't going anywhere for a long time.
>>
File: deskbottom.png (29 KB, 562x338) Image search: [Google]
deskbottom.png
29 KB, 562x338
>>53326404
Where can I find a reasonably priced laptop that matches my desktop? Picture for reference.
>>
File: heavyshit.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
heavyshit.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
>>53329548
>Mem: 132138232k total
That's 132 GB.
>>
>>53326486
>implying I can't
>>
>>53330224
he is probably NSA
>>
>>53326486
>implying I can't
>>
>>53326404
Seriously, you're listing a shitty keyboard, touchpad, and speakers as a plus for laptops? You could literally get similar quality desktop keyboard, mouse, and speakers for about $5 total.

What I don't get is how many people find 12-15" screens acceptable in this day and age. That's about enough space to run one application at a time (somewhat) comfortably.

The only advantage laptops have is portability, and it's a legit advantage. Other than that they're complete shit. Proprietary and disposable.
>>
>>53331490
See
>>53326641
>>
>>53326641
>pcpartpicker custom one-off vs mass-produced laptop
That's not a good comparison. You're adding a middle-man or two for your desktop components. Compare the laptop with a mass-produced desktop PC and you'll get closer. Actually even beyond that, pcpartpicker really doesn't show the lowest-end components. FOr instance, you can pick up a 19" 1440x900 LCD with built-in speakers for $70 new if you do a few quick searches on amazon or froogle.
>>
I don't get the point of this post, stop being poor and have one of each.

Laptop for on the go and at Uni and desktop back at your Apartment :^) cmon senpai
>>
>>53331826
Pre-built desktops are even more expensive than custom made and uses worse components.

>>53331860
I have a vaio i7 laptop and an i7 870 desktop at home
>>
>>53331860
Also point of this thread is people thinking laptops are poor value machines are morons
>>
>>53326641
There's a vast difference in performance between that i3 5005U (which is Broadwell, not Skylake anyway) and the Skylake i3. The desktop CPU is clocked at nearly double the frequency as that mobile chip, those do not belong in the same category in any way and are not similar.
>>
>>53331921
>pre-built
>more expensive

Oh?
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/ideacentre/300-series/
>>
>>53331960
They are unless you need to take them around often, but then again tablets and smart phones are a good replacement for the most of the time.
>>
>>53331960
You have 2 choices with laptops, you either get a terrible, cheap, "good value" machine that will lack severely in at least one department (if not several, chief among these being screen quality and battery life, also heat management) or you get a good machine, but it's going to be so expensive that a equivalently priced desktop would absolutely destroy it in terms of performance, especially if a GPU is involved.
>>
>>53326437
>Lmao try rendering several 1080p videos simultaneously on a desktop workstation at the same pricepoint of a render farm
>FTFY
>>
>>53332006
I see your point, it's same price as the laptop.
But does it come with a keyboard and mouse? Those prebuilts are pretty much just laptops in desktop form factors.

>>53332092
I haven't had any overly bad experiences with cheap laptops. Used a cheap HP once and the only issue was the fan got a little loud under even the slightest load.
>>
>>53332307
>I haven't had any overly bad experiences with cheap laptops
That depends on what you mean by that, arguably I haven't either. But I don't think you can get a computer with a worse screen than those and the battery life is 2-3h in very light load. The screen alone makes it unpleasant to work on these things, though not impossible.
>>
>>53332402
Battery life may have been shit but now it's improved a lot, to the point where I'm actually considering getting a Lenovo 100s for uni because it offers almost the same battery life as my sony but Is much smaller and lighter.
Cheap screens never bothered me too much since I'm almost always looking at it directly from the front since it'll be sitting in front of me, not next to me. And for web browsing and studying a washed out tn panel will be fine.

Naturally a more expensive laptop will be fine, but these days an atom or pentium laptop is plenty for most people.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.